price and availability of ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so... i decided to learn how to shoot. i have someone who can teach me but i want to supply ammunition. what kind of prices should i expect? this is 9 millimeter gun. how much for a box of, say, a 100 bullets? do they come in boxes of 100 at all? is ammunition easily available in a gun shop or i need to place order? i know i will need a license to buy it, right? does it have to be a license for a 9 millimeter gun or just any gun?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you want to learn to "Shoot" for your personal protection, buy a shotgun, Not a hand gun!
A shotgun is much easier to shoot, when you need it.
It also scares the hell out of anyone looking down the barrel!
If you must shoot, with a shotgun you will most likely hit what you are aiming at, with a hand gun,your shaking hands will make it nearly impossible to hit your target.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Shells are extremely expensive, that is for sure.

And they are going to be even scarcer because the f******g Obama mess is buying billions (10 to the 9th) of rounds for their Homeland Security goons as well as forcing all lead to be manufactured outside the united States allowing them to strangle ammo manufacturers through tariffs and import restrictions. Thereby sidestepping the Second Amendment.

This is a major cluster**** for the American people. This is one guy that needs to be impeached (Fast and Furious; Benghazi; NSA---> the list is almost endless)

So, see if you can find maybe a box of 25 rounds through a friendly general,,,best bet.

HB

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You gonna carry it or leave it home? I like to be armed while driving. If it's home only then shotgun is fine and license is longer and cheaper. Guns and amo are expensive like everything but one thing in the DR. Take some time and you might find a used gun from a gringo who is giving up and going home. Look in the PP gun shops to get an idea of the new prices. I bought a 9mm Daiwoo some years back. It's reliable and was the last expensive. Glad to see you are considering self protection. Have a plan, know the law and practice so you do not make a mistake during an anxious moment. Good luck.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
So how much is a box of 25 shell lets say?

And what is the cost +or- for a standard 9mm + license ?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I think the sale to the public of pistols and ammunition was prohibited 5 or 6 years ago. A gun you can always buy privately, but bullets should be very scarce and expensive if you can find them.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, before you buy any type of firearm go and shoot first. I am told that you are relatively dainty and a 12 gauge shotgun which unfortunately is the only type available here is way too much gun for you and most people. The accepted distance at which one can claim "fear of death" is 21 feet and a shotgun spread with 00 is certainly deadly but not much more than a dinner plate. Before I hear from all the anointed experts on every subject this is a subject that the USGOV has certified me in among others. And please spare me the I am a Vietnam Era veteran point of view. I am not an Era but rather a ground pounder.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
She didnt mention buying a gun. She said she wanted to learn to shoot.

DV8. 9mm ammunition usually comes in boxes of 50. Should be able to purchase at a gun shop. For practicing and learning buy cheap ass ball ammo. I would suggest reimbursing the ur "teacher" or going with him or her to buy the ammo. At least the first time. Of the larger calibers 9mm is the most available ammo in the world. And relatively cheap compared to other less common calibers. Of course 22 caliber is by far the cheapest ammo. Shooting is a blast. My dad taught me with a 22 pistol starting around age 5 or so. When i showed up for the army at 17 i could out shoot anyone in our unit including most of the instructors. Enjoy and be safe.

In the states a box of 50 will run u 10-15 usd for cheap ball ammo. High load and hollow points will be more expensive.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Two months ago I bought some ammo in armeria on Churchill esq Sarasota in SD, it was 1500 pesos for the box of 50 cartridges, 9x19, 115 gr. FMJ, steel case, berdan primed, Made in Russia, (Tula Cartridge Works)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh Santiaguero: She is dainty the way a .44 Magnum is "dainty" in your hands.. SHe is a normal sized woman and if properly trained, she could handle a .12 ga. but the key is "properly" trained.

My Mother, aunts and uncles were all trap and skeet shooters and dainty tho they were (the women) they were excellent shooters. One aunt was nationally ranked back in the 40s.

A much bigger issue--in this country-- is proper training. I have been NRA for decades and since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, I was taught gun safety. Which is why I NEVER go hunting in the DR.
And of course, the second major issue is the cost of ammo...whether it be shotgun or handgun.

HB

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
I think the sale to the public of pistols and ammunition was prohibited 5 or 6 years ago. A gun you can always buy privately, but bullets should be very scarce and expensive if you can find them.
Import to the country was prohibited in 2005. That's why prices are on the rise each year. The sale to the public is OK, just go to any armeria in Santo Domingo :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thank you kenthedentman. you are 100% correct, i do not plan to buy a gun, i only want to learn how to shoot. i have spoken my mind about guns many times. people are regularly killed for their firearms in DR and have it stolen. if military and police have no time/opportunity to use it against the attacker it's not likely that i ever could. ccccc is correct that a shotgun at home is the best option of general protection but a small gun to carry on daily basis by untrained civilian? not so much.

in any case, i want to learn how to shoot. to me guns are very hollywood, kinda costume like. i come from the country where 90% of the population have never seen a real gun, let alone had a chance to use it. i wanted to ask here for current price and availability because i've heard that it is much easier to buy ammunition now and much cheaper. does ammo come in different quality/price range? kinda h&m ammo versus dior or something? now that's something i did not know. an option number two is using a 38 millimeters gun. is the ammunition for this cheaper and easier to find?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Two months ago I bought some ammo in armeria on Churchill esq Sarasota in SD, it was 1500 pesos for the box of 50 cartridges, 9x19, 115 gr. FMJ, steel case, berdan primed, Made in Russia, (Tula Cartridge Works)

i understood nothing but the price :) it this the better quality ammo or more of a cheap ass kind? thanks for giving me the range, it is doable.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
i understood nothing but the price :) it this the better quality ammo or more of a cheap ass kind? thanks for giving me the range, it is doable.
Since the import was prohibited in 2005, we are not able to choose better quality here, usually they have only one Russian or Serbian (or other East European) brand and that's it. You buy this or you buy nothing.

This is what I bought last time:

pra0.jpg

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Yes. There are different grades of ammo. For learning and practicing. U want the cheapest ammo. Personally in my 40sw glock i alternate my ammo one steel jacketed, (the cheap stuff) commonly called ball ammo, then one starfire hollow point. That pistol btw is in the states. It is illegal here. To large. When i am the range i only use ball ammo.

Anyway have a blast. It really is fun to shoot. And it will give u confidence. And it will get rid of bad fear and replace it with healthy respect.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
i come from the country where 90% of the population have never seen a real gun,
I was thinking that every Polish man over 35 knows how to deal with AK and Makarov Pistol, since Poland had compulsory military service for many years, isn't it?

Unfortunately, it's impossible to buy Makarov and ammo for it here in DR. So sad. It's the best gun for self–defense ever made.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Shotgun available

... you might find a used gun from a gringo who is giving up and going home.

I know of a German guy who has already left the country and his shotgun is up for a (legal) sale (in Sos?a).
PM me if interested.

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wow, hernandez, thanks for the picture!

kenthedentman, i also think it is cool to know how to shoot. this is just another skill. i also want to learn how to take the gun apart, clean it and put it together. it sounds like fun thing to be able to do for a dainty woman ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I was thinking that every Polish man over 35 knows how to deal with AK and Makarov Pistol, since Poland had compulsory military service for many years, isn't it?

yes and no. poland had a compulsory army service but it was fairly easy to get out of this if you went to the university, had physical/mental defects or had money to bribe the right people. post war generation thou did not have that many options. my dad, for instance, did 2 years in the army and learnt how to shoot the AK. women, of course did no service at all, ever. i doubt my mom ever saw any guns but she did see lots of grenades because her sister brought them from the forest one day, in her pockets. spoils of war ;)

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Some are easier than others. I can disassemble and reassemble my glock blindfolded in less than 30 seconds. Bought a berreta for the ex wife years ago. It was piece of junk. It was the cougar model 9 mm. It was a pain in the ass to take apart and put back together. And it was misfire about every other shot. I made sure she took it with her when i kicked her to the curb.

Status
Not open for further replies.