Finance advice.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I have a situation where I made a purchase with another person and the best option for financing was if it was done through them, they are listed as owner of the property and the debt.
We've fallen out over various things and are unable to continue any form of relation, professional or other. I could just walk away and dump them with this debt, but that would leave them in a terrible financial situation. And so I am offering to take over the debt. I am told that it is not possible to change the name on the debt and so legally they own the purchase. They have said they will sign it over to me once everything is paid for, which will not be for another 2 1/2 years and so obviously sines they have been such terrible partners over this, and infact quite nasty in general considering I have known them a long time I am not able to trust them. Unfortunately I have also had enough experience with lawyers and courts here to know that anything a lawyer drafts up is not worth squat when competing against Dominicans on their own turf.
Has anyone had a similar situation as this, and if so how was it resolved?

Apr 13, 2011
My opinion - They took on the responsibility of the entire debt (and property) in their name only, so they have the entire responsibility.
You had previously helped with payments due a relationship with this person (whether personal or business does not matter), but it was never your obligation to pay. Everything is in their name. Do not fight for what "could or might happen" in two and a half years.
You should leave the debt with them in every way. If the financial situation is that bad, then they will need to find a new partner to help pay their debt.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Is it movable property or not?

Yes it is movable property. In a perfect world it would all be signed over to me, they can not meet payments on this alone, I can and would like to, but only with a guarantee that it was mine once paid for.

Apr 13, 2011
If you really want this movable property, then you need to find a way to buy it from them - and have it in your name.
Do not just take possession and keep it in their name, because if it stays in their name, they can always claim that you "stole it", especially if the relationship has turned bad/ugly...

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
If you really want this movable property, then you need to find a way to buy it from them - and have it in your name.
Do not just take possession and keep it in their name, because if it stays in their name, they can always claim that you "stole it", especially if the relationship has turned bad/ugly...

I agree, this is the problem, that seems easier said than done.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
why do U care for their terrible financial situation when U say U got to a point where any form of relation has become impossible...

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
why do U care for their terrible financial situation when U say U got to a point where any form of relation has become impossible...

Maybe because I am a decent person and do not feel their family should suffer because of something beyond their control. I also invested in this and so somewhat value my investment, but yes, to walk away would make life easier for me, but who does easy over hear.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Is it a big secret what this is you are talking about? Pay them off and take possession. If they are not willing to do this than walk away.

LTSTeve