Jarabacoa

EddieC

May 8, 2003
Any expats in this area that post to DR-1???
I recently visited and noticed some property for sale in the "Rancho Olivier" area (Kilo. 10.5).
The residential area seems unfinished with a mix of kept and un-kept items.
What is the story here por favor?

Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Yes, we've heard so much about Jarabacoa(DR1'ers): It's some sort of Utopia.:classic:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I wouldn't say it is "utopia".

What makes the difference in Jarabacoa:

One could say it is a tourist town, but it has a large local population that takes pride in Jarabacoa. For years, Jarabacoa has served domestic Dominican tourism and upscale locals that maintain their weekend homes there.
And then many discovered it was a good place to live all year round. Why? The greenery, the lower temperatures (but it does get hot). The manageable size of the town makes a difference. Jarabacoa is petite, but its shops are well stocked with what's needed to make a good barbecue, or sancocho. Most people will drive in from Santo Domingo and shop local. The shopping is part of the fun... running into people.
The beauty parlors are good! It is a land of flowers and everything grows well there, so those who enjoy gardening...
Of course, the people... everyone seems to know each other.
They even have their own forestry university -- small, but has sister programs with Olds College of Alberta, Canada. They have a variety of programs.
Would say Jarabacoa is a wellness town. The greenery has the effect of a spa on the body. It is relaxing.
You can relax as much or be as active as you want -- horseback riding, hiking, river rafting...
My husband is president of the UAFAM, the forestry university, and is there frequently helping to make Jarabacoa even better, so I get to come along and always enjoy the visits.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We have a small house in Jarabacoa. Unlike Dolores, when I visit Jarabacoa, since I have been there so many times, I find the place boring. I look forward to leaving moment I get there. But then I am not a mountain man or a city person. I much prefer being on the coast.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We have a small house in Jarabacoa. Unlike Dolores, when I visit Jarabacoa, since I have been there so many times, I find the place boring. I look forward to leaving moment I get there. But then I am not a mountain man or a city person. I much prefer being on the coast.

Boredom is a state of mind , not being, meaning if you're bored, it's with yourself. It true, there's not much to do in Jarabacoa, but how much can you do at one time. I find I can only take one day at the beach myself, then I HAVE TO FIND A MOUNTAIN TO CLIMB...ETC.

williamrcole

Jan 28, 2014
I agree with your comments. By the way we live next door to UAFAM. Is there a way to get involved? Are there jobs for Americans there?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
UAFAM is restructuring. They will continue their focus on agriculture and forestry, while adding new programs together with Olds College and the Universidad de Chapingo, of Mexico. There is a new rector, Rolando Reyes. If you send me your background I can pass it on to my husband and ask him for suggestions of how you can get involved. Send to dolores@dr1.com

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.

I agree with Bob Saunders... boredom is a state of mind.

Since you post your opinion here on Jarabacoa, can I speculate you would like to get occupied to not be bored in Jarabacoa.
For sure there is something in your background that can be put to better use in Jarabacoa so that you have a reason and interest in visiting and being there. For sure if you tell us your talents and background, among the readers of this forum we can suggest many ways so that you not be bored in Jarabacoa. Let's hear more...

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Jarabacoa is a place that you must keep yourself occupied, or die. I like Jarabacoa and spent a couple of years up there, bored out of my mind. I spent most of my time living in Jarabacoa getting out of Jarabacoa. Boredom a state of mind? Yes! But does this make Jarabacoa any less boring? No!
A state if mind in boredom comes Round when life is boring, it doesn't get there alone!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
For those interested in volunteering or contributing, there may be some jobs available, to the UAFAM university in Jarabacoa, contact the new rector, Rolando Reyes directly at <rolandoreyesyasociados@gmail.com>

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Boredom is a state of mind , not being, meaning if you're bored, it's with yourself. It true, there's not much to do in Jarabacoa, but how much can you do at one time. I find I can only take one day at the beach myself, then I HAVE TO FIND A MOUNTAIN TO CLIMB...ETC.

It is just that I find boredom is a much easier state of mind to find in Jarabacoa than I do on the coast and I will leave it at that. It ain't my kind of place.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree with Bob Saunders... boredom is a state of mind.

Since you post your opinion here on Jarabacoa, can I speculate you would like to get occupied to not be bored in Jarabacoa.
For sure there is something in your background that can be put to better use in Jarabacoa so that you have a reason and interest in visiting and being there. For sure if you tell us your talents and background, among the readers of this forum we can suggest many ways so that you not be bored in Jarabacoa. Let's hear more...

I am a retired electronic design engineer. Regarding Jarabacoa, future visits will be kept to a minimum. As I mentioned neither I nor my wife (she was born there) enjoy visiting Jarabacoa all that much, so the problem is not going to be a big one in the future.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Speaking of Jarabacoa does anyone know what happened to Giveadogahome who once lived there? He also posted under the name Anastasio I believe before that. I miss him and his views.

he had kinder words for Jarabacoa (is there a shortcut for that name ?? :) ) than PC, lol
I believe he went back to the UK

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Jarabacoa is not everyone's heaven, thankfully, or we'd be too crowded. I like the fact that when I walk through almost any part of town I see somebody I know, or some kid yells out my name. The unfortunate part of that is we end up going to a lot of funerals of people we know, or their parents ....etc funerals. I've spent numerous bored hours in church, (yes , a state of mind). I like getting up in the morning where it's almost always fresh and cool, going for a relaxing walk where I don't have to worry about being mugged. I understand if others find it boring, each to their own.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Speaking of Jarabacoa does anyone know what happened to Giveadogahome who once lived there? He also posted under the name Anastasio I believe before that. I miss him and his views.

If you think he's gone, you're not paying attention. He's had more lives than a cat.