Barcelo Cappela Sold??

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Does anyone know of Barcelo Capella being sold? I read somewhere that they had been bought by Club Hemingway and are to close in April?

I am just about to book a vacation in November there.....

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Lexi, only a part of Capella was sold to Club Hemingway which took possession of it 8 months ago. the west side of Capella is still operating and it will be for another 2 or 3 years and the is the actual news from someone that lives and works in Juan Dolio and that knows the in the know about Juan Dolio.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Thanks JuanDolioLiving. How does that affect the hotel? Did they shut down some of the rooms, pools etc?

whiskylee

May 13, 2007
Lexi, only a part of Capella was sold to Club Hemingway which took possession of it 8 months ago. the west side of Capella is still operating and it will be for another 2 or 3 years and the is the actual news from someone that lives and works in Juan Dolio and that knows the in the know about Juan Dolio.

What is the plan for the Capella ? We heard last year that it was sold when we stayed there

How is Juan Dolio ! dont here much about it on DR1, Sadly we cant make it this year as i am working in Dubai

Whiskylee

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Hopefully it receives a major overhaul. It would be nice for SD to have decent hotel this side of Punta Cana. The Capella has been crap for years

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I just called the hotel and they said it was the 4000 block that was sold. Which is weird as that was the best part of the hotel. Has anyone stayed here since then?

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Just to update anyone in case they are booking at the Capella I did finally find more information.

I had my husband (Dominican) call and they told him that everything was exactly the same and nothing had changed. I found this odd so I called back later and lo and behold they told me (in english) that yes the 4000 block of rooms (which were the best rooms) had been sold and that everything is still open including all the restaraunts and pools etc but now there were less people staying there so more room for other guests.

I can't imagine this hotel will last long like this. Such a shame too because there isn't any nice hotels on the beach in Juan Dolio really anymore. Everything is turning in to condos.

Needless to say we have all decided to rent again at Marbella and have rented 3 condos between us. Sorry Capella but you won't be getting my money this time....unless we pop over for a day pass.