View Poll Results: What airport do you use to visit the North Coast? (Read the first post prior voting)

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gregorio Luperón Intl (Puerto Plata)

22 57.89%
  • Cibao Intl (Santiago)

12 31.58%
  • Juan Bosch Intl (Nagua/Samaná)

1 2.63%
  • Las Américas Intl (Santo Domingo/Boca Chica)

3 7.89%
  • Other (explain)

0 0%

Thread: Preferred Airport for North Coast Tourists

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Preferred Airport for North Coast Tourists

For the purpose of this poll, the North Coast is defined as the coasts of the following provinces:

- Monte Cristi
    - Puerto Plata
    - Espaillat
    - María Trinidad Sánchez (including the Nagua area)

Despite Las Terrenas technically faces the north and could be considered "north coast," the entire Samaná peninsula is excluded in this poll.

The main tourist areas are Cofresí (Puerto Plata), Playa Dorada (Puerto Plata), Sosúa, Cabarete, Río San Juan, and Cabrera. I might have missed one or two, but I think I got them all.

Those of you that want to air a complaint in this thread about any particular experience through a Dominican airport, please be aware that the following airports are privately owned and administered:

- Cibao Intl (owned by an independent company that exists solely for its administration)

- La Romana Intl (owned by Florida Crystals from Florida, USA; owners of Central Romana and Casa de Campo)

- Punta Cana Intl (owned by Grupo Puntacana)

All other international airports are owned by AERODOM, a public (government) - private consortium.

Any issue dealing with migración and/or aduanas, you are dealing with government agencies even in the privately owned but open to the public airports (non-AERODOM).
    Last edited by NALs; 01-28-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    Moderator Polls Forum

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    For the purpose of this poll, the North Coast is defined as the coasts of the following provinces:

- Monte Cristi
    - Puerto Plata
    - Espaillat
    - María Trinidad Sánchez (including the Nagua area)

Despite Las Terrenas technically faces the north and could be considered "north coast," the entire Samaná peninsula is excluded in this poll.

The main tourist areas are Cofresí (Puerto Plata), Playa Dorada (Puerto Plata), Sosúa, Cabarete, Río San Juan, and Cabrera. I might have missed one or two, but I think I got them all.

Those of you that want to air a complaint in this thread about any particular experience through a Dominican airport, please be aware that the following airports are privately owned and administered:

- Cibao Intl (owned by an independent company that exists solely for its administration)

- La Romana Intl (owned by Florida Crystals from Florida, USA; owners of Central Romana and Casa de Campo)

- Punta Cana Intl (owned by Grupo Puntacana)

All other international airports are owned by AERODOM, a public (government) - private consortium.

Any issue dealing with migración and/or aduanas, you are dealing with government agencies even in the privately owned but open to the public airports (non-AERODOM).
    Why would you exclude the Samana Peninsula and El Catey airport (AZS) if the subject area includes Nagua which is only a half hour away?

3. Likes Africaida liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer to fly into POP. STI is always cheaper, enough so that it makes it worth the drive.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with drSix, POP is ideal but STI can save a few bucks, especially when travelling in groups.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reilleyp View Post
    Why would you exclude the Samana Peninsula and El Catey airport (AZS) if the subject area includes Nagua which is only a half hour away?
    No one refers to Samaná as "the north coast," within official and amateur circles Samaná is Samaná.

El Catey is included (Juan Bosch), but people should only vote for this option if they use it to visit the north coast and not if they use it to visit Samaná.
    Moderator Polls Forum

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We use POP as it has reasonable connections to Europe. PUJ is just too far !

Olly and the Team

8. Dislikes Tamborista disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drSix View Post
    I would prefer to fly into POP. STI is always cheaper, enough so that it makes it worth the drive.
    I have not found STI to be very practical from Cabarete over POP despite the price differences. I suppose that depends upon the airline and where you are going. In my case the US.

10. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The poll results to date seem to support the idea that most of the Extranos that come to Santiago STI come to the north coast.

Olly and the team

12. Dislikes Tamborista disliked this post