Preferred Airport for North Coast Tourists

What airport do you use to visit the North Coast? (Read the first post prior voting)

• Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For the purpose of this poll, the North Coast is defined as the coasts of the following provinces:

- Monte Cristi
- Puerto Plata
- Espaillat
- Mar?a Trinidad S?nchez (including the Nagua area)

Despite Las Terrenas technically faces the north and could be considered "north coast," the entire Saman? peninsula is excluded in this poll.

The main tourist areas are Cofres? (Puerto Plata), Playa Dorada (Puerto Plata), Sos?a, Cabarete, R?o San Juan, and Cabrera. I might have missed one or two, but I think I got them all.

Those of you that want to air a complaint in this thread about any particular experience through a Dominican airport, please be aware that the following airports are privately owned and administered:

- Cibao Intl (owned by an independent company that exists solely for its administration)

- La Romana Intl (owned by Florida Crystals from Florida, USA; owners of Central Romana and Casa de Campo)

- Punta Cana Intl (owned by Grupo Puntacana)

All other international airports are owned by AERODOM, a public (government) - private consortium.

Any issue dealing with migraci?n and/or aduanas, you are dealing with government agencies even in the privately owned but open to the public airports (non-AERODOM).

Last edited:

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
For the purpose of this poll, the North Coast is defined as the coasts of the following provinces:

- Monte Cristi
- Puerto Plata
- Espaillat
- Mar?a Trinidad S?nchez (including the Nagua area)

Despite Las Terrenas technically faces the north and could be considered "north coast," the entire Saman? peninsula is excluded in this poll.

The main tourist areas are Cofres? (Puerto Plata), Playa Dorada (Puerto Plata), Sos?a, Cabarete, R?o San Juan, and Cabrera. I might have missed one or two, but I think I got them all.

Those of you that want to air a complaint in this thread about any particular experience through a Dominican airport, please be aware that the following airports are privately owned and administered:

- Cibao Intl (owned by an independent company that exists solely for its administration)

- La Romana Intl (owned by Florida Crystals from Florida, USA; owners of Central Romana and Casa de Campo)

- Punta Cana Intl (owned by Grupo Puntacana)

All other international airports are owned by AERODOM, a public (government) - private consortium.

Any issue dealing with migraci?n and/or aduanas, you are dealing with government agencies even in the privately owned but open to the public airports (non-AERODOM).

Why would you exclude the Samana Peninsula and El Catey airport (AZS) if the subject area includes Nagua which is only a half hour away?

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I would prefer to fly into POP. STI is always cheaper, enough so that it makes it worth the drive.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Why would you exclude the Samana Peninsula and El Catey airport (AZS) if the subject area includes Nagua which is only a half hour away?
No one refers to Saman? as "the north coast," within official and amateur circles Saman? is Saman?.

El Catey is included (Juan Bosch), but people should only vote for this option if they use it to visit the north coast and not if they use it to visit Saman?.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
We use POP as it has reasonable connections to Europe. PUJ is just too far !

Olly and the Team

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would prefer to fly into POP. STI is always cheaper, enough so that it makes it worth the drive.

I have not found STI to be very practical from Cabarete over POP despite the price differences. I suppose that depends upon the airline and where you are going. In my case the US.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
The poll results to date seem to support the idea that most of the Extranos that come to Santiago STI come to the north coast.

Olly and the team