German Man's 'Basura' Protest

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Las Terrenas

A German resident protested against the insufficient rubbish collection. He drove his lorry onto the driveway of the local townhall and threw a few bags with trash near the entrance.
He was handcuffed and allegedly beaten by municipality police and finally apprehended by PN.

[video=youtube;ZLwQxJne2x0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLwQxJne2x0[/video]

donP

Feb 7, 2007
How can he allow to get apprehended by the "municipality police" ... those are niemands... if I do nto stop for AMET, I would stop even less for a joke called municipality police.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
That?s great! He went to the source. What the protest people usually do is empty everyone?s trash cans on the streets, in front of people?s homes. If the garbage truck isn?t coming anyway, this creates more problems for regular citizens.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
That is a continuous problem for Las Terrenas and just about anywhere else in the DR. There are garbage cans but they are filled to the brim and over flowing and the pick up schedule is always running behind. Additionally people leave bags next to the container which are opened by dogs and the cycle goes on and on and...........I feel his pain. This should be one of the easier problems to fix but nothing is easy in the DR and you get the feelling that this is not a priority for local gov.

LTSTeve

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
There's also a Part 1. Near the end of the vid you can see the guy in the stripped shirt reaching for something in the waist of the Black T-shirt guy. Then you can see the black T-shirt guy pulling a pistol from his waist.

That whole thing could have ended differently.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That is a continuous problem for Las Terrenas and just about anywhere else in the DR. There are garbage cans but they are filled to the brim and over flowing and the pick up schedule is always running behind. Additionally people leave bags next to the container which are opened by dogs and the cycle goes on and on and...........I feel his pain. This should be one of the easier problems to fix but nothing is easy in the DR and you get the feelling that this is not a priority for local gov.

LTSTeve

we all agree that the garbage situation is dire. however, people have to be smart when they decide to act. i do not think that Germans in Germany would have appreciated such behavior from an immigrant, and he should have considered the fact that Dominicans might have resented this display.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

LTSTeve

Actually our pickup is always on Schedule and time. The street-cleaners also do a decent job. The problem is two-fold; too much garbage is created and people just throw their garbage on the street. It might help if more garbage containers were put out by the city.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Actually our pickup is always on Schedule and time. The street-cleaners also do a decent job. The problem is two-fold; too much garbage is created and people just throw their garbage on the street. It might help if more garbage containers were put out by the city.

thanks for the info, bob, but not all towns in the DR can be the utopia that Jarabacoa is. this article is making reference to LT. what bearing does it have on the subject that garbage pickup is wonderful in your neck of the woods?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We got our "Garbage Bill" here in SD yesterday.
It's up to 80,000 pesos now!!!!!!
If I ever see a truck, I'll pay them direct!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
thanks for the info, bob, but not all towns in the DR can be the utopia that Jarabacoa is. this article is making reference to LT. what bearing does it have on the subject that garbage pickup is wonderful in your neck of the woods?

Why are you commenting, you don't live in LT? I WAS RESPONDING to LTsteve who commented on garbage pickup throughout the DR- UNDERSTAND or is it too complicated for you?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Why are you commenting, you don't live in LT? I WAS RESPONDING to LTsteve who commented on garbage pickup throughout the DR- UNDERSTAND or is it too complicated for you?

yeah...just like how the whole matter of GINI coefficient calculations just went miles over your head.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Got your teeth fixed yet, economic genius?
Is there an update on this guys status. Is he still in police custody.

bob, you will learn one day that personal insults from you and your little group of Jarabacoa bigots have no effect on me. i will continue to show you up for what you are; a marginally educated, weak minded simpleton, and a rampaging racist to boot. i will show up your academic limitations, and remind you how much of a racist you are.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Enough arguing and off topic posts here. Both of you need to take a break from one another. If you can't manage that on your own, I can help, but you won't like my method.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What happened to the guy ? Any updates ?

I think they should have acted in group. Foreigners or not, LT rely on tourism/expat money, so they should be heard (especially that lately LT has been aiming at the luxury market, noise/dirt are not acceptable for that segment).

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
What happened to the guy ? Any updates ?

I think they should have acted in group. Foreigners or not, LT rely on tourism/expat money, so they should be heard (especially that lately LT has been aiming at the luxury market, noise/dirt are not acceptable for that segment).

Yes, if he had just taken a little time and come in force with a bunch of Dominicans (and their garbage) he would have had a much bigger impact. And probably not gotten roughed up. Looks like he had a Dominican esposa so he could have pulled that off fairly easy.