Careterra Turistica and the Huelga in Santiago today

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Two questions:

Has anyone taken the Turistica lately? If so, anything to report condition-wise? I did a search and didn't fine any news since last May.

Is the Public Transport Union Huelga for Santiago happening today? Any reports of problems in Licey or Tamboril? I know Licey usually gets pretty dicey during huelgas...one of the reasons I'm considering taking the Turistica to Santiago later today...

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I just drove around the whole town and although there were fewer cars on the road, I didn't notice any huelgas or anything.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Took the Carretera Turistica two weeks ago. At points it could be called a safari drive, but most any vehicle can do it. Aside from the areas where the paving is no longer what it should be (I guess we may be getting spoiled with all the super roads to tourist areas), that highway is hard to be beat for scenery. You are driving along the mountains looking down. For those heading to Sosua and and Cabarete area, it still is a shorter route. But make sure you take it only when there is sunlight, and have a good vehicle.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Just went and came back from Santiago from GH, no problems via Tamboril and hardly any traffic in Santiago today, wow what a difference when you don't have to slalom through the stupid public transport idiots

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I actually hope they go on strike more often, the roads were a pleasure today. I was on them all day and didn't see one public transport moron trying to stir up trouble.

There was PN at almost every intersection sitting in the shade on their phones with shotguns and stuff but that's normal when they threated to riot.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nothing interesting happening. I keep saying that the public car drivers have p[roven that they are the major cause opf the horrible traffic in our cities...\
I wish we could get the authorities to wake up to this fact but they vote and procreate.

i LOVED GOING TO WORK TODAY..

hb

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We drove through Santiago, Navarrete, Esperanza, Mao etc today. No problems anywhere!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I think David Z was specifying the Turistica from the Gran Parada from POP to Santiago, starting at the Gran Parada just beyond Montellano, no? Two weeks ago it was still not very good at all until you get to La Cumbre headed down to Santiago. Until you get to Yasica, or at least Tubagua, and beyond it's pretty bumpy still. 20 mph. que sera.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
You're correct Ted...thanks for the update! Thanks to the others who posted as well. I wound up going today and took the Moca Road through Tamboril...it was business (TOO MUCH TRAFFIC) as usual in Santiago.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
the carretera turistica is a bad as it can get, i have a serious offroad jeep, and we took a beating.
i love the road, in 50 min im in santiago from pop, but the cost of having to buy a new jeep everytime, is not worth it.

the government should be ashamed of how they have abandoned this road, i used to be able to go on it on a a sportscar 10 years ago, took only 30 min ;)