Oil in Dominican Republic.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The Dominican Republic is so rich in natural resources, including granite, precious rocks and petroleum...With it's climate, beautiful beaches and fertile land it is indeed a PARADISE. Too bad all the political parties that win are all corrupt and don't help develop the country the way it should. I PRAY that The LORD changes the hearts of the governing parties and that my land turns into a prosperous but God Fearing Nation!!

Petroleo en Rep?blica Dominicana - YouTube

JJ

Jul 4, 2010
The Youtube video clip refers to an oil well walking distance from my home in El Aguelico de Las Lomas de Azua, which allegedly was put into production in 1939 by President Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina. However, I have copy of document where president Ulises Heureaux (Lilis) grants my great grandfather, Eduardo Romero Luyando, in 1898, exclusive rights to exploit an oil well, El Higuerito, for which he payed a tax of six cents per cubic meter of oil produced. That particular well is also walking distance from my home in El Aguelico, and Ive extracted several gallons of oil for home use (once you let the water settle its like kerosene). I have pictures, even a video clip. I understand the Dominican state, through the Central Bank, has placed all its petroleum reserves as collateral for foreign bank loans.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The Dominican Republic is so rich in natural resources, including granite, precious rocks and petroleum...With it's climate, beautiful beaches and fertile land it is indeed a PARADISE. Too bad all the political parties that win are all corrupt and don't help develop the country the way it should. I PRAY that The LORD changes the hearts of the governing parties and that my land turns into a prosperous but God Fearing Nation!!

Petroleo en Rep?blica Dominicana - YouTube

JJ

Amen!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
This is an interesting piece - not sure of the source

Monday, 14 March 2005 Oil exploration in the DR
For over 100 years people have been searching for oil in the Dominican Republic but with no great results. The legal and institutional structures that revolve around the explorations seem to be as viscous as the oil that is the black gold everybody wants. According to El Caribe, 18 companies have searched for oil in the Dominican Republic. For some 30 years, since drilling began in 1904, thousands of barrels have been extracted and exported, but nobody knows where to or the quality of the oil. Records do show that many thousands of barrels were taken out of the country.
In 1979, a Venezuelan mission said that petroleum prospects in the country were "promising" because the country has the basic geological formations according to geophysicist Myrfin Jones Evans and geologist Jose Luis Padron.
At the present time there are three companies drilling for oil in three different regions of the country, and all three have renewed their concession licenses in order to continue their work. The Petrolera Once-Once is concentrating in the Cibao Valley in the area around San Francisco de Macoris, Villa Rivas and Sanchez. Maleno Oil Company is looking in the Enriquillo watershed area in the province of Independencia. Murfin Dominicanca is drilling near Azua and Punta Salinas. The head of the Mining Office, Octavio Lopez, certainly does not want to create "illusions" or create false hope as happened after the exploration at Charco Largo in 1981. Rene Soler, a mining engineer with experience in Venezuela, told reporters that "the country has petroleum, but not for export." According to the engineer, there is sufficient oil for the Dominican Republic to be nearly self-sufficient. Although reports vary, the daily consumption of petroleum products is somewhere between 140,000 and 150,000 barrels per day. The Dominican Refinery has a capacity to refine as much as 52,000 barrels a day. While current exploration is going on, the Dominican Refinery has announced proposals from Petrobras to drill exploratory well in the sea off the Dominican coast and the Mining Office is looking at agreements with Ecuador, Venezuela and Spain. There are even negotiations to buy natural gas from Qatar.

Olly and the Team

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
And another piece -

Oil in Haiti- By Dr. Georges Michel

------------Since time immemorial, it is no secret that in the basement of the two states that share the island of Haiti and the surrounding waters, there are significant deposits of oil still untapped, it No one knows why. Already in the early twentieth century, the physical and political map of the island of Haiti, erected in 1908 by Mr. Alexander and Henry Poujol Thomasset, reported a major oil field in Haiti near source of Rio Todo El Mondo, Tributary Right Artibonite River, known today as the River Thomonde. (the word he would Thomonde de Todo El Mondo?) the deposit of oil in question straddles the boundary between the boroughs of Hinche and Mirebalais in a mountainous area located at the foot of the chain of the Black Mountains, direction due west of Thomond.The same map indicates an oil field in the plain of Azua Dominican, a short distance north of the Dominican Republic in the town of Azua. According to our information, the latter bearing the Dominican Republic had been operating effectively in the first half of this century it had produced up to 60,000 barrels of oil per day and had been closed because it was considered to then "sufficiently profitable. Always remain in the Dominican Republic, was announced in 1982 it was discovered in front of the plain of Azua, a huge oil field offshore the coast of Barahona, but that this deposit had been left untapped.Those who have traveled Port-au-Prince/Santo-Domingo can testify that the plain of Azua and its coastline resembles nothing so much as the area of Vieux Bourg d'Aquin and coastal related. Chances are that there is reasonable therefore hydrocarbon deposits in the region Haitian counterpart, especially as we are told that in the plain of Cayes there were geological evidence of presence of oil, as well as Bay of Cayes, Cayes and between Ile a Vache.We bathed in 1975 in Les Cayes to l'Eau, as we had our feet covered by a sort of black oil seeping from the seabed. A fisherman from the place we had explained that it was not uncommon in this area.He reports a similar phenomenon in other regions. Seems he Leogane Plain and the foothills of Morne-?-Cabrit. They also reported the presence of oil shale in the province of Grand Anse.Still, there are many places in our island (DOMINICAN Republic and Haiti) that are all the criteria g?oligiques presence of hydrocarbons. In Haiti, include the plain of Cayes, Leogane Plain, the plain of Cul-de-Sac, the Gonaives plain and the Savannah sorry, the Plaine du Nord. Ile de la Gonave and literals corresponding to the off-shore deposits. In this list, do not forget the large sedimentary basin of the Central Plateau of Haiti.

------ and so the article goes on!

There's oil in them there hills!!!

Olly and the Team