I need to buy good quality used gym equipment

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I'm setting up a gym in Santo Domingo. New gym equipment is very expensive, so I'm looking to buy good quality but used / secondhand equipment. I want various gym machines with weights, as well as treadmills, bikes, step machines. Really hoping to find out where the machines go when the hotels refurb and redo their gyms. Or maybe someone on here who has a gym and is closing it down.

I have thought about importing from the US, there is a lot of inventory on eBay, but I'm thinking about weight, so shipping and import duty is going to probably double the cost.

I run a "proper" company, we do everything legitimately (don't laugh) so I will need to see papers that prove that whoever is selling it actually owns the equipment and I will need a legal sale contract to be signed.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have a friend who has a gym. If you plan on bringing it from the states bring it via a container so weight is of little issue. A lot of th free weight equipment is made here as well such as benches, etc.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, I suggest that you go to every gym that you can find. I would say that you are buying in order to set up a gym in another town so that they do not see competition. Using "spotters" who I reward I have found good quality equipment in like new condition at "compra/ventas".

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Good Afternoon, I suggest that you go to every gym that you can find. I would say that you are buying in order to set up a gym in another town so that they do not see competition. Using "spotters" who I reward I have found good quality equipment in like new condition at "compra/ventas".

This is how I would do it. I've bought gymnastics equipment from local competitors using a third party.

Nov 8, 2014
Let me know if you are still looking for equipment. I can definitely help you out. I supply most of the vendors in DR and I have access to equipment there as well.

Jenny123

Sep 8, 2016
Hey, i am selling my gym setup if you want to acquire any thing then do let me know i will inbox pictures. I know it is very late to reply but if you want any thing then do reply :)

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
not to bring this back from the dead but.. I have a lot of gym equipment in North America wondering if you ever imported anything or not? the gym equipment here is not good. Unless it comes from a big club that has imported it; otherwise it's re-circulated trash.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
not to bring this back from the dead but.. I have a lot of gym equipment in North America wondering if you ever imported anything or not? the gym equipment here is not good. Unless it comes from a big club that has imported it; otherwise it's re-circulated trash.
Gym equipment ... most are called weights...........and that is what makes them hard from Up north...........

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Start spending some time on the FB marketplace. There re tons of local and imported machines

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Start spending some time on the FB marketplace. There re tons of local and imported machines
I literally have 25% of an industrial gym sitting in a storage unit in Canada. I have looked at FB marketplace and most of it is junk that is from barrio gyms.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I literally have 25% of an industrial gym sitting in a storage unit in Canada. I have looked at FB marketplace and most of it is junk that is from barrio gyms.
Gotta kiss a lot of frogs to find your Prince.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I'm setting up a gym in Santo Domingo. New gym equipment is very expensive, so I'm looking to buy good quality but used / secondhand equipment. I want various gym machines with weights, as well as treadmills, bikes, step machines. Really hoping to find out where the machines go when the hotels refurb and redo their gyms. Or maybe someone on here who has a gym and is closing it down.

I have thought about importing from the US, there is a lot of inventory on eBay, but I'm thinking about weight, so shipping and import duty is going to probably double the cost.

I run a "proper" company, we do everything legitimately (don't laugh) so I will need to see papers that prove that whoever is selling it actually owns the equipment and I will need a legal sale contract to be signed.
I would contact a company like Cybex, Life Fitness, Nautilus, or Precor as examples. They likely have programs where you can buy on time and or lease to own.
Good equipment attracts better long time clients than cobbling together a bunch of used barrio gym garbage.
They might be able to even help set up a gym layout and help import the heavy equipment in a container

Reactions: arete92