Tourist Trains For Puerto Plata

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

The company 'Adventure Transportation Tat' plans to start with three tourist train services in Puerto Plata. They will provide a connection between Playa Dorada and the tourist attractions in the port city, including the interesting historic center, the Gregorio Luper?n museum, the amber museum, the cable car and the fort of San Felipe. The plan for this train is also made with the expected (and hoped) flow of tourists in mind, that will come to Puerto Plata when the cruise port in Maim?n is put into use.

PS: Picture of train here: Sos?a-News

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think this is a good idea, providing they also complete the sprucing up of the city described in a previous piece in Sosua News. City tours are one of the excursions offered in all cruise ports and because it is one of the less expensive excursions, and because people are interested in seeing different cities there are usually a good number who sign up for the excursion. Plus, I assume those who chose to explore the city on their own will also be able to ride the train.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
first, this ain't a train:

2cidzef.jpg

second, while a wobbly, open side transport works in the colonial zone how are they going to ride it to and through POP? it is slow, long and not safe. the stretch of road in front of playa dorada is famous for the accidents. not to mention the fact that if one of those carts is hit or even caught on the frame/bumper of a passing vehicle we will have white meat carnage. and i cannot imagine this thing taking people from maimoin to POP on the main road. this is idiotic!

third, sindico de transporte, enough said.

now, if someone offered boat rides from playa dorada and/or maimon to POP, along the malecon, with unloading at the fortaleza, maybe a presentation of traditional dances or whatnot in the amphitheater. well. much better!

Jan 17, 2009
I can't see it either. Taking them up to the cable car? Doubt it. This "initiative" will die once the Puerto Plata cabbies learn about it anyway.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
While the idea is good, the taxi union will never allow this to happen. A few years ago, a government official tried this before with buses, and they were either burned down or had molotov cocktails thrown into the windshield before it could get started. DV8, is that the actual "train" they want to use?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DV8, is that the actual "train" they want to use?

this is a picture accompanying the article. i assume they must mean something similar to this since regular trains would require enormous costs of laying down the tracks, putting the poles and cables to power them or so on.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the first motoconcho that plows into it , breaking the limbs of a few passengers, will put an end to it. that is if it is not already in cinders before the first run.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Ttttttttt so negative. They know what they are doing......
As we speak ( write ), the new fleet of trains, pride of the region,are being fitted out with bullet proof windows, oversized allaround steelbumpers, anti manhandling electric devices, emergency smoke cover mufflers and integrated 50. Cal machine guns......

The safest way to visit POP, let ure dream come true, visit POP!!!!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
While the idea is good, the taxi union will never allow this to happen. A few years ago, a government official tried this before with buses, and they were either burned down or had molotov cocktails thrown into the windshield before it could get started. DV8, is that the actual "train" they want to use?

So are bus drivers not in the same union?

They should stick to busses and make the taxi union get on board with the idea. But make sure it's settled prior to the first cruise ship. That way all the blood and burnt-out busses can be cleaned off the roads.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So are bus drivers not in the same union?

i think the buses were meant to be a part of the government entity, not private. while sindicos de transporte are privately owned. the transport reform has poor chances in DR because sindicalistas are very powerful and well connected. long time ago i suggested chopping their heads off and sticking them on the fence of the palacio nacional. nothing else will work. transport issues f**ked up POP cruise arrangements before. and it will happen again.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I read train, I had to chuckle. When I see the picture of the "train", I had to laugh and think " Yeah, right".

Who can envision the problems these will cause on the roadways? I can.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I used to drive a train that looked like that in Palm Beach County Florida, but the train cars were filled with trash instead of tourists.

And how did that work in another location where people don't know how to drive?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I used to drive a train that looked like that in Palm Beach County Florida, but the train cars were filled with trash instead of tourists.

did you leave the trail of used diapers and potato peels behind you? it will the same here, only the trail will be marked by severed limbs of the passengers. i've had many visitors in DR, they were all dead scared of the traffic situation. this is not a buggy ride where ATVs pass the main road or ride it for a 100 meters. this is a ride from maimon or playa dorada to a city center. disaster does not even begin to describe it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The big truck stood at the end of the residential street and I'd drive the wheeled garbage cans to it. two helpers would hook each one up and unhook it again when it had been emptied by the robot on the truck

Garbagemen make good money, did you get a pension?

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
I can not see this type of vehicle loaded with so many tourists operating in normal lanes of traffic between Playa Dorada and POP without something happening, unless they are planning on shutting down 1 lane of traffic in both directions. That would really screw things up in that area. Once those people on board that tram see the traffic speeding by them, I doubt they will want to board for the return trip! :)

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
If they are seriously talking about that kind of "train", Carnival Cruise will probably put a stop to it.
They don't want to be transporting body bags.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
How long would it take to get from Playa Dorado and the middle of Puerto Plata on one of those "trains"....how are they on pot holes? Do they have coolers on the back? Really though, these things are meant to loop a few tourists around a few protected blocks in the center of town...they are not meant for transportation en mass. WoW, for tourist experts...the people in charge of this don't really get tourism do they?