american drowns in cabarete

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Then he did not drown, he was still alive when they got him out of the water. Why did he die at the clinic?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
You drown in water, if you are still alive you did not drown! You died of suffocation, brain closure, lack of oxygen!
A drunk yank, and..........

1 para

Jan 31, 2014
It is known as secondary drowning and can happen hours after a casualty is pulled from the water due to the intake of water the casualty has taken in to his her lungs.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
You drown in water, if you are still alive you did not drown! You died of suffocation, brain closure, lack of oxygen!
A drunk yank, and..........

May he rest in peace.

(And HUG, IMHO, your lack of compassion disappoints me).

bicep

Jul 26, 2009
true in French ; PNEUMONIE PAR ASPIRATON can kill you within 24 hours...sorry my English is not great but im trying,
whatever that person died from its very sad ,I greive for the family

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It is known as secondary drowning and can happen hours after a casualty is pulled from the water due to the intake of water the casualty has taken in to his her lungs.

Secondary drowning ? Inhaled fluid can act as an irritant inside the lungs. Physiological responses to even small quantities include the extrusion of liquid into the lungs (pulmonary edema) over the following hours, but this reduces the ability to exchange air and can lead to a person "drowning in their own body fluid." Certain poisonous vapors or gases (as for example in chemical warfare), or vomit can have a similar effect. The reaction can take place up to 72 hours after a near drowning incident, and may lead to a serious condition or death.

interesting. we learn something every day.

the man was drowning and died following efforts to save him. sounds like the cause of death will still be related to drowning.

in any case, desperately sad thing. deaths in cabarete happen regularly, i don't understand why there are no lifeguards, buoys and other safety measures to reduce the risks. this is a good beach for water sports but not for casual swimming. and yes, i know i am in DR, what do i expect.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In the real world the beach business would all chip in and post signs warning of the danger. Some of these tourists die before they have spent all their vacation money so it makes sound businesses sense to keep them alive a bit longer. No point in asking the government as they do not see that it's their business to help anyone but themselves.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Cabarete isn't a good beach to swim on unless your a strong swimmer with an understanding of rip currents.
RIP and my best wishes to his family.

drescape24

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
The report indicates that this happened at Ocean Manor Resort. This is about 1km east of Cabarete Bay.

While Cabarete Bay does require caution for non-swimmers, the waters east of the bay (where this is reported to have occurred) are much more dangerous.

The safer portion of Cabarete bay is at the east end in front of Sans Souci Hotel. Waters there are generally calm and good for wading. But, just outside the bay, at the point in front of Velero hotel, there are some dangerous cross-currents.

As with every ocean activity regardless of location, one needs to take into account ocean conditions and personal skill before going into the water. Conditions change constantly.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I was just there last week, trying my body boarding (hopeless) skills, it is dangerous if you are not a confident swimmer. There are shallow waters next to very deep holes and lots of cross waves and currents that can get someone by surprise.

In fact we passed by two wooden crosses on the beach and when asked a local he said two people recently drowned here and these crosses put there in their memory....

There are in two or three "No Swimming" sings posted on that beach.

drconnect

Jan 31, 2014
My husband pulled him out of the water. There was another man with him who survived. The hotel had a ring with no rope so it took many more minutes to get him in - and no one would take the surf board out because the wind and rain were howling. They were boogie boarding. There should be signs posted on that part of the beach. Crazy to swim there, especially in high winds.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
May he "RIP"!
That said, and, speaking from my personal experience, and I am/WAS a strong swimmer, and a "Fat Guy", (FAT FLOATS!!) if there is alcohol involved, all bets are off!
Many drowning are due to being intoxicated!
I fell in dead drunk one day.
Couldn't swim to "Save My Life", no pun intended, I sank to the bottom, and walked to shore.
My head broke the surface just as I was about to give up!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
There are "no swimming" signs in front of the Velero Hotel and a little further along to the east, but it's amazing how many times I see people swimming there in spite of the signs.