Post Office in POP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
took a run over to the post office in POP last afternoon, to see if a letter sent by my son had arrived. i gave the lady my full name, and she opened a cupboard sort of thingy, and looked inside. then she opened a second. and a third. then she went around the back, and i cannot speculate about what she did there, because she was then out of sight. she then came back and announced that the letter was not there. kinda strange, since it was sent in the middle of December.

the question i have is this; have Dominican authorities not yet heard of the revolutionary and futuristic idea of sorting the units of mail alphabetically, and putting them in a compartment that has a corresponding letter? i mean, ever since i was a child in the caribbean, there was a section on the wall with compartments that were lettered. if you told the postmistress that your name was Joe Blow, she would go to the compartment labelled B, and look for it there. she would not go looking at every piece of mail to find it. once a week, every compartment was checked to make sure that some dimwit had not placed Joe's mail in the box labelled "R".

what is taking these guys so long to get into the 19th century when it comes to mail delivery?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I guess the first cupboard was for letter "T" and the second was for letter "G", they keep confusing first and last names, you know. The one in the back was for letters that have not arrived yet. She followed normal protocol.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I guess the first cupboard was for letter "T" and the second was for letter "G", they keep confusing first and last names, you know. The one in the back was for letters that have not arrived yet. She followed normal protocol.

thanks for making me spit merengue soda all over my keyboard.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there was a section on the wall with compartments that were lettered. if you told the postmistress that your name was Joe Blow, she would go to the compartment labelled B, and look for it there.

this is assuming that those working at the post office know the alphabet. they don't.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

Now that's funny...........

B in Santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they have post office in POP and it it located in rather stunning building. their courier outgoing service works well but incoming post is probably used as a fuel for a fogon in the garden where they make locrio de bacalao for lunch...

Alexandradebrian

Jun 8, 2013
I didn't even know they had a postal service!!!!!!

Some Years ago, about 10 or 11, I was living in a remote village near Moca and we bought a product from a guy in Santiago who was from Quebec in Canada. He offered a 5 year warranty and was very proud to display his Better Business Bureau credentials. The machine went wrong and he refused to fix it under warranty. I sent an email to the BBB in Quebec complaining about his performance. Would you believe, about 6 or 7 months later a guy on a Donkey stopped outside our house and actually delivered a reply from the BBB in Quebec. How's that for a postal service.