Things I've Learned

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
Today is my one year anniversary of retirement and living in DR! Yay ME! :)
Though I've learned many new things since living here,i want to share my top 5.
1) Getting use to Spanish is a perra!
2) Money answers a lot of problems.
3) Budget!Budget!Budget!
4) Get use to doing nothing.
5) Always be nice and patient.(Most Dominicans respond positively to this one thing)

I like living here and I am adjusting well. Gracias dios.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Congrats! I'm getting closer, and I can't wait. And I can't wait to spending time doing absolutely nothing! A guy could sure get used to that.

I couldn't help but notice that I can't recall you posting anything that trashed the DR or Dominicans. Interesting. So I assume you actually like it here? :squareeye

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've learn too things here:
1. money solves all problems
2. problems that cannot be solved with money can be solved with MORE MONEY.

one you establish this life rolls much easier.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
1. Since foreigners assume money always solves all problems, make sure to charge them for any favors they ask you to do for them.. JK lol.. But a lot of dominicans do think this way lol

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Great to hear that year one is under your belt and all is reasonably well.
I enjoyed your blog previously but can no longer access it.
Have you stopped blogging or just moved the blog?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Retirees Mantra.
"I Have Nothing To Do, And All Day To Do It"!!!!!!
To all you "DR1ers" who still pay federal taxes in the USA,......."I Hope You NEVER Die"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now that I no longer "Work For a Living",.. but "Vote For A Living",........"C'mon Hillary"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
congrats on the year....NICE goes a long way here! Been here since Oct 2012 and my husband and I are loving it, the DR is what you make it...

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
I'll be building a house in teh Dr over the next couple of years to prepare for my retirement in about 15 years or so. I was just waiting for my 401k to be well into the 6 figures before I started building. :D

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
Great to hear that year one is under your belt and all is reasonably well.
I enjoyed your blog previously but can no longer access it.
Have you stopped blogging or just moved the blog?

I stopped blogging because the countdown was over and I moved to DR and let the blog site expire. Glad you enjoyed it. I enjoyed doing it. But now I like not doing anything and not having to be anywhere. All is well.

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
Congrats! I'm getting closer, and I can't wait. And I can't wait to spending time doing absolutely nothing! A guy could sure get used to that.

I couldn't help but notice that I can't recall you posting anything that trashed the DR or Dominicans. Interesting. So I assume you actually like it here? :squareeye

Yes I do like it here.

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
Today is my one year anniversary of retirement and living in DR! Yay ME! :)
Though I've learned many new things since living here,i want to share my top 5.
1) Getting use to Spanish is a perra!
2) Money answers a lot of problems.
3) Budget!Budget!Budget!
4) Get use to doing nothing.
5) Always be nice and patient.(Most Dominicans respond positively to this one thing)

I like living here and I am adjusting well. Gracias dios.

For #4, this wouldn't apply to many people but I suppose even the elderly get bored of not doing anything...

Do you see yourself getting into something to keep busy? A business/job/something?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC. At least Brown may run in NH. Your MA neighbors will probably elect one of the most left scum known to _________________.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. Since foreigners assume money always solves all problems, make sure to charge them for any favors they ask you to do for them.. JK lol.. But a lot of dominicans do think this way lol

i know you meant this as a look-at-them-stupid-gringos post but as a dominican you should know that there is no such thing as a favour. the bigger the favour the higher the cost... this is why it is best to refrain from asking. it is good to know people who can help you in case of trouble, lawyers, police, military. but only ask if anything else fails. because the pay back you will be asked of can be costly...