Foriegner Ratings

Feb 15, 2005
I was just wondering. Of all the foreigners in the country, what group (country of origin) would you say has the best reputation (image) among local Dominicans for:

Businesses
Amorous Relationships (family and treatment of local women/men)
Respect of local Dominicans

You can't address your own country, just to keep it unbiased.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Our maid's sister has raised her daughters to find and marry a Canadian or an Italian only. [I'm American, I guess we're not as good]

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Dominicans would truly want to do all of the above with only each other we are all gringo trash to them white is ugly and only some shades of
Black is nice to them .
Businesses you well ger riped off at every turn.
Treatment ???? Do on to others as thy do on to you ( may be OJ would fit in good )
Respect only $$$$.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I think that according to my father in law the Dutch are not up to his standard when talking about being part of the family. Apparently I am too strong willed, rude (I'd call it direct), disrespectful and inconsiderate.

I don't think I am all of those things, but I admit I cannot handle a son-father relationship in the Dominican patriarchal way.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well in my inlaw family there is aqui and fuera (?). Understand dominicans and the Others ( which does not included haitians by the way....).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have a feeling this is a simple question laid out in the most complicated way possible. are you asking here what nations dominicans like?

business? whoever has the most money
love/family? whoever breeds fast and has light skin/eyes/hair
respect wise? rich and/or religious

i would not say nationality as such matters, because many dominicans have very vague idea about geography in general so they do not easily make associations with standard stereotypes we use: germans are organized, french are passionate, english are bland. but they make quick comparisons between known examples of certain nationalities. so when i say i am polish some dominicans say they worked with a polish person before and even remember few polish words they learnt.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
...because many dominicans have very vague idea about geography in general...

Haha...that reminds me of a girl in 'compras' at a client of mine. She asked me, where is that paper produced? I tell her: in Europe. She says: ah ok, where in Europe, Canada?

That same girl was on a trip to New York about a week before that...

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I've lived in many different countries as an expat but I have to confess, this place has the biggest number of weirdos, dropouts,drunks, mongers, dreamers, liars, sociopaths and generally useless people of any place I've been.

(That could be because I'm in Sosua or the proximity of the next nearest major land mass....)

And I'm now included amongst them by default I guess....

I've lived in many different countries as an expat but I have to confess, this place has the biggest number of weirdos, dropouts,drunks, mongers, dreamers, liars, sociopaths and generally useless people of any place I've been.

(That could be because I'm in Sosua or the proximity of the next nearest major land mass....)

sigh...and I have never felt so at home.....

Safe and Sound in your TwilightZone........

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Birds of a feather flock together....
I don't think Dominicans have any favorites, but they appreciate people that try to speak their language, and ask about their culture and use manners.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Birds of a feather flock together....
I don't think Dominicans have any favorites, but they appreciate people that try to speak their language, and ask about their culture and use manners.

depends on the social class. the favorites of the poor are the guys with a big wallet.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013

Couldn't agree more. And I can't wait to be living there full time!!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Couldn't agree more. And I can't wait to be living there full time!!

Bienvenido..!
But please leave all your pre-concieved ideas, accepted wisdom,bigotry,racism, sexism,superiority,evangelism,self-rightcheousness, gun-toting,,do-goodiness,xenophobia, monoglotism,imperialism,fast-food cravings,rudeness,get-it-donenowism plus several more which I can't think of, behind you.

Embrace the manana spirit but maintain your gringo respect for others, standards of hygiene and driving , sobriety, honesty and a spirit of curiosity and you'll do fine.

This is not a personal invocation as I don't know you, but I have met many others who just don't get it.....