Need Garden Soil

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
I have a small space for a vegetable garden and need about 2 meters of good garden soil. Not compost from the cane fields, but something with lots of organic stuff. Close to Sosua. What will it cost if I find some?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Or dried up cow pat and earth you have digged up from a hole in the ground......
I find earth to be very rich here. I hardly ever use anything to fertilise, when I do see above.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I just bought 30 bags at 50 pesos each. Black and crumbly :) .
But 30 - 40 is more the price. Bags were empty chicken/cock food.
I am on Santiago. They filled a medoum sized pu truck.
Local viva natura.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Thanks Abuela! Good to be back. I always appreciate the help I get from DR1. I may have a lead on some horse manure...can I use it fresh or do I have to wait for it to dry and age, and how long does that take? Sounds like I can mix that with some regular soil if the soil is already good. What I see is usually clay-like and very firm so I will have to mix some more organic stuff plus the manure I think. If I don't find what I need by the end of next week, I will get more information from tommeyers about the bags on the way to Santiago. Didn't want to go that far if I didn't have to.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Paid gold prices

I have a small space for a vegetable garden and need about 2 meters of good garden soil. Not compost from the cane fields, but something with lots of organic stuff. Close to Sosua. What will it cost if I find some?
Got here only to find we mostly lived on rock. Then build raised beds . Needed lots of soil. Paid 250US per truck load of incredible soil delivered to my place. Most people think we are crazy to pay for dirt. Most people also admire our lush gardens. Plants are often free, or very reasonably priced. Dirt is like gold! Dirt came from Florcafe vivero in Cabrera. So far I bought 3truckloads but now am finally getting my own supply from composting.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The dried cow manure is easy to come by... I sent out a few boys one morning with bags... came back filled.
Just mix it with good dirt - that red dirt doesn't hold moisture well, avoid it.

Most viveros sell tierra buena ..... that $250 price you heard is well above normal , think half that or less.
I pay 2800 pesos for a truckload..... about 3M of excellent dirt.

Talk to farm people.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Campesina, I join Abuela to welcome you back and so glad you've turned the corner.
Up El Choco road a couple of miles from you, find the agro-feed store on the left, they have everything
a home gardener might need. They also have some great chilis for sale and things like good rat poison.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Well close to Sosua, you'll need feed back from somebody near there.

But you contradict what your asking for, good garden soil, not compost, COMPOST is all organic and makes absolutly the best garden soil. I have been composting here for 10 years now and produce the richest garden soil you can imagine, that you would wish your were a plant to grow in it!!!!

the cow manure compost they sell here is usually not very well composted therefore full of weed seeds that are not killed off by the composting heat and WILL over take your garden and be a nusence for
years to come.

g'luck

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
I am already composting, but it's only a week old and I can only produce enough for a flowerpot or 2. Great ideas from a few people close to Sosua. Tflea, I remember that place on el Choco. Do they have a truck that they can deliver? Could I send my worker there to buy it and have it delivered? I really appreciate all the suggestions. Thank you everyone.

My next venture will be finding a sewing machine. A treddle machine in a table would be ideal! No electric needed.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Haha Derfish,--a semi would have been welcome! No,-- it was one of those big daihaitsuis,- Looked to me to be about 5 yards in NA terms. It was loamy black soil base with manure and organic compost,- really great stuff . I terribly overpaid but am limited in our area.