Claro texting problems

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
Hi guys! I just arrived today, headed to Sos?a. I got a Claro SIM for my iPhone 5c, and everything works. Except. I can call and text and receive same to/from DR numbers just fine. I can call and receive calls to the US. I can receive texts from the US as well. But I just can't send texts. The Claro kiosk at SDQ was unhelpful. After a couple minutes of poking they shrugged and handed it back.

I am using 1 before the area code, but I also tried +1 and then the number. No go. This evening I took it to the corporate store on St Vincent in SD. I got way in over my head with my Spanish, although I *think* I learned I'd never be able to text ATT customers. I don't care about that network, but I do need to text Verizon subscribers. (My family is on vzw). When I came last year with a little crappy flip phone, I had no issue at all texting US people.

Have you damas y caballeros got any ideas or input? Barring ideas, I'm going to go to Orange tomorrow and see if they have a similar issue. But I've already got some money into this, so if I can roll with it, I'd like to- unless you think I *should* go with Orange. I'm open to suggestion!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Maybe consider getting the Viber or What's App for your phone and ask your family/friends to do the same, assuming they have smartphones. Apps are free, texts are free, so are calls.

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
But that requires data, no? Also my prepago situation somehow allows me to use data even though I said specifically I didn't want it at this time- does anyone know at what rate it eats into your account?

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
I found the soluci?n to the problem. I'd been using 1 or +1, and found very few that it worked for. But 001 seems to work across the board.