Need an education on unlocking a phone

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
My DR phone is bad and rather then get another one, I would like to use my USA phone. Not sure I really understand this unlocking thing. Correct me if I'm wrong. I can take my USA phone some where and they will unlock it by removing the USA chip and installing a chip that works in the DR. When I go to USA I can replace the DR chip with the USA one. Correct? Oh and do I ask for a Claro chip or does it matter? ONly want a pay as you go arrangment with the phone, no contract. If this will work then any idea where in POP I can have the work done? thanks

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My DR phone is bad and rather then get another one, I would like to use my USA phone. Not sure I really understand this unlocking thing. Correct me if I'm wrong. I can take my USA phone some where and they will unlock it by removing the USA chip and installing a chip that works in the DR. When I go to USA I can replace the DR chip with the USA one. Correct? Oh and do I ask for a Claro chip or does it matter? ONly want a pay as you go arrangment with the phone, no contract. If this will work then any idea where in POP I can have the work done? thanks

first they have to unlock it, then install the chip. simply exchanging chips does not unlock the phone.

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
First lets see if your phone is unlockable- what is the make and model? I?ll look it up and tell you if it will go.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
first they have to unlock it, then install the chip. simply exchanging chips does not unlock the phone.

The gorgon is correct.

If your US phone is unlocked, then just go to an Orange or Claro shop in the DR, register the phone to get a DR number, and a DR chip.

If you have a locked phone, you won't be able to use it here; you first need to unlock it.

Are you sure the phone is locked?

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
depending on your carrier you may be able to get the unlock code from them. If not there are places in DR that will do it for you.
in linares here in Cabarete there is a place that would unlock my nexus 4 for $1400RD.
once the phone is software unlocked you can go to Claro or Orange and buy a SIM card for use down here then when you go back to the states you just replace it with your US SIM card.
i went to orange and they told me it would be $100RD for the sim card and then you just buy minutes like a regular prepay in the states anywhere you want.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
unlocking is different than changing sim card and requires certain skill. for some phones you can buy (or find free) unlocking code online. other phones are not that easy. iphone5 costs a lot to unlock, it may pay off better to buy a cheap android instead...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
unlocking is different than changing sim card and requires certain skill. for some phones you can buy (or find free) unlocking code online. other phones are not that easy. iphone5 costs a lot to unlock, it may pay off better to buy a cheap android instead...

yes; a cheap, unlocked android can be had for 75 bucks...5 inch screen, to boot.

Jan 17, 2009
An unlocked phone will work in the US BUT if it is an iPhone, forget about ever updating your IOS again or using iTunes to transfer music or back-up. To unlock an iPhone, they jail break it here. I don't know if it can be done without jail breaking.

Feb 7, 2007
There are SIMS, mini SIMs, and MicroSIMs (used by new Iphones and Galaxies).

Unlocking the phone will cost you anywhere from Free (if you find some of the Viva dealers) but you must activate Viva service, to about 1000 pesos for certain (Orange Dominicana) versions of Galaxy S4. Otehrwise Galaxy S4 unlock (US versions) run at about 500 pesos.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've been told the local chips are quite different from the USA ones and not interchangeable.
Der Fish

When I go to the US, I take my phone and get an AT&T pay as you go chip. When I return, I remove the AT&T chip and put my Orange chip back in the phone.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I've been told the local chips are quite different from the USA ones and not interchangeable.
Der Fish

not necessarily. as someone said, there are different kinds of sim cards. an operator in DR will fit unlocked phone with any card, as required by the particular model, they can be cut smaller if needed.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Der Fish

Not true. If you take any unlocked GSM Quad Band phone to the DR all you have to do is change the Sim Card. I do this all the time. Claro is the one I use, not sure of the others.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I don't know Quad Band from a fat woman. How about an old fashioned "Flip phone?" Something from the dark ages is it?

one has nothing to do with another. quad band is a phone that works with many frequencies and can be used all over the world as different countries work with different frequencies.
a flip phone is just a type of a phone, they are still made today even thou smart phones have taken over the market.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
one has nothing to do with another. quad band is a phone that works with many frequencies and can be used all over the world as different countries work with different frequencies.
a flip phone is just a type of a phone, they are still made today even thou smart phones have taken over the market.

Derfish, just like a car maker can put the same engine in sedans, convertibles, etc, phone makers can put quad band in a variety of phones, including flip phones.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
DV8 is correct, the sim card will be cut if needed to fit. My son has had 3 phones from the US unlocked here, the latest was the iphone 5. Took a bit to find someone who could do it, but it can be done. Cost was about $1500 pesos. Now on the opposite side, my niece took her iphone 5 from the US to be unlocked and the phone has never worked correctly since. For the OP unlocking a phone here is not a problem.

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
The OP hasn't mentioned what type of phone he/she has, with that information people would be able to suggest the correct way to go about unlocking the phone. You don't change the chip, it's a SIM card that gets changed when travelling to another country or using a different provider.

iPhones can be factory unlocked, thus being able to receive updates and using iTunes etc.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The OP hasn't mentioned what type of phone he/she has, with that information people would be able to suggest the correct way to go about unlocking the phone. You don't change the chip, it's a SIM card that gets changed when travelling to another country or using a different provider.

iPhones can be factory unlocked, thus being able to receive updates and using iTunes etc.

I think he meant sim card when he said chip. At least that is how I interpreted it.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
depending on your carrier you may be able to get the unlock code from them. If not there are places in DR that will do it for you.
in linares here in Cabarete there is a place that would unlock my nexus 4 for $1400RD.
once the phone is software unlocked you can go to Claro or Orange and buy a SIM card for use down here then when you go back to the states you just replace it with your US SIM card.
i went to orange and they told me it would be $100RD for the sim card and then you just buy minutes like a regular prepay in the states anywhere you want.

You did or could have been ripped off. All NEXUS phones are manufactured unlocked- whether you bought straight from Goggle, or from your carrier. You should have ONLY payed for the SIM card (tarjeta SIM).

Google Nexus is a line of mobile devices co-developed by Google and original equipment manufacturers. They run on Android operating system. Devices in the Nexus line do not have manufacturer or wireless carrier modifications to Android, or come with a wireless carrier block.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
There is a store behind the orange store where they can unlock phones.
If they can't unlock it you also can get a code from ebay.
Search for your model to find out the cost.
Once you or they get the code pretty easy to do unless it's an iphone.