The DR made the list

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
IL?s Annual Global Retirement Index 2014: The Categories and Scores

Accurately scoring the world?s top retirement locations is a complex process. So, we?ve broken down each of our categories to give you a ?behind the curtain? look at how we put the Index together.

Real Estate: Countries where real estate prices are low and the purchase of real estate is relatively easy received good scores. For 2014, we have also taken the average purchase price and rental price per square meter into consideration. And we?ve added a ?value factor,? based on reports from our contributing editors and from real estate contacts around the world on how much bang for your buck you get when buying real estate in each country.

Special Benefits: This category considers government provisions that make moving to and living in each country easier and more affordable for foreign retirees. Taken into account are discounts on health care, public transport, airfares, entertainment, utilities, whether you can import goods duty free, property rights for foreign residents, and property tax rates.

Cost of Living: This score is based on the first-hand information collected by our editors and contributors. We look at the daily costs a couple encounter in a destination, utilities, groceries, transport?we ask how much a good meal costs, and if the price of a movie ticket or a day trip out of the city is low?

Ease of Integration: In order to score countries in this category, we looked at things like the degree to which English is spoken, the friendliness of the locals, the size of the existing expat community and the availability of home comforts.

Entertainment and Amenities: Here, we looked at the range of activities open to expats. We rated the quality and availability of restaurants, movie theaters, outdoor activities and local music and art. We also ask our in-country contacts to rate the variety of activities on a scale to see how much excitement you can find in a destination.

Health Care: Considered in this category are the cost of health care and the quality. How much a typical visit to a general practitioner tells you a lot, as does cost and the coverage particulars of health insurance. Also considered are the number of people per doctor, the number of hospital beds per 1,000 people, the percentage of the population with access to safe water, the infant mortality rate, life expectancy, and public health expenditure as a percentage of a country?s GDP.

Retirement Infrastructure: We look at the quality of the roads, the availability of good public transport, the number of cell phones, and Internet penetration, and how easy it is to get to and from the U.S. and Canada by plane.

Climate: Countries with temperate weather throughout the year, moderate rainfall and little risk of natural disaster come out on top in this category. This year, we also took the comfort factor into consideration for the first time. We use data representing each country as a whole instead of favoring one region over another.
http://internationalliving.com/2013/12/the-2013-global-retirement-index-how-its-scored/

The DR came in 23rd place of best retirement destinations.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
IL’s Annual Global Retirement Index 2014: The Categories and Scores

Accurately scoring the world’s top retirement locations is a complex process. So, we’ve broken down each of our categories to give you a “behind the curtain” look at how we put the Index together.

Real Estate: Countries where real estate prices are low and the purchase of real estate is relatively easy received good scores. For 2014, we have also taken the average purchase price and rental price per square meter into consideration. And we’ve added a “value factor,” based on reports from our contributing editors and from real estate contacts around the world on how much bang for your buck you get when buying real estate in each country.

Special Benefits: This category considers government provisions that make moving to and living in each country easier and more affordable for foreign retirees. Taken into account are discounts on health care, public transport, airfares, entertainment, utilities, whether you can import goods duty free, property rights for foreign residents, and property tax rates.

Cost of Living: This score is based on the first-hand information collected by our editors and contributors. We look at the daily costs a couple encounter in a destination, utilities, groceries, transport…we ask how much a good meal costs, and if the price of a movie ticket or a day trip out of the city is low…

Ease of Integration: In order to score countries in this category, we looked at things like the degree to which English is spoken, the friendliness of the locals, the size of the existing expat community and the availability of home comforts.

Entertainment and Amenities: Here, we looked at the range of activities open to expats. We rated the quality and availability of restaurants, movie theaters, outdoor activities and local music and art. We also ask our in-country contacts to rate the variety of activities on a scale to see how much excitement you can find in a destination.

Health Care: Considered in this category are the cost of health care and the quality. How much a typical visit to a general practitioner tells you a lot, as does cost and the coverage particulars of health insurance. Also considered are the number of people per doctor, the number of hospital beds per 1,000 people, the percentage of the population with access to safe water, the infant mortality rate, life expectancy, and public health expenditure as a percentage of a country’s GDP.

Retirement Infrastructure: We look at the quality of the roads, the availability of good public transport, the number of cell phones, and Internet penetration, and how easy it is to get to and from the U.S. and Canada by plane.

Climate: Countries with temperate weather throughout the year, moderate rainfall and little risk of natural disaster come out on top in this category. This year, we also took the comfort factor into consideration for the first time. We use data representing each country as a whole instead of favoring one region over another.
The Scores on How Our 2014 Index Works

The DR came in 23rd place of best retirement destinations.

What they haven't mentioned on there is the political stability of the country, and what called other factors. Ecuador- I would be worried about abuse of power by the government, Indonesia - religious problems....etc.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Frank, The truth always hurts -Les is in CMC shot several times ! It is one of the problems with the Dr that needs to be resolved.

Olly and the Team

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
And Frank,

Read through the list -Crime does not appear at all! how can that be ! Gringos are being targeted - JR earlier in 2013, the people who moved into International Village and were robbed on their second night and now Les and there are others !!!

Olly and the Team

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Frank ,
The Team hopes you can cash your reality check sometime somewhere but recent events suggest that there is much missed in these surveys although we think Matilda was involved. Perhaps she can comment !
What the Team does get is that people are pushing DR over other places and the Truth is the Truth.

Les is in CMC - a Hospital - just in case you dont know - with multiple gun shot wound trying to protect his clients.

The Team do "GET IT" but you dont !

Olly and the Team

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Olly and the Team, you still don't get do you? Have you ever read my comments about the DR? Probably not but maybe you should do so. I've posted a publicized list not my comments nor my opinion so your personal attack was uncalled for.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I'll bet these gringos that are getting "waxed" are very upstanding folks. In no way would provoke the treatment they receive.
What Team is being spoken of??
Thought we all spoke for ourselves on this forum.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Olly and the Team, you still don't get do you? Have you ever read my comments about the DR? Probably not but maybe you should do so. I've posted a publicized list not my comments nor my opinion so your personal attack was uncalled for.

There's no third eye in team. :laugh:

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Ding Ding Ding... Lets get ready to RUUUUUMMMMMBLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Wherever you live in the third world it can be dangerous. Gringo's are often targeted. Many people come to the DR without a clue regarding security, which should be the number one concern. The old expression rings true, "if you got 'nothin than you got nothin to lose. This is unfortunately the mentality of those that are involved in crime in the DR.

LTSteve

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Yes I did the DR input - have done for the last 3 years. You are given a very tight list of questions and just need to answer them, and not provide additional information. They are things like property, retirement options, weather, health. Rather than giving one for the whole country, I split it into 4 - north coast, east and north east, Santo Domingo and Santiago, and central Dominican towns. If anyone wants to see what I did, pm me and will send you the spreadsheet.

Matilda

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
One thing the DR has going for it for people only living part of the year here is the access to flights in North America. It is an easy in and out and 3-4 hours in the air and relatively inexpensive compared to flying to some of the other places on the list.

LTSTeve

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
International Living is simply a magazine for a group of real estate offices.. It has noting to do with the reality on the ground. They do not have offices affilited here in the DR.. but somehow must include us. I am really amazed that they include France and Spain.. for instance (well, the owner of the organization lives in Paris) .. here is what it takes to get residency in France..

Living in France - Getting Your Residency Card

I would not be upset...And it is true that they do not talk about security. They talk mostly about expat concentrations like San Miguel de Allende in Mexico.. where one ends up living with a lot of other expats.. I dunno.. maybe they are a useful resource for some but I always found this site more interesting EFAM | Escape From America Magazine | Live where you want to live… Live how you want to live… And make money doing it!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
International Living is simply a magazine for a group of real estate offices.. It has noting to do with the reality on the ground. They do not have offices affilited here in the DR.. but somehow must include us. I am really amazed that they include France and Spain.. for instance (well, the owner of the organization lives in Paris) .. here is what it takes to get residency in France..

France and particularly Spain are hugely popular retirement destinations for northern Europeans. Not everyone comes from the USA! :)