vacation in punta cana

angelfire

Mar 7, 2012
I am going to Punta Cana for vacation with my husband and i was wondering where is the best place to go shopping, as we have never been to punta cana and wondering where could find some good deals. Any ideas on cheaper excursions than the ones offered at the AI hotels? This will be my 3rd time back in dominican loved santo domingo was a great trip but looking to see some more beautiful sites.
thank you!:)

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Your third time in the dominican or his third time in you?

There are dominican men and woman, there is dominican food, there is dominican landscape, there is dominican beer, dominican beaches, all kinds of things dominican, but this side of the island is the Dominican Republic or the D.R., for short, it is even the domincian side of the island IT is NOT, never has been or ever will be THE DOMINICAN!!!!!

Have you ever been to the Canadian? The American? The Mexican? NO!

do not be ignorant of whats what and where you are!

g'luck

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004

There are dominican men and woman, there is dominican food, there is dominican landscape, there is dominican beer, dominican beaches, all kinds of things dominican, but this side of the island is the Dominican Republic or the D.R., for short, it is even the domincian side of the island IT is NOT, never has been or ever will be THE DOMINICAN!!!!!

g'luck

Dorky response. I don't like the expression either, but it's soooo commonplace that . . .

Shopping from a Punta Cana resort?

If you want to shop DR stuff, go to Higuey (take a local bus) and poke around. Hire the local kids as guides.
DO NOT accept the offer of a sharpie who says he will show you around 'for frenship only . . . no need to pay . . .' Bleah!

If you want high-brow, go to La Romana, but take out a second mortgage first.

I hear there's also a shopping complex somewhere towards the middle of the whole beach area.

Really though, people do not go to Punta Cana to shop. It's beach, booze, bare boobs and burns. Nuff sed?

wbr

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Depends what sort of shopping.
Supermarkets - there are four choices dotted around the area, Nacional in Punta Cana Village, Pola in San Juan Shopping Centre (Coco Loco crossing), Plaza Lama in Palma Real Shopping Centre and Iberia on Avenida Estados Unidos past the Friusa crossing.
Boutiques for clothes, accessories, etc. Palma Real, San Juan, Punta Cana Village.
Souvenirs, cigars in artisans markets in Cortecito and B?varo, like Plaza Bibijagua, also in Palma Real and San Juan Shopping Centres.

angelfire

Mar 7, 2012
Thank you for the responses and the help i sure really appreciate it!! Yes RD is a beautiful place.

torontiago

Dec 14, 2013

g'luck

I love the Dominican...everything about the Dominican calls me back when Im not there. All my friends and family live in the Dominican. The beer and women in the Dominican are the best and Dominicans weather is like none other. The only thing that I dont like about Dominican is ignorant "non-dominicans" thinking they know everything and trying to correct other peoples ways of doing things or talking...if Dominicans themselves call their own island the Dominican..then thats what it is!!

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
Not getting into the debate of the proper command of english, however.... Really? I've never heard a Dominican refer to their own country as the Dominican.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Not getting into the debate of the proper command of english, however.... Really? I've never heard a Dominican refer to their own country as the Dominican.

Very true debinatore, as in Spanish it would be grammatically way off incorrect. La Dominicana would mean a woman not a country. However, in English it is possible and my own 10 y/o does sometimes say "The Dominican", a habit probably learned from her gringo classmates. I would just call it "gringo slang" and leave it at that. Getting all bent about it donluis is pointless.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011

I have heard this from many Dominicans. "Where are you at" ? "In the Dominican". "Donde va"? "Pa Dominicana". Not too long ago I was flying back to Santo Domingo and I was in the Airline Club Lounge. A gentlemen sitting near me struck up a conversation. I recognized the man, he is a member of a rather wealthy family and I have seen him in news several times. He asked me where I was heading to and I said back home to Santo Domingo and his reply was " oh how beautiful, you live in my country the Dominican." I have heard the Dominican Republic being referred to "the Dominican" by the poor, the rich, etc....Right or wrong.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

g'luck

If you take the word Canada and add "in" at the end the word and the meaning of the word totally changes. The word CANADA is a noun and will ALWAYS be used as a noun no matter what, but the word Canadian can be used as a noun or a word to describe a noun. The Canadian woman NOUN, Canadian wine Adjective.

Canada/ Canadian are two DIFFERENT words with different meaning and everyone with some education understand this.

The Dominican Republic/ Dominican LOOKS very similar compared to Cuba/ Cuban by adding JUST ONE letter it totally changes the meaning of the word. The word Dominican in the English language cannot be distinguished just by adding or removing letters to change the meaning like the words Mexico and Mexican.

How the word "Dominican" is USED in a ENGLISH sentence serves the only way the word can be distinguished.

I ate "Dominican" soup the sentence CLEARY shows how the word Dominican is being used.

I married my "Dominican" boyfriend last year once again the word Dominican is clearly being used to DESCRIBE!!!!

I VACTIONED last year in The "Dominican"

You see how each sentence in the ENGLISH language use the word Dominican is three different ways and none are used incorrectly. Yes it would be very simple if the DR did not use the " Dominican" in its official name. Puerto Rico and Puerto Rican are two different words just because of the 'A and N" being added to the end of Rico.

Look at this the official name for France is the "French Republic" Hmmm!!! almost similar to Dominican Republic but FRENCH and FRANCE are two different words.

BTW if the DR is NO LONGER a "Republic" will it STILL and always be the Dominican Republic??? What if I became a KING!!! in DR and changed it to " The Kingdom of Dominican" what will you call it since the official name has CHANGED!!!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

g'luck

The DR messed up not the world. Notice you do not have this sort of confusion with NO other country on the planet. I wonder why.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
The vast majority of Dominicans that I know call the whole country Santo Domingo, until I correct them a few hundred times.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Children are starving in Africa!!!!
THEY don't care, why should YOU?????
PS, in over 30 years, I have NEVER heard a Dominicano call this "ROCK","The Dominican"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

torontiago

Dec 14, 2013
Children are starving in Africa!!!!
THEY don't care, why should YOU?????
PS, in over 30 years, I have NEVER heard a Dominicano call this "ROCK","The Dominican"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I actually hear it everyday...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It is almost treated as a slang and or abbreviated version of the DR by many North Americans. I recall the Tourism Ministry had an ad campaign many years ago referring to the DR as Dominicana not to be confused with Dominica which is another island. Dominicana than got shorten to Dominican. Is it annoying? Yes. I believe at the time they were trying to soften the sound and look of the island. Dominicana vs Dominican Republic is possibly where this all started.

LTSTeve

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
It's called Isla de Santo Domingo according to Dominican constitution.

Interesting, so they might be right, although none of these people ever read the constitution. So maybe the next time Fernandez changes the constitution (six years from now for his second term) they should change the name of the country.

They should also make Spanish the national language, so all people are required to speak like Chip.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
here we go again, wish people would be so quick to answer the actual question asked :rolleyes:

Most Dominicans that I've run into that don't speak English call this Island Santo Domingo. But that's just my experience :)