American born Dominicana immigration to Canada

BrentG905

Jan 26, 2014
Quick Question, My girlfriend was born In Boston and moved to Higuey DR at the age of six so she has both USA and Dominican passports. She has decided she wants to work and live here in Toronto Canada and I'm wondering if her being American would increase the odds of her getting acceptance for permanent resident residency in Canada. She is graduating College in 10 months and speaks English well.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
It is difficult for an American to become a Canadian.

You have to learn stuff like spelling honour with a U and the correct pronounication of words like route and about. Also you have to like stronger Tim Horton?s coffee not to mention peameal bacon and poutine.

As an American you can claim Political Refugee status on entry into Canada.

DS

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
It is difficult for an American to become a Canadian.

You have to learn stuff like spelling honour with a U and the correct pronounication of words like route and about. Also you have to like stronger Tim Horton?s coffee not to mention peameal bacon and poutine.

As an American you can claim Political Refugee status on entry into Canada.

DS

lol, yes for sure she will have more opportunities being success as North American from USA, because all of us are American as we live in America.

bye the way I love bacon poutine, and Tim Horton Donnas, are very good. hehehehe

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The fact that she is an American citizen means EVERYTHING!
The fact that she is also a "Dominicana" means NOTHING!
Go with the "Americana" part!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I was told that graduates of McGill University in Montreal are fast tracked for Canadian citizenship. Most likely there are Toronto universities that also can help make Canadian citizenship happen. She should look into the university path to citizenship. Probably do a masters to qualify, for example.

BrentG905

Jan 26, 2014
Thank you for the replies, the thing I'm concerned about is getting her a job offer it's kind of hard finding a job for her when she isn't here herself yet. Another thing, does her dominican education count for anything? thanks

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Sorry Bob", if you "Don't Get It",....you don't, "GET IT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Personally "Agua", I'm still laughing.
It sounds like something I would have said!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Thank you for the replies, the thing I'm concerned about is getting her a job offer it's kind of hard finding a job for her when she isn't here herself yet. Another thing, does her dominican education count for anything? thanks
Dominican----education.. How's that for your oxymoron of the day?

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
How can I hide it? she's been living in the DR since she was six.

I wasn't being literal. What I mean is, basically, that if having a U.S. citizenship gives her any benefit over her Dominican citizenship, she should use that in her advantage.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.

Of course she needs to include where she graduated from on her CV. Depending on where she applies this could be a plus or a negative, but I believe there are many situations where this could be valuable information, because it indicates she is fluent in Spanish and with another culture.

She should look for jobs where what she learned in the DR is relevant.

There are many universities in the DR that are accredited in the US. I studied at a relatively small business college Instituto de Estudios Superiores (IES) that later became UNAPEC. My business degree there was good enough to get me into Columbia University, so Dominican education can be good. Like your girlfriend, I had lived here all my life, but my education here prepared me for Columbia. I know thousands of others who have studied here and then done masters in leading Ivy League, Canadian and European universities with no problem.

Whether her Dominican education will count, will depend on her. One cannot generalize about a Dominican education.