Food in Sos?a

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
I saw the thread in the "best of" forum about food, but it is several years old. I just arrived here a couple days ago, and I would rather not get sick my first week out. What are some of y'all's favorite safe spots to eat? Preferably on the cheaper side, but I am not opposed to the occasional more expensive meal for special occasions..

I have seen mention of a few places, but I do not know my way around yet. Is there a map online that's adequately highlights the points of interest?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
For lunch the Dominican cafeteria on the side of Bailey's - right hand side as you look at the restaurant - is cheap and we haven't been sick yet. Huge lunch for 2 for around 300 pesos. You have to get there before 1pm or the food may be gone. Someone should be able to post a link for a map for you. It is on the triangle that has a small park in the center of town. Many other places around if you want to spend a little more.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I'm a denizen of Sosua and, believe me, you will have to really try hard to get sick from eating (food) in Sosua.

I can personally recommend all of the eateries of Sosua for 'Lack of getting sickiness', and I have tried them all, but quality is a selective opinion.
You will be fine , from the pollo carbon on the street to the poulet a l'estragon in a fancy place, all's good.

PS
It is illegal to die from good food here, even for Americans....

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Sosua is a fascinating place. I have never been to anywhere quite like it. There is something for everyone there.

I am a foodie, and I have found and continue to find Sosua pleasantly surprising for its dining options. There are a lot of very good restaurants there. It reminds me a lot of NYC's Restaurant Row and I really mean that. ( but smaller of course ) I have taken a couple of friends there when they come down and they are always impressed. You can walk the streets, look and menus, and pick a different place each visit. Quaint small and cozy, eclectic, funky, whatever!

Sosua gets a lot of notoriety for the bars and the chicas, but for fine dining, it would not disappoint any restaurant snob.

And there are also informal and inexpensive great food "joints" there as well. Heck, there is great food to be had on the beach!

The restaurant biz is tough. And on the NC of the DR it's really tough. Unfortunately some places don't make it and that's a shame. But for variety and overall great food, I'll take Sosua any day. And I AM a food snob!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Sosua is a fascinating place. I have never been to anywhere quite like it. There is something for everyone there.

I am a foodie, and I have found and continue to find Sosua pleasantly surprising for its dining options. There are a lot of very good restaurants there. It reminds me a lot of NYC's Restaurant Row and I really mean that. ( but smaller of course ) I have taken a couple of friends there when they come down and they are always impressed. You can walk the streets, look and menus, and pick a different place each visit. Quaint small and cozy, eclectic, funky, whatever!

Sosua gets a lot of notoriety for the bars and the chicas, but for fine dining, it would not disappoint any restaurant snob.

And there are also informal and inexpensive great food "joints" there as well. Heck, there is great food to be had on the beach!

The restaurant biz is tough. And on the NC of the DR it's really tough. Unfortunately some places don't make it and that's a shame. But for variety and overall great food, I'll take Sosua any day. And I AM a food snob!

Care to share this lists of restaurants?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Never been disappointed with any dish out of Orchidee when open, or Schnitzel Paradise.
La Costera is old faithful as well.
My favorite pizza is New Pizza.
Olly's Pork Sandwich is a must have for late night snack, near Villa Flora.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
nice pizza but the cheese is a little bit cheap and unpleasant in my opinion.
I prefer Bella Italia

Actually it's real mozzarella made by REAL Italians in Sabaneta, not the plastic Productos Sosua Cheese.
Different strokes for different folks, I think it is a good pie, and I am pretty picky about my pie.
You can even order a pie with corn on two slices, LOL, if you are sharing it with a special Dominican!

I must say Bella's pizza is equally as good with a nicer atmosphere to dine in, their pastas are decent and reasonable as well.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
Another wonderful option for a delicious pizza is at Terra Linda. They have installed a new wood brick oven and the pizza is delicious.

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
I have been frequenting Bailey's and Tony Yaroa's truck. Was curious about that Chez Mon tral(?) on the corner of PC and Dr. Rosen, and the Midtown, I think it is between I-5 and PC, again on Dr. Rosen. They both look new, but I can thro rocks at both of them from my place. Or that hot dog cart on PC east from Dr. R between the liquor store and the celulares store.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
T, you saying that they use La Zarina?? It doesn't taste like it

He told me he did a while ago, I asked if it was imported, and he told me about The Sabaneta Mozz.
I have always enjoyed his 'za.

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
I visited the Chez Real tonight and got the "Big Nac"- pretty decent if you're a homesick American. It was a reasonable facsimile, although I was surprised to learn, upon exiting and seeing the wall sign, that I could have saved half my money by ordering from the window and taking it to go. The price of wifi and air conditioning, I suppose.
The fried could have used salt, but I've only been here for a week, so I don't know- is that a Dominican thing?

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
I have read a lot about Ollie's pork sandwich. Apparently he sells them from a food cart. Anyone know where he is located? Thanks!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have read a lot about Ollie's pork sandwich. Apparently he sells them from a food cart. Anyone know where he is located? Thanks!

You will not be disappointed!
Walking East from town on Pedro C, it is on the left past Super Super in an empty lot near Villa Flora, look for a truck that says: Ollie's Pork Sandwich, bring the team. Ollie speaks perfect English BTW.