Efforts To Improve Safety In Sosua And Cabarete

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Wednesday, January 29 in Hotel Viva Tangerine in Cabarete a meeting was held for which all significant instances of Sos?a and Cabarete were invited. Among others there were the commanders of the traffic police, national police, the air base, and the tourist police present. In addition, the mayor and vice - mayor of Sos?a, Ilana Neumann and Willy Olivences and the president of the Association of Hotels owners were present. On behalf of the local entrepreneurs Juan Perdomo and Alberto Hidalgo were present. The residents' association, Rotary Club, the association of beach entrepreneurs and taxi operators were also represented. The meeting took place at the initiative of the brigadier general of CESTUR, Am?lcar Fern?ndez Tejada. We speak of CESTUR because the tourist police (POLITUR) has recently changed its name in CESTUR (Cuerpo de Seguridad Especializado Tur?stica).

The following action items were discussed:
1: The officers of CESTUR, so formerly POLITUR are sent regularly to a refresher training from now on. Newly appointed officers have to speak at least two languages, preferably (besides Spanish), English or German.
2: The salaries of the officers shall be raised at least 37% to more than 10,000 pesos per month. According to attendees this is still far too little. A normal household needs at least 30,000 pesos per month. Too low salaries encourage corruption. There was even the suggestion that local entrepreneurs would pay a share to increase the salaries of the officers to an acceptable level.
3: There will now be better cooperated with all involved (police, government, business).
4: There will be more patrols by the police, also in remote locations that are poorly lit.
5: There will be a permanent patrol service on the roads (a combination of roadside and police) that can be invoked in emergencies for help.
6: There will be acted more fierce against noise, speeding motorbikes and drug abuse.
7: The municipal government will do better in refuse collection and filling up potholes in the roads.

Am?lcar Fern?ndez Tejada (the brigadier general of CESTUR) said that prostitution is not the problem of Sos?a and Cabarete. Prostitution is the oldest profession in the world and is practiced in every city all over the world. It is a matter of how to control it. It must stay out of the hands of people traffickers, thieves and drug mafia. For Sos?a and Cabarete a tolerance zone far from the center is an option. In a forthcoming meeting, the implementation and progress of all these policy proposals will be discussed.
Source of information: Alberto Hidalgo (owner Restaurant Tipico Alberto)

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
So the hefe ( General) set the things the way he sees it. Clean up the town and leave the hookers alone. Don't mess with my two business owners who just paid me off! So every player is on the same.sheet of music now.
That's my two cents, nothing more. Hahahah

drescape24

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
I love how they use the word effort. When they fail they can say they tried, aka made some pesos.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So the hefe ( General) set the things the way he sees it. Clean up the town and leave the hookers alone. Don't mess with my two business owners who just paid me off! So every player is on the same.sheet of music now.
That's my two cents, nothing more. Hahahah

drescape24

Creating a red light district would be a significant change.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Creating a red light district would be a significant change.

They closed the closest thing to a red light district down. I have no vested intrest in the ladys of the night other than the banter on dr1. Hahah.

drescape24

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Am?lcar Fern?ndez Tejada (the brigadier general of CESTUR) said that prostitution is not the problem of Sos?a and Cabarete. Prostitution is the oldest profession in the world and is practiced in every city all over the world. It is a matter of how to control it. It must stay out of the hands of people traffickers, thieves and drug mafia. For Sos?a and Cabarete a tolerance zone far from the center is an option.

This is the best idea here. You'll never wipe out the "oldest profession" here, so keep it in controlled, organized areas. Outside those areas, lock them up! Works fine elsewhere in the world.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
They all came.

... in Hotel Viva Tangerine in Cabarete a meeting was held for which all significant instances of Sos?a and Cabarete were invited. Among others there were the commanders of the traffic police, national police, the air base, and the tourist police present. In addition, the mayor and vice - mayor of Sos?a, Ilana Neumann and Willy Olivences and the president of the Association of Hotels owners were present. On behalf of the local entrepreneurs Juan Perdomo and Alberto Hidalgo were present. The residents' association, Rotary Club, the association of beach entrepreneurs and taxi operators were also represented.

Any food and refreshments served?

donP

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
From Ken's post from Sosua News : "The residents' association, Rotary Club, the association of beach entrepreneurs and taxi operators were also represented"

Who represents the Residents ? We on the Team only know of the IRC so who , Ken was present at the meeting representing the Residents?

Olly and the Team

valeri

Feb 3, 2014
Without prostitution Sosua will be a much different place!! Much less tourists - but also much less crime and human waste!! Get rid of mongers too!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The biggest thing they need to do is to bring the wages of the police up to a respectable amount. The paltry amount of $10,000 pesos a month is insane. That works out to about $260us a month...how is a man and his family supposed to live on that without supplementing his income is some other way? Do we really expect a man to protect the people in this town on that wage...on top of that, the $10,000 pesos is a 37% increase over what they are making now? HOLY CRAP!!! It is amazing it is as safe as it is in this town...

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Ken,

As you have not responded about "who represnted " the Resdients" at this meeting it seems you dont know. As Waytogo and Tamborisa disliked the post it suggest they know who represented the "residents".
Can you share it with the rest of us on the north coast ?

Olly and the Team

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Ken,

As you have not responded about "who represnted " the Resdients" at this meeting it seems you dont know. As Waytogo and Tamborisa disliked the post it suggest they know who represented the "residents".

Olly and the Team

Olly,

You really are a bag of wind!

Instead of antagonizing poor Ken, who is just relaying the news, not writing it, why don't you go to the OPEN MEETINGS @ City Hall and tell us.

Tambo without a "Team"

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Tambo - so you dont know either! Yes the team is making enquiries and when we find out will publish it here. This is all our concern including you. Dont you want to know who is representing you on matters of security ! You are a "resident" aren't you ?
If the Team had known about the meeting it would have gone be assured! This is important to all of us here.

Olly and the Team

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken,

Olly and the Team

No, I didn't go, and you have lectured me often about "plagiarizing" to know full well I cut and paste, don't report the news.

Now if I was lucky enough to have a "team", I might have sent one of them.

Regarding your team, why should you get all the credit for the posts made the team? Please introduce them so we can know who these contributors are.

Like the wallpaper sticks to the wall
Like the seashore clings to the sea
Like you'll never get rid of your shadow
You'll never get rid of me

Let all the others fight and fuss
Whatever happens, we've got us.

(Me and my shadow)
We're closer than pages that stick in a book
We're closer than ripples that flow in a brook
(Strolling down the avenue)
Wherever you find him, you'll find me, just look
Closer than a miser or the bloodhounds to Liza

Me and my shadow
We're closer than smog to all of L.A.
We're closer than Ricky to confessing he's gay??
Not a soul can bust this team in two
We stick together like glue

And when it's sleeping time
That's when we rise
We start to swing
Our clocks don't chime
What a surprise
They ring-a-ding-ding!
Happy New Year!

(Me and my shadow)
And now to repeat what I said at the start
They'll need a large crowbar to break us apart
We're alone but far from blue

Before we get finished, we'll make the town roar
We'll hit a few late spots, and then a few more
We'll wind up at Stringy's and maybe Groucho's
Life is gonna be we-wow-whee!
For my shadow and me!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Ken,
Thanks for the NO - no you dont know who was there to represent the "Residents" .

Olly and the Team

Aug 21, 2007
Ken,
Thanks for the NO - no you dont know who was there to represent the "Residents" .

Olly and the Team

I don't want to post another negative comment, but Olly, neither do you know who was there. So, why are you taking a stance of superiority? You know who the mayor is. I assume you know where her office is. The communications person is Felix Corona, I believe. Why not just contact one of them, rather than try to bicker?

Lindsey

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken,

Olly and the Team

That's true, and neither does the "team", i.e., kukla, fran, and olly.