Flying Into Puerto Plata - Info on deplaning and going through Customs,etc.

Enigma23

Jan 6, 2014
Hi All,

I have been to the DR about 6 times visiting my Fiance but always flew into SDQ. Am flying into POP this time.

I will be buying my Tourist Card in advance (don't like long lines/lots of DR waiting :) )and just like to grab my bags and go when I deplane... so I have a couple of questions.

When I exit the pane what is the fastest/best route to Aduanas and Baggage Claim?

If I take a checked bag where do I retrieve it?

After I get my bags, what's the course to reunite?

Also in SDQ there's this huge "catwalk" that you walk down in front of everyone (frickin hate that thing!!) before you find your people.. is it like that in POP?

What I am hoping for is something like a review/instructions... lol Anybody have insight like this for POP???

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
There is only one route to take - the airport's not that big. By-pass the line of people buying tourist visas to passport check. Then, you will have no choice but to arrive at the baggage carousels. The people who were buying visas will catch you up again while you are waiting for your baggage. Follow the people/signs and eventually you will emerge into a field of smiling faces arrayed around the exit. No cat-walk.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The fastest way out is to allow a Porter to "help you through" customs for a small fee. Otherwise you are in the same lines as everyone else except for buying the tourist card.

Enigma23

Jan 6, 2014
There is only one route to take - the airport's not that big. By-pass the line of people buying tourist visas to passport check. Then, you will have no choice but to arrive at the baggage carousels. The people who were buying visas will catch you up again while you are waiting for your baggage. Follow the people/signs and eventually you will emerge into a field of smiling faces arrayed around the exit. No cat-walk.

Thanks so much for you quick and great response!!

So If I do not check a bag... usually the only reason I check a bag is to bring "gifts and supplies (alcohol)" lol this time I am debating to just go carry-on only. It sounds like from what you say, if I do that I am golden... Yes?

Jajaja made me giggle about the field of smiling faces... yep! I do enjoy the DR.

Enigma23

Jan 6, 2014
@ Harleysrock Oh okay, Cool, Thanks! I just try to be prepared and have had MANY, many surprises in the DR... So many adventures... I just try to minimize my look of Extra?jera as much as possible especially since it's a new place. I do love the Cibao over the Capital though feels a little closer to home.

Enigma23

Jan 6, 2014
The fastest way out is to allow a Porter to "help you through" customs for a small fee. Otherwise you are in the same lines as everyone else except for buying the tourist card.

How do I go about this?? And what is a "small fee" to you? 1 USD 2 USD? 5 USD?

I don't usually exchange til we get to his city. My Fiance mostly handles the money, negotiates or advises me on what's fair... lol He's Dominican and very protective.. :p So it works out well...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
POP airport is about as as small as a fart of a roach. there is only one way out, really, it's not a market in cairo, you know. everyone does the same: pass through immigration, retrieve luggage, exit. nothing strange about it. in SD the catwalk is in place otherwise arrivals would be worse mess than walmart black friday sale. in POP you also parade in front of the people waiting on the outside but they are only on one side and the crowds are considerably smaller.

May 29, 2006
Most important thing to know is to look for the free rum and cokes before the immigration checkpoint.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
POP airport is about as as small as a fart of a roach. there is only one way out, really, it's not a market in cairo, you know. everyone does the same: pass through immigration, retrieve luggage, exit. nothing strange about it. in SD the catwalk is in place otherwise arrivals would be worse mess than walmart black friday sale. in POP you also parade in front of the people waiting on the outside but they are only on one side and the crowds are considerably smaller.

You forgot the most important part of the process. ....... Stop at the cambio and get 32 pesos for each dollar like the rest of the tourists...

Enigma23

Jan 6, 2014
Thanks to everyone for your helpful and amusing responses! It is appreciated.

@PaGuyinDR... Is that what they give.. Wow! I never even looked.

If I have to exchange any money at all... We go to the bank or to a local exchanger we like.