Trouble in DR

May 5, 2007
I don't know if the good people of DR1 are more energetic in their search for news or if things have really escalated dramatically, but for fist time in conversations with friends in the USA I am beginning to hear that they won't travel to DR due to reports of violence and attacks on foreigners

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmmm... there are many factors here. the media like stories like this and publish them every day so crime gets considerably more exposure than 10 or even 5 years ago. also the economic situation of dominicans is not particularly great. and desperate times call for desperate measures.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't know if the good people of DR1 are more energetic in their search for news or if things have really escalated dramatically, but for fist time in conversations with friends in the USA I am beginning to hear that they won't travel to DR due to reports of violence and attacks on foreigners

More energetic. These articles sought out more aggressively now by a poster than ever before in the years I have been on DR1.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Born and raised (1st 30 years) in Chicago..........
Much more dangerous in Chicago than Santiago.............
But I do watch out for myself more, here, in the D.R.............
I guess when you get older, you loose the mindset of being invincible...........

B in Santiago

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
hmmm... there are many factors here. the media like stories like this and publish them every day so crime gets considerably more exposure than 10 or even 5 years ago. also the economic situation of dominicans is not particularly great. and desperate times call for desperate measures.

The media has always been publishing these stories. They have not always been immediately republished on dr1 as is the case now.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The media has always been publishing these stories. They have not always been immediately republished on dr1 as is the case now.

well, thank you. i do my best. most posters here do not read newspapers at all.

newspapers always published policiales, yes, but they never featured so prominently on the front pages.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm happy dv8 is posting these stories, so I don't need to read any further than Rosca Izquierda and the front page headlines of DL.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
well, thank you. i do my best. most posters here do not read newspapers at all.

newspapers always published policiales, yes, but they never featured so prominently on the front pages.

I think I am questioning whether it is a good thing.

valeri

Feb 3, 2014

Not at all! I feel VERY safe in DR ! Just do not go to wrong places, do not do wrong things, do not communicate with wrong people and do not make wrong decisions!! And you will be alive and healthy for many years!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No news is good news, I guess. I haven't heard of any violence towards foreigners here in Jarabacoa, yet. Perhaps we are just lucky.

May 12, 2005
Violence against foreigners almost always has one of these involved, drugs, underage girls, barrio rat novio/as, flahing cash or shady business dealings with locals or other ex-pats.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012

If I were White I definitely would not live in the DR, and would probably not vacation here either. This website is keeping a count of the number of gringos getting killed, so far the tally is 34!

Dominican Watchdog - News you can trust about the Dominican Republic :: Dominican Watchdog

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I think I am questioning whether it is a good thing.

honestly, ken, i do not know. i sometimes wonder too. i do not mind being called a beast, ghoul, vampire and whatnot and i see the interest those threads generate. also, please note that there has been more recently but for some time last year it was more quiet and i did not post many stories like that. so it comes and goes. the impression it gives... well... this is DR. crime and violence are one of the biggest issues for dominican population, much more so than for foreigners who have money and means to protect themselves.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
It's pretty much common knowledge that the website you are quoting in various threads is a biased crusade by someone with his own grudge/agenda.

Perhaps you're right......but are the stories being featured true or false? I suspect an agenda as well......but, I also want the truth. As long as the news being featured is accurate then in my eyes it is legit. Something is clearly wrong with this country.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Violence against foreigners almost always has one of these involved, drugs, underage girls, barrio rat novio/as, flahing cash or shady business dealings with locals or other ex-pats.

I don't buy this. The problem I see here on DR1 is that people try to brush aside what is happening or act like it is not a big deal. 34 gringos dead since 2010 is a big deal. If I were living in a country where 34 Blacks or African Americans had been killed in about 4 years I'd be on the first flight back to the states, as the message would be clear.

It isn't just the violence either, it is also the corruption. Dominicans have been mostly friendly to me but when you're spending money on their product or service why wouldn't they be? This country is all about the money and some of the locals are willing to go to more aggressive extremes to get it.

I also suspect that many here on DR1 are heavily invested in this country with bank account, real estate, investments, etc, and they are in a state of denial because if what is happening is real it will impact them and maybe force them to leave, so they stick their heads in the sand.