It's ALL Bad in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2007
German woman robbed! Canadian missionary shot 9 times! Drugs are rampant! The police are out of control! Every place is shutting down. The economy is depressed. The mayor doesn't know what she is doing. You can't trust anyone. Your safety is at risk. The Haitians should be sent home. ATM's are robbing everyone?..

Did I miss anything?

Well, that is the version you may read and thrive on here. My version?

I had a great day. The sun was shining. I walked on the beach. Talked to some nice people. Delancer helped me solve a problem with my internet. Chatted a bit with the neighbors and security guards. Shopped at Playero, where I wasn't ripped off. Felt safe all day long. Ordered pizza for dinner. It arrived in about 20 minutes, hot and delicious. And now, ready to go to bed listening to the waves.

Believe the version you wish. I will, too.

And feel free to add your own.

Lindsey

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
German woman robbed! Canadian missionary shot 9 times! Drugs are rampant! The police are out of control! Every place is shutting down. The economy is depressed. The mayor doesn't know what she is doing. You can't trust anyone. Your safety is at risk. The Haitians should be sent home. ATM's are robbing everyone…..

Did I miss anything?

I had a great day. The sun was shining. I walked on the beach. Talked to some nice people. Delancer helped me solve a problem with my internet. Chatted a bit with the neighbors and security guards. Shopped at Playero, where I wasn't ripped off. Felt safe all day long. Ordered pizza for dinner. It arrived in about 20 minutes, hot and delicious. And now, ready to go to bed listening to the waves.

Lindsey

glad you don't think you were ripped off at Playero.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
German woman robbed! Canadian missionary shot 9 times! Drugs are rampant! The police are out of control! Every place is shutting down. The economy is depressed. The mayor doesn't know what she is doing. You can't trust anyone. Your safety is at risk. The Haitians should be sent home. ATM's are robbing everyone…..

Did I miss anything?

Lindsey

I had a similar day. Only a couple of differences.

I watched 2 guys fight on the beach, was a small one...no one was hurt other than some pride.

I did get ripped off at Playero as the prices are stupid but it is all we have for some stuff...so I should not complain ;-)

I had to yell at a guy who was hitting a dog with a stick...the guy turned and looked at me with a scowl and the dog took off.....

I went to La Union, saw a young fella do a wheelie on a moto...he wiped out and scratched up his bike. I smiled a bit.

Went into Charamicos to have a beer or 5...nothing of note happened.

Had some chicken from Ollies...it was tasty.

The sun went down nicely and there is a very nice breeze tonight.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
German woman robbed! Canadian missionary shot 9 times! Drugs are rampant! The police are out of control! Every place is shutting down. The economy is depressed. The mayor doesn't know what she is doing. You can't trust anyone. Your safety is at risk. The Haitians should be sent home. ATM's are robbing everyone?..

Did I miss anything?

Lindsey

Lindsey,

Your version is much like ours. It is refreshing to hear that others enjoy the Sosua area as we do. Thanks for this post!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Lindsey,

Your version is much like ours. It is refreshing to hear that others enjoy the Sosua area as we do. Thanks for this post!

glad to hear that you are so happy with the place. maybe your felicity would be a little bit tempered by a guy pegging off nine rounds at you, no?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

Did I miss anything?

My German neighbour who lives about half a mile beyond me further up the track emailed me a few days ago to say she thought it was about time to get some form of gun - she said a few others were interested so perhaps we could get a 'deal' if we, as friends, bought 3 or 4 between us.... if and when the day comes that I don't feel safe in my house without a gun (which I wouldn't in a million years know how to shoot and would probably be used to shoot me) that may be the day I leave my home in the DR and go back to the UK with all its rules and regulations!

Lindsey

My German neighbour who lives about half a mile beyond me further up the track emailed me a few days ago to say she thought it was about time to get some form of gun - she said a few others were interested so perhaps we, as friends, could get a 'deal' if we bought 3 or 4 between us.... if and when the day comes that I don't feel safe in my house without a gun (which I wouldn't in a million years know how to shoot and would probably be used to shoot me) that may be the day I leave my home in the DR and go back to the UK with all its rules and regulations!

I had a usual work day online, shopped for a little at Janet's in Cabarete, talked to the guy in Banco Popular who is trying to get my RD$16.5K back that was fraudulently used in September, got a great deal with discount on more paint from Freddy's and had two baby lambs born last night.

I agree with Lindsey that there is far more good than bad!

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
got a great deal with discount on more paint from Freddy's andhad two baby lambs born last night.

I agree with Lindsey that there is far more good than bad!

Congrats!

Have you named the baby lamb chops yet, pics please.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
The females are not killed any more as I prefer to see them floric in the field than have them on my plate - soft and stupid or what Tambo?

Can't they frolic with just three legs and a wooden one?.....

Just one, that's all.
Promise...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The females are not killed any more as I prefer to see them floric in the field than have them on my plate - soft and stupid or what Tambo?

Mint and Jam are nice names, or Bella and Ella?
Agreed, let them grow up to be proud abuelas in the rolling hills of Yasica.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
my neighbor was jumped today 10 feet from the entrance to our complex by 2 guys on a moto. he was walking home from the gym and they tried to get his gym bag for some reason. not everyone lives in infiniti blu and drives a big jeep

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
my neighbor was jumped today 10 feet from the entrance to our complex by 2 guys on a moto. he was walking home from the gym and they tried to get his gym bag for some reason. not everyone lives in infiniti blu and drives a big jeep

Yep, my guards are the bars on my windows and the dudes that drink beer/play dominos on the corner. My big Jeep are my feets!!

My world and the world of Infiniti Blu are 2 very different worlds....even though they are only a short distance apart. I fall asleep to the sounds of roosters, dogs and motoconchos.

I like my world.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Agree. Rode over to Sosua for the weekend with the fellas to partake in the super bowel festivities. Countless chicas in town to assist us in our mission. No problems what so ever. Even checked out the local game cocks.

Aug 21, 2007
Yep, my guards are the bars on my windows and the dudes that drink beer/play dominos on the corner. My big Jeep are my feets!!

My world and the world of Infiniti Blu are 2 very different worlds....even though they are only a short distance apart. I fall asleep to the sounds of roosters, dogs and motoconchos.

I like my world.

I will not make an excuse for where I live, but if you are in the neighborhood, then you must know that it is my group finishing construction on the church above the grocery, and in that skeleton of a structure, we hold programs for neighborhood kids 3 times a week. Further, we have provided food packets and emergency help to neighboring families in crisis, as referred to us by pastors and neighborhood business owners and leaders. We are doing our part to make your and our neighborhood a better place for all.

Since you live nearby, why don't you join us? We can always use more volunteers. I bet you have great insight on the specific needs of our neighborhood. Feel free to contact me via PM.

By the way, my jeepeta is 8 years old and not running so well these days.

Lindsey

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
.... if and when the day comes that I don't feel safe in my house without a gun (which I wouldn't in a million years know how to shoot and would probably be used to shoot me)

You don't need a gun! Just push that big red panic button from time to time. :laugh:

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
I also live in Infiniti Blu, for only two more weeks!!!When we moved to the DR afew years back we lived on a side street, calle Boliva in Playa Chichita, only a dog, the hatians living across the street,playing dominoes under the street light, and only bars on the windows. Never felt that we were in any type of danger....we heard the roosters, the ocean on a windy day, children to teach, and happy times listen to the slamming of dominoes. We were convinced by others that it was not safe, for whatever reason I do not know, we moved to Infiniti Blu have a one year lease which thank God is up in 2 weeks. We are now moving to a neighborhood with REALpeople andthe sounds of the DR.....we are not worried about safety, have all the precautions,dog, sensor lights, machete maybe gun NEVER....looking forward to seeing the smiles that we moved here for along with the sounds of the country call us strange but Infinit Blu is unfriendly, sterile and unless you want to live on a restort type environment people coming and going then I would not advise it, beside I am learning Spanish and here I feel I need to learn Russian...to each his own but we moved here because of the people and country...not to be on vacation and definately not to change the people to our US mode of thinking,.....and yes I do volunteer work....My husband and I volunteer at Monkey Jungle and I am their hygienist every Saturday and I tutor many foreign children but I also tutor thel local children whom I just meet in different areas,give them books and pencils and when they see me again they bring their papera and we sit and do writing and math...they are the reason we are here along with the smiles I see at Monkey jungle, people who walk that hill and sit all day for medical anddental care...TO EACH HIS OWN

Status
Not open for further replies.