Western Union Dominican Republic

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Can I receive a Western Union here in DR?

What is the largest amount I can receive?

Will it be given to me in usd or pesos?

Thanks everyone!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Yes
$2999 without using the telephone more with some red tape.
Either, good luck collecting USD without a delay

****Exchange rate/FEE is TERRIBLE, use a bank wire.
$40.43 net of fees, ughhhhhhhh in other words $189 USD in the wazoo.

Xoom is better.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
By the time you get finished paying the fee at the sending end and getting Pesos at a bad rate here, then exchanging them for dollars you can buy a Castle Burger. (Frozen)

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I've had no problems receiving USD at Western Union. The person sending just needs to specify, 'for pick in USD'.
They all have USD on premises.
The only problem is the fee they charge the sender to send money.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I've had no problems receiving USD at Western Union. The person sending just needs to specify, 'for pick in USD'.
They all have USD on premises.
The only problem is the fee they charge the sender to send money.

Which WU gave you US dollars? I had a few transactions shipped in dollars and they said they had to pay in pesos.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
SKY, just a typical Dominican scam!
About 25 years ago I had some money sent to "BHD", when I went to pick it up they said, we have no dollars here, we can only give you pesos.
When I went to the main office, they said, "Not True" and gave me dollars.
"Xoom" it!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I've collected in dollars in La Sirena in POP. Probably had to pay in pesos because the sender so specified.
Der Fish

No, the sender said to pay in dollars. Was coming from the US. Maybe La Sirena is a large office and will pay in dollars.

Another thing with WU is when you send dollars to the US they will make you change them to pesos to send. Complete ripoff.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Been sending via WU for almost 2 years, never had a problem, just got "flagged" 2 weeks ago. Had to call in and answer stupid questions
"Why do you send money to the DR?"
"What is the relationship to you of the person you are sending money to?"
"What is your occupation?"
"What is your annual income?"
"When you send the money via WU are you taking it out of a bank account?"
"What is the birth date of the receiver?"
Etc., etc.

It was when they told me that they would have to investigate and I needed to send in bank statements, information from my job, etc when I told the person on the phone to go "f*ck himself", I make my money and I have a right to send it.

Gonna check out this xoom thing. Right now just still sending WU under the BF's name but I'm sure they will catch up to that soon as the receiver is still the same. I never had a problem until now and they have made me so mad. Gonna try MoneyGram also, anyone ever use that?

SHALENA

Apr 13, 2011
The sender in the US must select "Send as US dollars" - and the receiver in the DR can pick up the money at Western Union as USD.

In regards to amounts - it is true that the sender in the US can typically send as much as $2500 - BUT some of the Western Union offices in the DR limit the amount of USD they will give out per transaction (in order to have enough USD to do any other transactions that day).

I have never had a problem with someone receiving up $1200 USD as one transaction. I tried to send more than that a few times - and each time, the DR office refunded the money - but when I sent it as two transactions, each under $1200, then they both went through with no problem.

But - yes, you very much can receive USD at Western Union in the DR. Then the receiver can take the USD to wherever they want to change to pesos at a good rate as they need pesos.

Apr 13, 2011
I have also used Moneygram. They do not have the "security check/questionaire" that Western Union puts you through - which is good.

Moneygram fees are ok, not great, but ok.
They give you three options for the receiver:
10-minute delivery in local currency that the receiver goes to a Banco Popular to pick up
Or Delivery to Home in local Currency
Or Deliver to Home in USD
But the Deliver to Home options are not immediate... and I do not trust having someone know or others see that a Moneygram delivery just happened at the house - so I have only done the "Local Currency/Pick Up" option.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Just created an account with xoom. Sounds too good to be true but will see how it works next week right before I get back to Santiago.

SHALENA

Apr 13, 2011
There are a list of Banks that Moneygram works with in the DR. Their website shows who they are - I know Banco Popular is one of the Banks that a receiver can go to to pick up the money with all the info/transaction number (similar to Western Union).

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Which WU gave you US dollars? I had a few transactions shipped in dollars and they said they had to pay in pesos.

Numerous, La Sirena Santiago, Sosua, Cabarete, Veragua, and Gaspar Hernandez.....the only one I had problems with was GH, as they didn't have enough USD, and they wouldn't change it into pesos....so I had to go to Cabarete.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
There are a list of Banks that Moneygram works with in the DR. Their website shows who they are - I know Banco Popular is one of the Banks that a receiver can go to to pick up the money with all the info/transaction number (similar to Western Union).

Ye, I saw many Banco Popular and BHD locations when I looked also.

SHALENA

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Shalena, this is routine what they were asking you. They just want to make sure that you are not involved in any illicit activity(drugs, money laundering, etc) because of the frequency in sending money and the amounts.

The government is now doing surveillance.They will be keeping track of people's movements and transactions.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Shalena, this is routine what they were asking you. They just want to make sure that you are not involved in any illicit activity(drugs, money laundering, etc) because of the frequency in sending money and the amounts.

The government is now doing surveillance.

So my thing is....let the government do it. Report me to the Government but I'm not going to jump through hoops for Western Union. Like, why in the world would I send WU copies of my bank statements, paycheck stubs, etc.? That's just stupid.
The US Government knows how much money I make and I doubt that they would have a problem or have asked me all of those questions like WU did. Also, the Government has access to my passport records...

I just believe WU is going above and beyond what is needed in these types of cases, this is not their realm. If they suspect suspicious activity, report it to the Government, period.

I understand they are trying to crack down on drugs and such but that is not WU's territory. That's all. And maybe I was ****ed that day because I sent the money while I was on 161st street and got a call from Bertania that I had to call WU by the time I was on 34th street. I mean, why wouldn't the flag come up when I tried to send the money instead of allowing me to send it and then not allowing the receiver to receive it? Dummies.

Well, now they are losing a very good customer. Their loss.

SHALENA

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've been sending money to DR for decades, using the same place in Atlantic City forever. A year or two back, we had to send $3000 for something, I forget what, so I went to the bank and withdrew it. Mr. AE took it in, and they wanted proof of where the money came from. "they" being the company that the local store uses to send the money. Apparently it's a legal requirement, when you send over a certain amount. I'm not sure what that amount is.

We had no proof of anything, banks don't give you a receipt when you withdraw cash, or cash a check. They finally took the word of the woman in the store, who assured them she's known us for decades.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
To save money on your "XOOM" transfers, you should open a bank account here where you can send the money.
For example, if you have a "BHD" account the fees drop dramatically.
If you send more than $3,000 US a month, you have to do "Something", I don't know what, but when I tried, I couldn't.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I believe XOOM uses Caribe Express, many offices in the DR. You'll save a fortune over WU.