Dehumidifier?

Franciesvangogh

Dec 17, 2013
Hello all,

Since a couple of months I live in Las Terrenas. I want to protect my electronics from the humidity, but an AC is not really an option because of the high costs of electricity here. Now I am investigating about dehumidifiers. Do you guys have any experience with this? Or have any tips in general?

Greetings Francies

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Not sure if we are just dealing with humidity here,- especially in your area I believe salt air is the main culprit. I would love to hear from people in Santiago or similar place as to their experiences. Also want to know about dehumidifiers ,- hope you get some responses.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
They sell them in the big stores (Americana, Plaza Lama, Jumbo). I believe the new inverter air conditioners have built in dehumidifiers.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Hola Francies, I too live in LT and have found that the best solution is one of those boxes, whose name I forget, which level out the electric supply with all it's surges and drops. Compulandia at the top of town sells them. (UPS I think!)

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I use one when I go back to Canada. I do not use it when I am here as they generate heat when they are turned on. As far as cost goes it is much less to operate then AC. Keep in mind that AC is a dehumidifier by its nature so even if it costs a bit more at least you will be comfortable. My dehumidifier costs approx $70US per month to run (24/7) when I am not here. A bargin compared to what could be ruined with high humidity.

May 5, 2007
I seriously doubt that.

I used to use one in our former apartment, which was humid. Works well. Bought it at Corripio for like 7000 pesos or so.

I don't. Most of the electricity used by an A/C involves removal of water from the air. I'm sure you can look up operating costs but when I had to run dehumidifier in a basement dam thing ate electricity like crazy

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Typically the size of compressor in a dehumidifier is smaller than a window AC unit, so energy consumption is less. But if the AC removes more moisture than the dehumidifier in the same amount of time then that would negate the energy savings. See if you can find online the energy ratings of the models you are thinking of buying to help with your decision.

One last thing to consider, the dehumidifier puts the hot air it creates into the room, the AC sends it outside.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I don't. Most of the electricity used by an A/C involves removal of water from the air. I'm sure you can look up operating costs but when I had to run dehumidifier in a basement dam thing ate electricity like crazy

When I used the dehumidifier I never saw a peak in electricity consumption, like I saw when I would use the A/C for longer times during summer.

But on the other hand...the dehumidifier stops when desired humidity level is reached.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I put my air conditioner outside so the "Hot Air" would be "OUTSIDE" no matter what!
Derfish, use the "Exhaust" setting!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"Island",...Funny $HIT"!!!!!!!

May 5, 2007
My Colombian in-laws also thought that the hot air was blown outside. Didn't understand that the inside air was being recirculated within the house. Look it up and study it maybe it is beyond you I don't know.

Fish, I don't need to look that one up and doubt anyone else does. On the "recirculate" setting, air is drawn from the room, cooled and blown back into room at lower temperature. On exhaust, air is drawn from outside and cool air is blown into room

Unless as I had jokingly said (Sometimes reality defies belief) you had mounted the unit backward, hot/exhaust air is never blown back into room would kind of defeat the purpose of an "air conditioner" wouldn't it?

Now mounting your unit backward isn't really that much of a debacle now is it?:rolleyes:

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
ACs do not send hot air outside.

Technically you are right, and my poor wording confused you. Let me rephrase.

One last thing to consider, the dehumidifier releases the heat it creates (while removing water from the air) into the room, the AC releases the heat it creates (while removing water from the air) outside.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Well. I do not quite understand why somebody would buy a dehumidifier and not a decent AC. If you buy an AC - split ( not the old-fashioned window unit) you can normally select the dehumidifier mode. Furthermore you can select a pretty high temperature and the AC will not use so much electricity. Then you also have the option to actually use the AC to cool down the room, when it is very hot outside.
Important is off course, that your room is insolated with good windows and doors. They have to close completely. If you have these common Dominican windows, where water, wind and bugs are getting in at every corner - hmmmm - you will eventually get a high electricity bill.
Even better are the AC with inverter system. They use a lot less electricity, however they are pretty pricy..
I once looked for a dehumidifier and if I don’t remember wrong it consumed a maximum of 2000 KW , which is pretty much the same as a small AC. And then I had to empty the water canister manually. :rolleyes:

May 29, 2006
If you don't have an air tight place, a dehumidifier won't do much at all. Keeping your equipment on will be just as effective since water will condense on the coldest surface in living space and anything on will be warmer.