insurance for canadians visiting dr

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
Hello, I am wondering if it is possible for non Dominicans to purchase medical insurance while in the Dominican republic from a Dominican company.
I am going to dr for a period of 6 months or more and i would like to get insurance from over there.
I looked a blue cross from Canada to travel to dr, and the longest period accepted is 6 months,.
I was wondering since i want to stay longer, if there was a possibility to apply from a Dominican company.
My husband has insurance in dr but i would have to have a Dominican ID to get on with him with the insurance he has at his work.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm an "Illegal Alien" here in the DR, have been for 18 years.
I have had DR medical insurance for all that time.
They have paid 100's of thousands of pesos in medical care over those years, for me, and my family.
"ARS Universal".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
I'm an "Illegal Alien" here in the DR, have been for 18 years.
I have had DR medical insurance for all that time.
They have paid 100's of thousands of pesos in medical care over those years, for me, and my family.
"ARS Universal".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

so with just my passport i can go to one of their office and purcase?
i know prices can varry alot and for different survice, but is it afourdable?.

blue cross for 6 months was 900 canadian dollars.. and i was like wtffff . i probably wont even get sick, (hopfuly)
i dont want to pay that at all!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Take your passport and go.
I don't see why you can't join your husband's plan????
They probably just don't want to pay for it.
I pay about 18,000 pesos ever 3 months, but that's for 3 adults, & three children.
There are various plans available, at different prices.
Go for the best you can afford.
Better safe than sorry!
You will BOTH sleep better knowing you are covered.
Where will you be living.
DR1ers can suggest the best doctors and hospitals in your area.
CC

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
Take your passport and go.
I don't see why you can't join your husband's plan????
They probably just don't want to pay for it.
I pay about 18,000 pesos ever 3 months, but that's for 3 adults, & three children.
There are various plans available, at different prices.
Go for the best you can afford.
Better safe than sorry!
You will BOTH sleep better knowing you are covered.
Where will you be living.
DR1ers can suggest the best doctors and hospitals in your area.
CC

thanks alot for that info, should be way less for just myself .

He spoke to his human rescourses at work and that was the info she told him, that i would need dominican recidence card to be on his plan with him. which i find weird cause his father is on it with him.. here in canada its yourself husband and kids and no one else.

yes better safe than sorry, i never get sick over here so i hope that doesnt change while i am over there.

not sure yet where we will live, but he is apartment seaching at the momment gazcue / zona colonial, (santo domingo)

ill be there in about 3 months, do ppl from dr1 get together sometimes? like arrange a day out and get togheter.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I hope you never get sick here too.
But traffic accidents here are common, and a hospital stay gets expensive.
CC
We used to have frequent DR1 gatherings, but they always ended up with to many people in the hospital!!!!
"Joking"!!!
We do.
We just had a great US Thanksgiving Day celebration in Boca Chica, 28 Nov.
Rent a BIG HOUSE, and we'll all come to visit.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
I hope you never get sick here too.
But traffic accidents here are common, and a hospital stay gets expensive.
CC
We used to have frequent DR1 gatherings, but they always ended up with to many people in the hospital!!!!
"Joking"!!!
We do.
We just had a great US Thanksgiving Day celebration in Boca Chica, 28 Nov.
Rent a BIG HOUSE, and we'll all come to visit.

Thanks for the great info. I think i will sleep better tonight just knowing that it is possible for insurance without being a resident :). Hhaha. No open house for me. But sure eould like to meet some great ppl from her one day. Some times its great to feel like at home while far away from home. Or to just speak english hahaj. Thanks

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
you can go to my agent Marcos Serra Alvarez.. in Gazcue.. corner of Pasteur and Santiago 809 910 8205 and he will compare plans and prices for you .. very good service

Mountainannie, thank you so much, amazing, my husband works right off of there, we sure will go see him. thanks :)

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hello, I am wondering if it is possible for non Dominicans to purchase medical insurance while in the Dominican republic from a Dominican company.
I am going to dr for a period of 6 months or more and i would like to get insurance from over there.
I looked a blue cross from Canada to travel to dr, and the longest period accepted is 6 months,.
I was wondering since i want to stay longer, if there was a possibility to apply from a Dominican company.
My husband has insurance in dr but i would have to have a Dominican ID to get on with him with the insurance he has at his work.

According to the law if your husband has an insurance from work, he just need to present a copy of your marriage certificate, and a copy of your passport, the system also acept passport numbers for the TSS reports, and to add you is for free, no extra charges or taxes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i checked with few insurances a while ago: you need to have a cedula to join the TSS. you can get a complimentary insurance thou, some employer will offer to partially cover the costs for such insurance for family members of the worker.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
his work said I would need a cedula and I don't have so that's why ill be looking to apply on my own privately