Import of car from Belgium

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Hi,

Friends are moving here and want to bring their Freelander 2008 over, although I told them not to. Does anybody know any companies in Belgium or Holland who can give them a quote.

Thanks,

BelgianK

Christiantoy

Feb 10, 2014
Hi belgiank,
Please tell your friends that the law on importing cars into the Dominican Rep. does not allow to import a car more than 5 years old going by year of fabrication not by date car was manufactured.In other words, we are now in 2014, minus 5 years brings us to 2009. Any model car manufactured for the 2009 year can be imported. Any car before 2009 the law does not allow, and your friends will have to possibly forfeit their car at the dock, - a total loss-. I have personally brought in two cars, A 4 Runner in 2000, duty exempt once I obtained my residency, and a second car, a 2006 Highlander Hybrid in 2011 also duty exempt under my wife's name this time since she also had her residency. So even if they had a car less than 5 years old, your friends would have to be prepared to pay a hefty import tax since they probably don't have their residency yet I would guess? Hope things go well!
Christiantoy

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hi belgiank,
Please tell your friends that the law on importing cars into the Dominican Rep. does not allow to import a car more than 5 years old going by year of fabrication not by date car was manufactured.In other words, we are now in 2014, minus 5 years brings us to 2009. Any model car manufactured for the 2009 year can be imported. Any car before 2009 the law does not allow, and your friends will have to possibly forfeit their car at the dock, - a total loss-. I have personally brought in two cars, A 4 Runner in 2000, duty exempt once I obtained my residency, and a second car, a 2006 Highlander Hybrid in 2011 also duty exempt under my wife's name this time since she also had her residency. So even if they had a car less than 5 years old, your friends would have to be prepared to pay a hefty import tax since they probably don't have their residency yet I would guess? Hope things go well!
Christiantoy

I don't think this information is correct - the 5 years IS correct, but it is calculated to expire the June following the 5th year. In other words, someone with a 2008 has until June of 2014 to bring in their car.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
A Freelander will not fare well here. Great and capable car but British, not Japanese..........