"Starting young?" Thoughts of living in DR...

J

Justin

I don't believe this is a subject that has been talked about much on this board. Probably because the majority of the posters are a little older.

I would like to know what everyone thinks about a young person coming to live in the DR. I haven't made any decision to come and live there yet, but have been considering the pros and cons of trying to get by in the DR.

For anyone who doesn't know, I've been posting and reading on this board for almost a year now. I'm not some kid who took a trip to a Punta Cana all-inclusive hotel and decided I want to live there. I'm a 20 yr old Minnesotan. I've been to various parts of the DR on three different trips. I am Spanish-speaking. I went to college for a year.(No Degree yet) And I am extremely tired of Minnesota. I have lived here all 20 yrs, and I still can't get used to the cold.

I am aware of the corruption, the lies, the scams, and general lack of trust associated with the DR. I am also aware of the fact that these problems can be twice as hard for a young foreigner like myself. Aun asi, I have thought this out for the last year, and am seriously considering living there. I am working two jobs right now, and living rent-free with my parents. My goal is to save up a decent sum of money, come down to the DR, and HIDE EVERY LAST PENNY! hehe! I'm no sucker. I have a pretty good idea about the cost of living, so I am figuring to bring enough for a year's worth of rent/food, plus a little extra. I believe that within a year, I could find some way to earn some money. If not, I'll get on a plane and go home. I realize there are many more things to consider, but this is my basic idea.

As for my reasons for wanting to come to the DR, its difficult to explain. No, its not a girl, even though there is a great one waiting for me. I pretty much love what many people dislike about the DR. I love the fact that there is loud music everywhere you go. The "odd" comfort that comes with disorganization, unprofessionalism, and general chaos.(mind you, these are extreme generalizations) and most of all, "EL CALOR!"
God bless all Carribean islands!

Anyways, I'm a young, level-headed guy who has always done things a little differently, and coincidentally been happy.

I would love to hear comments from everyone!

Thanks, Justin

M

massei

The DR is a beautiful place to live, I have been travelling there for over two years and lived there for a few months, I am from Thunder Bay, and I totally understand about not getting used to the cold, it is good that you are in school, finish that first then go off and try out the DR to live, it is better to do and regret than to regret not to do. I am 23 and am trying to go back January to live again for a while in Puerto Plata, best of luck to you, but the best thing is finish school first!!! massei

D

DR1

*** Just Do It! ***

I went to live in Brazil at 21 and never looked back...

Rob.

J

John

Massei, you are from Thunder Bay? Hahaha, I was there once and I TRULY understand why you left! And I was there in the summertime...

Justin, I agree with DR1: DO IT!!! Finish school, get you degree and then just go! I am 45 and not until now am I considering a move like that. The first time I had the guts to leave Sweden for work elsewhere was 1996, the year I turned 40. I feel I have waste so much time, missed out on so many opportunities... But you are young, you can afford to try things out, meet people, learn from your own and others experiences. But Justin, one piece of advise, wait a while with getting hooked up to a lady, having kids and stuff. There is plenty of time for that! Believe me! Remember that old saying: "Go west, young man!" Well, I say to you: "Go south, young man!"

E

Elvis

Yo Justin!

I've been postin' an' readin' stuff on DR1 2 months now.
Know what??? I'm gonna go an' live there 2!!!
I'm 24 from Albania, English teacher (degree in English). I mean, got no many things to lose, but never been abroad to work before. So, it could harm my savings, distance is 2 long 2.
But I decided to leave all, with the difference that, in case I fail, would be no-that-good "welcome home my boy", no cheap-fly rates waiting for me, and the girl waiting for me lives in Albania...

I'm settin' off next week, Thursday 15, I think, in Santo Domingo. Hoo more than me is lookin' 4 frienz 2 talk, help, work, share rooms and others?

You did the good choice, though it is me that should have asked a guy like you on this topic. An' remember, we love our lives in the same levels...

Drop me a line, man. See u.

Truly,
Elvis

D

DW

At your age you have nothing to lose. 20 yrs. old is the best time for adventure. You might even avoid a mid-life crisis later on. Just don't burn your bridges and never say never. Good luck!

S

Stephen Hadley

I gotta hop in and say finish school first, then DO IT...

if you dont finish shool, you will be burning some bridges

R

Richard

I would say. Go for it! Nothing ventured nothing gained. I did several years ago and only wish I had done it when I was younger.

J

Justin

Burning bridges...................

Speaking of burning bridges, I have mentioned this idea of moving to my 2 best friends. They basically told me to do what I gotta do, but that it would cause a lot of hard feelings on their part.

I have tried to ignore that comment of theirs, because I believe eventually they will understand that I have to live my own life. Everyone has to live their own life. They just aren't ready for the idea of everyone having a life of their own, and not hanging out every Friday night. It'll be different.

As for school, I have many mixed thoughts on the subject. I have been considering finishing here in MN, or maybe studying in Santo Domingo. Is it possible for me to study in the DR without it being a "study-abroad?" ....more like I'm just another Dominican student or something like that.

Thanks for all the responses so far. They are much appreciated.

Thanks all, Justin

S

stela

Re: *** Just Do It! ***

Rob, quanto tempo voce morou no Brazil? Eu sou do Espitito Santo
mas morei no Rio de Janeiro por muitos anos. qual e o Estado que voce morou?.
Ciao....stela

D

DR1

Meu portugu?s ? muito mau...

I lived in Brazil for 6 months, primarily playing Capoeria.

The Fernando Color government forced me to leave when they closed all the banks for seven days.
All of a sudden my US$ meant nothing :-(

Spent most of my time between Rio and Recife.

Great country with fantastic people!

T

Thomas robert

Come on down. And I mean now! The "stay in school" is just a nice piece of "wisdom",like "have a nice day".REAL FRIENDS WOULD SUPPORT YOU! They are being selfish.If you are coming and plan to live-in with your "girlfriend" you might want to re-evaluarte why you are coming.Is it the hot sex in the DR. or the cold winters in Mn.? tommy

P

Prof. Tiberius Mineola

Re: Earning a living??

After 5 years living here, I think that some of your focus should be on the financial. The DR is a great place to live IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO EARN A LIVING. At your age, I don't think that you have much to lose. If you don't have much to lose; ir you have enough $ for 1, 2 years, it should be a memmorable experiment - even if it doesn't work out. Suggestion: look into a job with the US Gov't. Most USA gov't jobs pay well; if you can wangle an assignment to th DR, you may have th e best of both worlds for a few years. Persevere! Buena Suerte!

M

massei

I think it is better to finish school there not in DR, just because if you ever decide to move elsewhere it may not count... example, my father went and received his electrician diploma in Italy, when he came to Canada, it did not count. He had to upgrade here and they didn't even look at his education from there, and the education in Europe is more advanced than Canada, and it is alot harder, but that is my opinion to finish first, but good luck with what ever you decide!! massei

K

Kim

Hi Justin,

Go for it, as everyone else has said. You have nothing to lose at the end of the day. But I would say get your degree first. You never know when it will come in handy. It would be an experience you will never forget, I'm sure. I am 29 (female) and I want to go to the DR for 6 months and just chill. I am from England, where I have just had enough. I am basically doing what your doing, saving hard. The situation with your friends, you have to live your own life at the end of the day. I am quite prepared to go to DR on my own for 6 months, if my friend decides she doesn't want to do it anymore. Nothing is going to change my mind!! I hope things work out for you, just do it, we only have '1' life to live.

S

Squat

Sounds like fun, I am now 28, and came down in the islands when I was 19... It's been great, lot of adventure, lot of love and also lot os work to survive... I am now a legal resident in DR, but I don't make a lot of money, even though I run my own business... Hey, just come down here, give it a try, and you'll see...

K

Keith R

Re: Acho que seu portugu?s n?o ? mau

Rob, voc? s?mente precisa practicar mais, 't?? O Rio e Recife s?o duas cidades preciosas, mas acho Vitoria ? muito boa tamb?m. N?o t?o grande, mas boa. Ai, falando disso, tenho tanta saudade do meu Brasil! :-/
Um abra?o,
Keith

J

Joe Boone

Consider the Peace Corps

I've spent lots of time in the DR over the last 4 years and have met lots of Kids (18 -25) serving in the Peace Corps and they all love it. For the most part, they live like Dominicans and work hard, but it would be very rewarding (not financially). Regarding working two jobs, saving money, etc. That's all fine, but it won't take long to go through a few thousand dollars, with nothing coming in. You mentioned that you have a Girl waiting for you. If she is tipica, there goes your money. Although there are exceptions (Mi esposa), the average Girl down there will need something every day, either for herself or her family.
She is incapable of understanding that you are not rich.

You said that you are "Spanish Speaking", consider finding a nice family in, or near a small town and move in with them. Give them
$50 per week and they will feed you, wash your clothes, and keep
you out of trouble, maybe even let you borrow the Donkey on the weekends. This all sounds crazy, but what the heck, you're young. Like Rob said, JUST DO IT.

You'll find some info about the Peace Corps in the DR at the link below. Enjoy.

N

Nicole

justin....... ironically reading your message... was as though i was reading a message that i would've posted.... truthfully my situation is quite similar to yours.....
i too am young (19yrs old) and i have made a few visits to the "non-tourist areas" of the DR and have fallen in love with the country... and like you, i am aware of the scams etc... i too am currently working two jobs in order to accumulate "dinero."
i also have someone that i met, and is waiting for me there in the DR, and he isn't completely the primary reason that for my return... but he's a an added bonus.... (before i even met him i was making plans to return...) i am now making plans to go back to live there for at least a year, and likewise if i cannot find some means of employment i will hop back on the plane and head back to good ol' ohio... i can't stand the cold either!!!! but i have a feeling everything will be fine....and yet another irony.... my brother's name is justin....hmmmmmm...interesting...
sooo after saying all that... what's my thoughts on your plans...... "just do it!"
~nikki