If Someone Wants to Rob You - I Say Just Let Them!

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
On my plane ride home yesterday I was sitting next to someone on the plane who was telling me how a guy from one of the 'Mission's' in Cabarete was robbed last week. The perp's apparently were running away and then he chased them and hit one with a club and was then shot and killed. This is all second hand information. My thought is that if I were in a situation like that and was being robbed - I was just give up my stuff.... Does anyone know if this was the same person mentioned in the other thread who was involved in drugs or was this just a straight up robbery?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I am behind the 8 ball on this one and the other one. I just finished reading the thread on the Sosua Rental Service guy - will read this one now. I can't believe I was in Sosua with this stuff going on and didn't learn of anything until days before coming home and while in transit.

It was not my intention to be insensitive with this post - it is so sad when anyone is hurt or killed and no one has the right to rob another. I just think though if someone wants to rob you - just give up what you have....

I am so glad he is not dead and according to this thread should survive.

It's so sad that these bad guys were apparently running away and defending himself got him shot - I still say its better just to give in. Sorry if I offended you Olly.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
He was pursuing the perps while they were running? That was a big mistake! He's so lucky to be alive.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Well an hour later just read the whole 15 page thread and watched the video. Soooo sad - I say if being robbed, not a good idea to fight - I say if protecting 26 school children, game on. donatetoles The whole story with the ability to donate.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Absolutely! Let them take what they want. They usually go for cell phones, computers, cameras, jewellery etc....Stuff that can be replaced.

A bullet in the brain is usually terminal.

Get your stuff insured if you're really attached to your personal possessions. I have a policy with Universal that covers my home contents to around $50K. Also covers theft. Premium is $137 a year!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
beeza,
In your home incursion you lost much more than that in the end! But you gained something too!

Olly and the Team

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Pastor of our church got rob week ago and he did a smart thing.
A guy on a bike stopped next to him at the light and asked for a cellphone and a key for his car while loading a gun. Pastor gave him hs cellphone and the key and walked away live. I'd say he was lucky that he didn't ask for his wallet. Its one less thing to replace.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Pastor of our church got rob week ago and he did a smart thing.
A guy on a bike stopped next to him at the light and asked for a cellphone and a key for his car while loading a gun. Pastor gave him hs cellphone and the key and walked away live. I'd say he was lucky that he didn't ask for his wallet. Its one less thing to replace.

I think that car robberies have been on a steady rise, specially in Santiago. My neighbors Suzuki pickup was stolen about 3 weeks ago in Los Jardines.

Did anyone read the article in Listin Diario about how 70% of those arrested by the police are released? It's extremely sad. I spoke to a professor friend at the university (UTESA) and asked him to explain how these guys are able to get out so quickly. He says most of the times the Ministerio Publico lets them go because they know that the judge is gonna let them go. Lack of proof, or basically, the way they define "proof" is the problem. One of the main problems with the high crime rate is because of this. Supposedly, there are changes being made to the CPP (Codigo Procesal Penal) which is supposed to make it a lot harder for these assholes to walk scott free.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
The judge would not release these criminals for lack of proof if the police force would be more careful and competent at gathering evidence.

At a crime scene you see everyone walking around, touching, handling evidence with their bare hands, not properly bagging or sealing items which may contain fingerprints, etc.(I can go on and on) destroying evidence. A crime scene should be sealed and ONLY those who should be there such as
the chief investigator in charge of the case, medical examiner, etc.

So of course a judge will let these criminals walk many times because of the lack of proof.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
On my plane ride home yesterday I was sitting next to someone on the plane who was telling me how a guy from one of the 'Mission's' in Cabarete was robbed last week. The perp's apparently were running away and then he chased them and hit one with a club and was then shot and killed. This is all second hand information. My thought is that if I were in a situation like that and was being robbed - I was just give up my stuff.... Does anyone know if this was the same person mentioned in the other thread who was involved in drugs or was this just a straight up robbery?

Well, sometimes, you give up your stuffs, but you end up being killed anyway! I don't know, man! That is really bad!
The funny thing the guy is here to help out!

Last edited:

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
He was pursuing the perps while they were running? That was a big mistake! He's so lucky to be alive.

Well, pursuing a robber in a WILD WILD WEST? very bad, indeed!
But, you have to defend yourself sometimes! But, you have to know your territory! I hope he recovers, but it looks like Dr does not like GRINCOS to come and help! Why would people risk their lives to help out and then risk being killed on top on that?

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Well, pursuing a robber in a WILD WILD WEST? very bad, indeed!
But, you have to defend yourself sometimes! But, you have to know your territory! I hope he recovers, but it looks like Dr does not like GRINCOS to come and help! Why would people risk their lives to help out and then risk being killed on top on that?

Not everyone is suited to live in the DR. Think before you leap so there'll be no regrets or consequences is what I tell them.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
When it's a crime commited against a gringo by a Dominican there is know money to be made plain and simple , it is not worth their effort to put him in jail , a friend of mine was being poisoned by a Dominican woman , he had her put in jail but as soon as he stopped paying to keep her there they let her out , it's all about the money.

david_

Dec 8, 2012
The judge would not release these criminals for lack of proof if the police force would be more careful and competent at gathering evidence.

At a crime scene you see everyone walking around, touching, handling evidence with their bare hands, not properly bagging or sealing items which may contain fingerprints, etc.(I can go on and on) destroying evidence. A crime scene should be sealed and ONLY those who should be there such as
the chief investigator in charge of the case, medical examiner, etc.

So of course a judge will let these criminals walk many times because of the lack of proof.

Watching a little too much "CSI Santiago" I see.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Watching a little too much "CSI Santiago" I see.

Have you seen pictures in the newspaper of how the police just dump the body in the back of a pick up truck without bagging it properly? Maybe you should be watching "CSI Santiago" to educate yourself..

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
If someone has a weapon and you chase them with a stick perhaps you are a candidate for a Darwin award. Just offer a cop a hundred bucks and he will shoot the ladrone. Yeah you lose your stuff but it beats getting killed.