sometimes it's just one of those days...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
last night a family friend - so close he became family - had a motor accident. he was a passenger. it was on a curve, that's on a road to luperon. he saw the light of another motor approaching and just managed to jump off the bike when they crashed. i am not sure the bike he was on was stationary or just started. two other men involved died, one at night and the other one just few hours ago.

the friend broke his leg, in few places. he was operated just now. the whole family was in the hospital, as families do in here.

this day just sucks :(

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Sad. Sorry to hear it. Never get on a moto in this country. Drive the largest vehicle you can afford and only during daytime.

May 5, 2007
last night a family friend - so close he became family - had a motor accident. he was a passenger. it was on a curve, that's on a road to luperon. he saw the light of another motor approaching and just managed to jump off the bike when they crashed. i am not sure the bike he was on was stationary or just started. two other men involved died, one at night and the other one just few hours ago.

the friend broke his leg, in few places. he was operated just now. the whole family was in the hospital, as families do in here.

this day just sucks :(

Sorry to hear about your friend

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
]Sorry DV
I've hiked mountains, crossed deserts, Ive driven crazy, I've been drunk for days in African villages, I've done all sorts of weird stuff that I should not have survived,

I've done some s**t in my lifetime that you wouldn't believe,;

but I will not get on a motorbike with these any of these crazies nor ride a bike myself here.

And for all those 65 year old adolescents with their dream open pipe Harleys .... bleedin' grow up!

I'm truly sorry.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I am sorry to hear about your friend who is as close as family. i imagine it's a small comfort having a friend when in need. There but for the grace of god...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
my heartfelt sympathy, dv8. i once dated a lady from Mao whose brother and two friends were all killed on a Yamaha 100 by a drunk foreigner, driving on the wrong side of the road. i remember how we all felt at the time...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thank you all for kind words. i know that driving a bike here has its dangers but i also know most dominicans have little else in terms of transport and most never have any issues. it's just... difficult when it happens to someone you know and care. there were maybe 15 of us waiting outside sala de cirugia. family from SD, all of us from here...

no one involved had health insurance either.

and yeah, i feel all the better now i have a bigger car. my chances of survival in grand vitara are much better than in capa i had before. just two weeks ago when we went to see harleysrock picking up his car there was an accident on the bridge, just going out of POP. we saw the car and the whole front was smashed. but it did not look dramatically bad. only later i read in the newspaper the driver died (possibly no seat belt as he had injuries to the head, mainly).

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Hope your friend is getting the care he needs. Another good example of the importance of insurance despite the naysayers on this topic. Best regards.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the costs on the man who died on the spot will be covered by his employer, as i understand. decent thing to do. hospital bill of the friend will be met by family and friends. not sure about the other man who died.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I am wishing your close friend a speedy and complete recovery. I am happy to hear it wasnt worse.

drescape24

BrentG905

Jan 26, 2014
Sorry to hear that my friend, My girlfriend's friend was killed in a bus accident in July coming back from SD and her other friend died in a motorcycle accident in Higuey three months before that. I hate driving in DR, too many crazies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've just heard that one of the victims of the accident was a primo of our cleaning lady. his name was ivan. he was 25. just 2 months ago he became a father...