Caribbean, or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Hi.

Are Dominicans culturally similar to Jamaicans? I had some great experiences with people of Jamaican decent--in Latin American country, and am wondering if they are more Latin or more Caribbean. Hopes this makes sense.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It will be interesting to see the answers. I personally have no perspective on people from Jamaica, but I know some of the posters here do.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
You should ask The Gorgon. But I would say they have many things in common, while of course being very distinct.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The both live on islands in the Caribbean, That's all!
The Spanish screwed their slaves, the English didn't.
The people of both islands to this day reflect that.
Dominicans are a physically beautiful people, the Jamaicans????,....."Not So Much"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Hi.

Are Dominicans culturally similar to Jamaicans? I had some great experiences with people of Jamaican decent--in Latin American country, and am wondering if they are more Latin or more Caribbean. Hopes this makes sense.

Yes.

and No.

There is a great deal of similarities between all the Peoples of the Caribbean but there are distinct differences between them. The English, Spanish, Dutch and French islands all reflect the influences of their former Colonial owners. For the past few years I have split my vacation time between Jamaica and teh D.R. and I like both for different reasons. One of the things that these two nations have in common in particular is the fact that they both have significant labor presence throughout the Caribbean. There are Dominican and Jamaican guest workers throughout the region as evidenced by a trip to Sint Maarten where the airline desk clerk was Jamaican, the baggage handler Dominican, the taxi driver was from Granada but the hotel clerk was Jamaican and the bartender Dominican. Similar experiences in Aruba and Curacao and Miami.

I prefer the food in Jamaica. It's pretty much the same food because the same fruits and vegetables grow there and the same fish swim around the islands but that's where the similarity ends. Once it gets into the kitchen Jamaicans spice the 'ell out of it while Dominicans trend toward a more ulcer friendly bland diet. It's been mentioned that Jamaicans speak English and Dominicans speak Spanish but I have met many Jamaicans who speak English, Spanish and a bit of Papiamento. Jamaica was once a Spanish Colony. When the English got there they ran into a bit of resistance from a group of self declared free Blacks who had fought off the Spanish and gave the English more trouble than they could handle. They are the "Maroons" and the Crown settled on a "live and let live" policy after losing a few troops in search of a victory and settled for a compromise.

The general population is a bit better educated in Jamaica but their government is similar to that of the D.R. in that each and every official act is wrapped in layers and layers of red tape and money talks. The poverty is about the same in both countries but the U.S. has less of a visible interest in the economy and affairs of Jamaicans who identify much more readily with the English and are more likely to emigrate there given the opportunity. To speak properly in Jamaica is to speak the King's English and not American.

I will say this, the Jamaicans who I know who've travelled to the D.R. and the Dominicans I know who likewise spent time in Jamaica have exhibited a genuine affection for one another's culture and even incorporated some of it but Jamaica has more goats than dogs and the D.R. doesn't really seem to be as fond of the goat, prefering more pork in their diet than I have seen in Jamaica. Jamaica also has a noticable Chinese and Indian influence, being a former British Colony where the DR is mostly Taino, West African and Southern Europe in influence and heritage. There are direct cultural and religious and diplomatic ties between Jamaica and East African nations of Ethiopia (see Shashamane) and Kenya as well so the direct African roots are more celebrated there than in the D.R. which sees itself, for obvious reasons as more aligned with Latin America.

In my opinion they are both unique and I love both countries so much that sometimes only a flip of the coin or what airline has the best special to which island will determine my vacation destination.

As for that "most beautiful people" crack, both nations abound in beauty, neither one above the other, after all it's not a competition.

jamaica_miss_beauty_competition.jpg

Well, sometimes it is....LOL! and Brutha that ain't no weave.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is a shame the Dominicans don't share the love of spice in food with Jamaicans.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Just got back from a week in Jamaica with my Dominican better half. Second time for both. Last trip was all Negril, this one split between mobay and negril. I think most caribbean countries or cities share certain traits. More laid back. More of a live for today mentality. That includes places like Baranquilla.

I prefer the food in Jamaica but was absolutely sick of jerk chicken after the week. Ate wendys our last day there. New BBQ place in mobay was also a break from jerk chicken and pork. Beer in DR however is better.

My GF loved jamaica even if first trip she got ticked off when she bought a coconut off a street vender who ripped her off charging 5 bucks for a coconut. She was ****ed. I asked why. She said "he ripped me off because I am not from here". I said " baby I have been living in DR 12 years and that still happens to me all the time".

One thing I noticed this trip is even though I have been to some seedy places in DR in the past, I seemed to go to places in Jamaica I wouldn't go to if they were in DR. I am a picky eater and you won't find me eating at roadside stands or country shacks in DR. Went to three dives in Negril and it was a dump. Charming dump with nice view. Food was decent but didn't live up to the hype. Bourbon Beach had better jerk in Negril, and Scotchies in Mobay was the bomb.

Went to see Lee "scratch" perry at MXIII which was basically a yard with a rickety bar, no seats and a stage for live tunes. Had a blast. In Mobay we went to the Reggae Bar which is a dive upstairs from some stores. Huge cloud of ganja smoke as you walk in and most of the clientele looked like bad guys from Cop movies. Looks are deceiving and all were pretty cool. Bunch of wacky local characters etc.

These days my nightlife in DR usually involves places a bit more upscale than these even if in the past I would go pretty much any where.

We will have to head back soon. Jamaican consulate is just down the block from us and getting a visa has been straight forward each time.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
BTW, I agree with CCCCC that on average the Dominicanas win in the beauty dept. Maybe I am just not a fan of hair weaves in DR or jamaica. Much more prevalent in Jamaica, and seem to be of even worse quality. Girl could be a dime but with bad hair weave she becomes a 6. Rather see natural "bad hair" any day!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Just got back from a week in Jamaica with my Dominican better half. Second time for both. Last trip was all Negril, this one split between mobay and negril. I think most caribbean countries or cities share certain traits. More laid back. More of a live for today mentality. That includes places like Baranquilla.

I prefer the food in Jamaica but was absolutely sick of jerk chicken after the week. Ate wendys our last day there. New BBQ place in mobay was also a break from jerk chicken and pork. Beer in DR however is better.

My GF loved jamaica even if first trip she got ticked off when she bought a coconut off a street vender who ripped her off charging 5 bucks for a coconut. She was ****ed. I asked why. She said "he ripped me off because I am not from here". I said " baby I have been living in DR 12 years and that still happens to me all the time".

One thing I noticed this trip is even though I have been to some seedy places in DR in the past, I seemed to go to places in Jamaica I wouldn't go to if they were in DR. I am a picky eater and you won't find me eating at roadside stands or country shacks in DR. Went to three dives in Negril and it was a dump. Charming dump with nice view. Food was decent but didn't live up to the hype. Bourbon Beach had better jerk in Negril, and Scotchies in Mobay was the bomb.

Went to see Lee "scratch" perry at MXIII which was basically a yard with a rickety bar, no seats and a stage for live tunes. Had a blast. In Mobay we went to the Reggae Bar which is a dive upstairs from some stores. Huge cloud of ganja smoke as you walk in and most of the clientele looked like bad guys from Cop movies. Looks are deceiving and all were pretty cool. Bunch of wacky local characters etc.

These days my nightlife in DR usually involves places a bit more upscale than these even if in the past I would go pretty much any where.

We will have to head back soon. Jamaican consulate is just down the block from us and getting a visa has been straight forward each time.

glad to hear that you liked it. next time don't buy so much jerk chicken that you get sick of it. try the roast fish, or the oxtails, or the curry goat. better yet, try Jamaican Chinese food.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
I have a particular fondness for Jamaican women. The very first time in my life that I made love was with a 5ft 5inch , brown skinned, brown eyed Jamaican girl who was stationed with me at the the military base of Fort Sam Houston, Texas. Over the past two decades I've been intimately involved with a couple more Jamaican lady friends.
All the experiences were pleasant, though not overly serious.
When my last Jamaican lady friend who has never travelled outside of Jamaica and lives in a suburb of Kingston took me to her family's home, it didnt feel like a lamb coming home to the slaughter.
The family was genuine, down to earth and I still havent gotten asked for help with getting an Iphone or galaxy 3 yet :)

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Something Jamaicans and Dominicans share is a prohibition of shorts on grown men. Apparently stronger in JA. among the young fashion sense is quite similar and generally New Yorkish, flashy snap back hats, belts with wild buckles, perfectly clean white sneakers. There is something unique about the way JA girls wear those short tight shorts. Turns my head! I was a hippy type in my younger days and pretended I was a little rastafarian...I had dread locks at age 20. Not pretty!

JA is protestant. DR is catholic.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Something Jamaicans and Dominicans share is a prohibition of shorts on grown men. Apparently stronger in JA. among the young fashion sense is quite similar and generally New Yorkish, flashy snap back hats, belts with wild buckles, perfectly clean white sneakers. There is something unique about the way JA girls wear those short tight shorts. Turns my head! I was a hippy type in my younger days and pretended I was a little rastafarian...I had dread locks at age 20. Not pretty!

JA is protestant. DR is catholic.

those tight shorts are known as either "pum pum shorts" or "batty riders".

Status
Not open for further replies.