Salsa class

silkesmo

Jan 17, 2014
I need to expand my Dominican horizons and meet more people. Many people suggested that I take classes, but being that I have 2 bachelors degrees and a masters, I'm not really looking to go back to school, especially only to meet new people. I was thinking that I could brush up on my Salsa since it's been years since I took classes. I can do the basics, but maybe would like to learn the more intricate turns and such.

Does anyone know of any Salsa classes one can take here?

Also, any other groups or activities where one can meet intelligent non-gringo(absolutely no offense here) people.

Like I said, I am looking to in essence upgrade my current group of acquaintances whom I don't really have too much in common with.
------------------------> Hoping this stays on topic.
THANKS EVERYONE

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I don?t think a Salsa class is the best place to meet a lot of non gringos. locals learn how to dance from friends and family members.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
In Santo Domingo, check out the bar/club that is located where the La Atarazana street ends. Just walk that street towards the river and it is the club on the corner -- El Canario Patio Lounge. Address is La Atarazana No. 1. Understand they have salsa classes on Tuesday evenings. Go any night and find out.

silkesmo

Jan 17, 2014
I don?t think a Salsa class is the best place to meet a lot of non gringos. locals learn how to dance from friends and family members.

Yea, but sometimes when I am out I see a couple or two that really know how to dance salsa well. Everyone usually looks at them in awe. So i wonder where they learn. Youtube???

david_

Dec 8, 2012
Silkesmo, I might me a little late with this advice and maybe you've already tried this. But, why not start off with bachata and merengue? More popular in the DR than salsa. Trust me, if you can dance these, you will have all the friends you need.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
Soul free Dance School has 'Salsa Cubana Beginners' course every Wednesday at 4:00 PM at Mamajuana Caf? Sosua, El Batey. For more more about call Nina: 809 905 8311 (cabarete) Alfonso 809-4982105 (SOSUA)! Hope this helps!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Silkesmo, I might me a little late with this advice and maybe you've already tried this. But, why not start off with bachata and merengue? More popular in the DR than salsa. Trust me, if you can dance these, you will have all the friends you need.

He wants to meet locals! I think he has a better chance with Salsa than with Merengue or Bachata. Here you start dacing Merengue or Bachata by the time you?re 3 years old. It?s not common for locals to enroll in a class JUST for that.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Yea, but sometimes when I am out I see a couple or two that really know how to dance salsa well. Everyone usually looks at them in awe. So i wonder where they learn. Youtube???

Barrio people are usually among the best dancers. Do you really think that a poor barrio person is going to pay for Salsa or Merengue lessons? That would be considered a waste of money.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nearly all dominicans dance but it does not mean they all dance well. it's all about lots of practice and a natural talent. i've been to a bunch of weddings here and there is always some salsa but only once i have seen a couple who danced so well the others stopped to look at them: good looking woman around 50 and a fat man, at least 70. it is a myth that all dominicans possess dancing talents, it just seems so to us gringos because most of us cannot dance at all :)

anyways, if you want to meet the locals in POP i suggest churches rather than dancehalls. maybe volunteer or join the rotary club. start going to a local gym, like fausto.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
nearly all dominicans dance but it does not mean they all dance well. i

anyways, if you want to meet the locals in POP i suggest churches rather than dancehalls. maybe volunteer or join the rotary club. start going to a local gym, like fausto.

Exactly! For example, me? I suck at Salsa, but that doesn?t mean I?d pay for lessons. If I wanted to learn, I?d call a skilled friend or neighbor. I?m not trying to say that us locals are amazing dancers, what I?m saying is that when we get together, we are not like, "Hey let?s go to Salsa/merengue/bachata school". Paying for classes would be for something exotic, and most tropical rhythms are not.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
Alma Libre Dance School is offering Cuban Salsa for Beginners Monday 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. & Friday 5:30 to 6:30 at the Infiniti Blu Multipurpose room- Entrance -Heliport for more info contact Nina 809-905-8311 or the Infiniti Blue Office 571-2717, Hope this helps!

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I think this is mentioned already, but once you learned salsa who are you going to dance with here in DR !? I can do a bit of everything and I can tell you that you are far better off learning bachata and merengue first... (they are far easier too)