EDESUR and Protecom problems

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
So. . . . we moved to new place 3-4 months ago. Same air condicioners, fans fridge etc. Used to pay 3000-4000 pesos month for electric. Last 3 bills have been 12,000, 13,000 and 8,000. One girl at Edesur told us that another apt in our building used to pay 9,000 or so but since we moved here only pay 1,200 or so.

I leave the GF in charge of this as we had similar issue in the past and protecom helped us. This time she has had edesur here 3 times and they say all is fine. Big shocker. However last time protecom authorized changing the meter and it fixed the issue. This time they say they can't change meter unless it wasn't functioning. Makes no sense.

Today we had a retired Edesur guy here. He said we have a meter de "felix sanchez". Corre muy rapido. According to him they install those meters in areas they think the public will just pay the damn bill. lol

Has anyone heard of Protecom changing policies towards meter swaps?

There is no way we are using that much electric. We have same 3 AC that we have had for years. One in spare bedroom is rarely if eve turned on. One in my studio that only gets turned on when I am in the studio. The one in our bedroom gets used more frequently but lately we have been sleepng without it as it hasn't been all that hot.

When we lived in gazcue we went from 1200 per month to 3000, to 7000 to 10000 in 3 months. Once protecom ruled we didn't have to pay electric for months. . . . .lol.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
One AC used every night (10pm -8am) with a normal meter will get you a bill of around 8000RD. If you were using 3 ACs before with a bill of 1200RD thank your lucky stars that you had a "hacked" meter and never got caught. Lucky you!

12000 in the summer months with one AC is not unheard of either...

You are using that much electricity... problem is youre just being overcharged for it...we all are.

BTW, fines for getting caught with a hacked meter are usually no less than 30000RD....

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
One AC used every night (10pm -8am) with a normal meter will get you a bill of around 8000RD. If you were using 3 ACs before with a bill of 1200RD thank your lucky stars that you had a "hacked" meter and never got caught. Lucky you!

You are using that much electricity... problem is youre just being overcharged for it...we all are.

BTW, fines for getting caught with a hacked meter are usually no less than 30000RD....

Agreed, be quite now you were somehow or another getting free juice before, you can install your private meter at your box and measure your consumption yourself, if you then find a difference of more than say 20%, you may request your meter to be checked and calibrated, and they have to do it, there is a procedure to follow as anything, but my experiance with EDESUR, when rules & procedures are followed with a kind voice you can get things done.

Not always your doubt will be correct, but you will get your answer.

g'luck

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv

Never used three ACs. Don't use the one in bedroom even half the time. Two months we weren't even in the apt for 10 days of the month.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
One girl at Edesur told us that another apt in our building used to pay 9,000 or so but since we moved here only pay 1,200 or so.

Could it be that you and that other apt have meters crossed somehow? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen it happen.

Feb 7, 2007
Is the access to the meter free? (no locks, etc.)
If so, then it may happen that somebody will steal your meter. If such unfortunate situation happens, go to police station, file a report (you will need your meter number form last electric bill) and then go to EdeSur with that paper to request new meter. They will have to provide new meter free of charge. The person that has taken your meter will need to somehow dispose of it...but that is not your problem, right? :)

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Welcome to the south. You could always try burning tires in the middle of the road like everyone else does when they have a problem with the electricity.

Since I pay my bill every month, I take (probably too much) pleasure in calling Edesur every time my deep freeze starts thawing from going too long without electricity.

The response is always the same: "They are doing maintenance on the lines."
My response is always the same: "That's what was said last month and the month before that. Either you're lying or the people you hired to do maintenance are incompetent. My neighbors are collecting tires as we speak."

And every time, the electricity comes on within 30 minutes.