building material prices.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I'd like an idea of typical costs before i start buying, as a ballpark to avoid paying over todays prices.
Blocks per unit.
Cement per unit
Building sand per ton
Rebar per mtr.
Lintel for door/window per unit.

I have costs for huge quantities but i am only looking at building a garage/workshop.

Thanks.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I'd like an idea of typical costs before i start buying, as a ballpark to avoid paying over todays prices.
Blocks per unit. you do not ask what type of blocks or what size blocks, but most prolificly used blocks are 6"concrete, price range is from RD$23.5 to RD$27 each

Cement per unit depends on brand, We're paying RD$235.00 per bag of Cemento Cibao and RD$245.00 for titan, there are other cheaper, these are 2 good quality cements

Building sand per ton sand is not sold by the ton here, it is sold per meter3 and it is a special meter3, not specificlly 1m x 1m x 1m, price will range between RD$900.00 - RD$1,100.00 per m3
Rebar per mtr. you ask price per meter, if that was the case we would need to know what diameter and grade you are looking for, generally re-bar is sold per qq or mt, qq is around RD$2,200.00 and mt is around RD$48,000.00

Lintel for door/window per unit. what type of lintel? question too vague to have answer

I have costs for huge quantities but i am only looking at building a garage/workshop.

Thanks.

g'luck!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Thanks, but you've lost me on the re-bar prices, seems impossibly expensive.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Thanks, but you've lost me on the re-bar prices, seems impossibly expensive.

Welcome to the Dominican Republic ! A great many are lost on the re-bar prices. However, you have to figure the metal that exists in this country is imported, used, and recycled. Some recycled metals are remanufactured requiring expensive fuels for the ovens and equipment. The costs are passed on to the consumers.

Regards,

PJT

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We're building a block wall, here are the prices from our local ferreteria, directly from our receipt:

qq varilla [rebar] - 2240
6" blocks - 23
cascajo/gravel - 550 sq.mtr
arena/sand - 750 sq.mtr
alambre/wire to wrap rebar - 40/lb
portland cement - 750
Also 2 types of nails

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
How much rebar did you get for that price. Are you just using in foundation or in the actual wall itself.

Thanks.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Ovens are used for making bread
Melting steel requires a furnace

A 500 ton Basic Open Heath furnace on which I once worked burned 12,000 US Gallons of Bunker C an hour just to keep warm.
During the actual steel making only 4,000 US gallons of Bunker C were burned but we used 8,000 CFM of Oxygen at 225 PSI per hour.

DS

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How much rebar did you get for that price. Are you just using in foundation or in the actual wall itself.

Thanks.

Someone else will have to tell you what a qq measures, we got 12.5 of them, about 30,000 pesos just in rebar. It's in the foundation and the wall.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Rebar is sold by the quintal. A quintal is 100 kg weight wise. If you want a better idea 162 meters of 10 mm rebar will be approximately one quintal. 112 meters of 12 mm rebar....etc.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Rebar is sold by the quintal. A quintal is 100 kg weight wise. If you want a better idea 162 meters of 10 mm rebar will be approximately one quintal. 112 meters of 12 mm rebar....etc.

And so now clearer. Above poster paid RD2,200 for 1qq, which if 10mm would be 162 mtrs............
Mt is what exactly.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
One qq is 100 pounds not kilograms and mt is metric ton which is 1,000 kilograms or about 22.04 qq's

Steel products are sold around the world by weight, you can make conversions to square feet or lineal feet as such is the particular shape, but in the end all steel is sold by weight, end of story world standard.

g'luck

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
We're building a block wall, here are the prices from our local ferreteria, directly from our receipt:

qq varilla [rebar] - 2240 thats what I said!
6" blocks - 23 again, a repeat
cascajo/gravel - 550 sq.mtr which is it cascajo or gravel, they are 2 individual products, for casajo the price is about right, for gravel, for that price you must be next to a gravel pit in or near
San Cristobol very cheap

arena/sand - 750 sq.mtr near a pit or near SC
alambre/wire to wrap rebar - 40/lb going price
portland cement - 750 way out of line, big time
Also 2 types of nails

g'luck

Whats the thickness of the sand and gravel per sq. meter?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Has anyone done a small project similar. A basic cube workshop, 15x15ft. If so, how deep did you go with foundations. Any input is good input, even if you havent done a similar project but have some clue on how things get done here on such small projects. Sorry, not interested in foreign regulations or overkill, just how it gets done here.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Has anyone done a small project similar. A basic cube workshop, 15x15ft. If so, how deep did you go with foundations. Any input is good input, even if you havent done a similar project but have some clue on how things get done here on such small projects. Sorry, not interested in foreign regulations or overkill, just how it gets done here.

Generally speaking and in general practice, the foundation, or here called the "zapata" is placed about 60 cm deep, and usually about 40 cm wide x 15 - 20 cm thick with "congrejos" every 60 - 90 cm with either 4 or 6 each 3/8" diameter re-bars running laterally down through the "congrejos". With a vertical re-bar every meter or so to tie the "zapata" to the wall and each corner a series of anillos with 4 to 6 re-bars to re-enforce the verticle columns. In long walls, usually you will have a column evry 4 meters or so.

This in not civil engineering advice, this is what is typical construction, the increased or decreased amounts of re-bar and size and depth of "zapata" needs to take into consideration actual soil conditions, but more often than not determined by economics.

My advice is when in doubt, more steel is better than less.

g'luck

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I have noticed these re?nforced corners, but couldnt see how the blocks could be typically cornered with those in the way. I also notice they run long rebar right through the height of the wall, not only from foundations. Can you confirm this is necessary.

I have many more questions but one step at a time.

Thanks for the advice.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
HUG, for our block walls surrounding our property, there is rebar in the foundation, rebar in all the columns and in the center of each section of wall [between the columns] i see just one rebar sticking up, which goes from top to bottom, and is filled/surrounded with cement for extra strength.

We also just had a small detached outdoor bathroom built behind the house, it's only about 8'x8', and I see rebar sticking out of the tops of the walls. It will have a metal roof, so the rebar isn't there to support a cement roof.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as donluis says, when we had our wall (about 2.5 meters high) constricted the foundation was about knee deep (50-60 cm). the rebar was in columns, every 3-4 meters apart and also randomly in the blocks. there was more rebar in a horizontal column at the end of the wall. all this is because we way decide to raise the wall in the future so the construction had to be strong enough to support that.