Protest March For Sosua Hospital

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A large crowd of angry and indignant residents of Sos?a marched Wednesday February 12th through the streets of Charamicos, then through the streets of El Batey (tourist area) to end up at the helicopter field across Hispaniola Beach. The crowd carried all kinds of protest signs. For at least 20 years the residents of Sos?a have requested for such public hospital. Each time during election time presidential candidates promise that the hospital will be constructed. It is life-threatening that there is no public hospital in the area. In case of emergency (traffic accidents, heart attack, etc.) the victim has to be taken to the private clinic (CMC) or to the hospital in Puerto Plata. For an ambulance it takes almost 45 minutes to arrive at the hospital which is often too long in case of an emergency. Even in April 2012 former President Leonel Fern?ndez, during a visit to Sos?a, promised that the hospital would get there. With thousands of residents present, he cut with a pickaxe into the ground at the place where the new hospital was supposed to be build. Then again nothing happened and it appeared to be just an election promise. On the helicopter field Father Bernardo V?squez spoke to the crowd, telling them that it is a shame that every time before the elections promises are made. "We now want a hospital now and not tomorrow!" The pastors Bernardo V?squez and Benito Castillo called the crowd not to stop protesting. This is the beginning of the protests to stop the false promises and to start the construction of the hospital for the poor people of Sos?a. There will be many protest marches until there is a hospital.

PS: To see the photos: Sos?a-News

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Not sure how does the hierarchy of government system works here, but isn't the hospital a little bit of responsibility of the mayor of Sosua to follow up with the central government offices and chase up the funding and manage the project and so on !?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Not sure how does the hierarchy of government system works here, but isn't the hospital a little bit of responsibility of the mayor of Sosua to follow up with the central government offices and chase up the funding and manage the project and so on !?

No, local town mayors don't have anything to do with managing the projects of the national government.

What the mayor can do is to try to get the national government to follow through. Since the information on the protest and the photos were given to the Sosua News by the mayor's press officer (I left off the credit when pasting the article), it is evident that she is not sitting on the sidelines.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
I am curious, how far away is the closest public hospital from Sosua. ( I actually thought there was a public hospital there )

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
In case of emergency (traffic accidents, heart attack, etc.) the victim has to be taken to the private clinic (CMC) or to the hospital in Puerto Plata. For an ambulance it takes almost 45 minutes to arrive at the hospital which is often too long in case of an emergency.

I am curious, how far away is the closest public hospital from Sosua. ( I actually thought there was a public hospital there )

I guess you did not read any part of this thread?

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Read the thread, missed that part. Thank you for being so gracious in pointing out my error. I really appreciate that you did so without the slightest hint of sarcasm or condescension.

Aug 21, 2007
Funny. I watched the march pass. The kids in my iPad program acted as journalists and took photos. We saw no angry people in the large parade. It was peaceful. People carried signs. At the heliport in front of us there was a small presentation. No angry, violent response. It was all very civil. Orderly.

Who is quoted that it was angry? That journalist gives Dominicans a bad name.

Lindsey

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Funny. I watched the march pass. The kids in my iPad program acted as journalists and took photos. We saw no angry people in the large parade. It was peaceful. People carried signs. At the heliport in front of us there was a small presentation. No angry, violent response. It was all very civil. Orderly.

Lindsey
The photos didn't agree with the article's description. I agree. It appears that everyone behaved well. I witnessed much angrier mobs at the dinner table when growing up.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

Lindsey

I walk a portion of the march with a friend of mine. There was no anger in the crowd as far as mob mentality goes but I can tell you that the people involved are very angry with the government...a lot of talk about liars and how things never change. There was also a lot of hope.....

A hospital in Sosua would be a huge step forward.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
The construction with the land being cleared (yet again), the small construction shack being refurbished (yet again) and maybe even a load of block being delivered beginning January 2016. It will then all come to a screeching halt the day after the election only to be restarted January 2020.

Bob K