Thieves with hearts of gold

El Guapo

Apr 18, 2013
Although I feel like a real rube, I guess I should share the story of the unpleasantness I experienced today so that others might take a different tack.

I've been living on the north coast for about five months, and I've availed myself of guaguas and carros publicos countless times.

This morning I was waiting for a ride along the highway between Cabarete and Sosua when a guagua stopped for me. The problem was that the driver didn't want to take me to Sosua; he and his friends had other ideas. Robbery, that is.

This white vehicle was, or had been, a guagua at one time, so the only reason I should have been suspicious was that there were only four people on board including the driver. I thought I'd hit the jackpot. I wasn't going to have to sit next to a guy with a live chicken on his lap.

Anyway, in the end I found myself standing along a back road about 10 miles east of Cabarete. Minus my money, but no worse for the wear. In my better days, they would have had a fight on their hands. It's amazing I've lived as long as I have.

I'm not ashamed to say I was a bit worried, especially when they started looking for a side road. I figured either they were taking me away from the highway so it would take me longer to report the incident, or they were going to do something they didn't want anyone else to see.

Even when they opened the door and told me to get out, and one of them said, "Vaya con dios," I wasn't sure I wasn't going to take one in the back of the head. I didn't wave a fond farewell as they drove away, but I did notice there was no license plate.

I guess the money was well-spent for a valuable lesson learned. Make sure you know a public transportation vehicle is legitimate before you get in. But as I said, there was no reason to think anything was amiss with this guagua?it looked like so many others.

But here's the feel-good part of my story. They gave me 100 pesos. I'm guessing that was so I could catch a guagua. Who knew? Thieves with hearts of gold.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad you're ok. Thanks for posting this. I'll remember it when using guaguas

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
wow!! glad to hear you are ok.
it will make me think alot being getting on by myself. that day will come when ill have to go alone, but ill let as many of them pass untill i feel safe about one. we should never doubt our first thoughts. if it doesnt look right, wait for the next one .

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
your story made me laugh out loud, sorry! i am glad you display a certain air of positiveness despite this ordeal. s**t happens but you are ok and you can move on. and you still have a 100 pesos left, it's enough for a small fria ;)

before i switched to a car i traveled in a guagua many times. sometimes i would be the only passenger, even. i never had any issues and never felt unsafe going around in public transport. and if anything, live chickens made it more fun. i run fake guagua only once and the driver was simply ripping off the sindicalista rather than passengers. but such ride needs to be avoided. there has been instances when illegal drivers have been beaten up or even killed.

a quick tutorial how to recognize a legit guagua:
long distance guaguas will say the ruta on the top of the from window (puerto plata - rio san juan);
short distance guaguas will have a small board with ruta details, printed out, not handmade (ruta A, B, C, F);
drivers should have their ID displayed somewhere inside a guagua, usually it hangs from the mirror or is somewhere on a dashboard;
you should be able to see a tray/box with loose change next to the driver.

if you have any doubts just weave at them to go and wait for the next one.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
your story made me laugh out loud, sorry! i am glad you display a certain air of positiveness despite this ordeal. s**t happens but you are ok and you can move on. and you still have a 100 pesos left, it's enough for a small fria ;)

before i switched to a car i traveled in a guagua many times. sometimes i would be the only passenger, even. i never had any issues and never felt unsafe going around in public transport. and if anything, live chickens made it more fun. i run fake guagua only once and the driver was simply ripping off the sindicalista rather than passengers. but such ride needs to be avoided. there has been instances when illegal drivers have been beaten up or even killed.

a quick tutorial how to recognize a legit guagua:
long distance guaguas will say the ruta on the top of the from window (puerto plata - rio san juan);
short distance guaguas will have a small board with ruta details, printed out, not handmade (ruta A, B, C, F);
drivers should have their ID displayed somewhere inside a guagua, usually it hangs from the mirror or is somewhere on a dashboard;
you should be able to see a tray/box with loose change next to the driver.

if you have any doubts just weave at them to go and wait for the next one.

All that, but to be sure look for a number of passengers, a mixed group of men and women of various ages. Let it pass if it doesn't "feel" right.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
well guapo, thanks very much for posting this. So we are now aware of the trap...
and glad you are ok
I still cant beleive the 100 pesos story...
:)

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
This reminds me of a burglary we once had. We were all sleeping and didn?t feel a thing. Not even the dog barked! The burglar only took things from the living room.

When the Police came, one of the officers said it must have been someone who "cared" about us. lol

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I recently bought a look alike gua gua and people wave frantically at me as I pass. I've picked up hitch hikers all my life and have been tempted to collect a few of these folks and give them a bola, but haven't yet for fear of a real gua gua driver seeing me do so and give me a hard time about it.
Der Fish

Those guys are not joking around! I know someone who was threatened with a gun. They found out that he was transporting students for a fee, and two guys showed up at his house and told him to stop.

This guy was a student himself. As he had to travel to the university anyway, he decided to provide a service for other students from his same town. He wasn?t picking up passengers along the road!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You can't fool anyone, you just liked to bounce on the lap of strange young guys :rolleyes:

once i was going to sabaneta and the guagua was full but then there was a bunch of teens on the side of the road and the driver decided to take them in. all hot, slim, perky and juicy, 16-18 years old. he just squeezed them inside, on the lap on the passengers. i know i was not complaining.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Glad to hear you are OK.....new games everyday.....somebody has way to much time to think these scams up, however on the flip side maybe you were the "practice" run! Thanx for posting this, we should all be on our toes and follow our gut...was the100pesos from your wallet of was this practice day for the upcoming Dominican Republic Scam Olympics

ThunderPants

Feb 8, 2014
Not all criminals are bad people. Once my house got broken into by a gang of gay burglars ... they didn't steal anything ... they just rearranged the furniture

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
This is the second time in a short while I have heard someone getting ripped of by the 'suspect guagua'. A friend was traveling home from Cabarete to Sosua later in afternoon early evening and got into one, he said it kind of looked like an older guagua, and the guys said get in, so he did and was relieved of around $80US. He didn't get the 100 peso bonus.
Point of story, is BEWARE of anything suspicious......