CT Scan in Santo Domingo?????

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Can anyone tell me the best place to go for a CT scan of a head in Santo Domingo??

Construction accident today, Mr. AE hit in the head with a pick, split his forehead open, stitched locally but might need a CT scan.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Ouch! Hope he'll be ok. First place that popped into my head is Plaza de la Salud but never had a CT scan so can't be sure... Hopefully someone else will post soon.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
OMG! Sorry to hear that AE! Hope everything turns out all right. Keep us posted.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i think this place will have it: Quienes somos?

Thank you Dorota, Haina is closer to us, but good to know Clinica Abreu also does them tomorrow morning. We're going to see how he fares overnight. I placed a call to son's fiancee in USA, who's a Critical Care Physician, and caught her at the hospital. After talking to her, I'm a bit more relaxed, I now know exactly what to look for now in terms of symptoms requiring a CT scan.

We don't have DR medical insurance, but supposedly AARP Supplemental Insurance will reimburse us for any emergency medical care while we're here. Least of my concerns right now, thank God for credit cards.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Can anyone tell me the best place to go for a CT scan of a head in Santo Domingo??

Construction accident today, Mr. AE hit in the head with a pick, split his forehead open, stitched locally but might need a CT scan.

OMG, hope he's ok

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm sure it's nothing serious, but get him that scan anyway - better safe than sorry.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Thank you Dorota, Haina is closer to us, but good to know Clinica Abreu also does them tomorrow morning. We're going to see how he fares overnight. I placed a call to son's fiancee in USA, who's a Critical Care Physician, and caught her at the hospital. After talking to her, I'm a bit more relaxed, I now know exactly what to look for now in terms of symptoms requiring a CT scan.

one: get dominican health insurance when you can, especially if you want to spend more time in DR.
two: head injuries are notorious for being seemingly harmless. if mr AE displays any signs of distress, problems with concentration, bleeding from nose or ears, problems with balance and anything else that can be connected to neurological damage TAKE HIM TO THE HOSPITAL IMMEDIATELY.
three: the good part is that the head is pretty well protected after all. take it from me, i've had numerous concussions and head damage. i spit my skull open, embedded a brick in my forehead, got hit with sledges and skates, hit my head on stairs, walls, trees and various other objects.

in other words: it is worth doing a thorough check following any head injury but in reality most of it is just to be on a safe side. despite all my head injuries i am still fairly normal :)

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I'm sure it's nothing serious, but get him that scan anyway - better safe than sorry.

"Nothing serious" he got hit in the head with a pick. Its about 6 pounds of steel at the end of a wooden handle and it smacked him in the head. What is serious to you, if the head came off the shoulders?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
"Nothing serious" he got hit in the head with a pick. Its about 6 pounds of steel at the end of a wooden handle and it smacked him in the head. What is serious to you, if the head came off the shoulders?

you exaggerate. it's not like he got a pike swing in the head, "shining" style. we do not know how badly was he hit because AE did not put any pictures. tsk, tsk. not very considerate of her.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Read post 7 where the OP reports speaking to a critical care physician in the US who did not urge them to go immediately but to observe the patient.

The OP's husband was seen by a medical professional who stitched up the wound. If there had been any suspicion that it was more serious they would have taken him to Santo Domingo right there and then, don't you think?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Read post 7 where the OP reports speaking to a critical care physician in the US who did not urge them to go immediately but to observe the patient.

The OP's husband was seen by a medical professional who stitched up the wound. If there had been any suspicion that it was more serious they would have taken him to Santo Domingo right there and then, don't you think?

We have steel cables that are stabilizers for our windmill, they're hard to see sometimes. The pick ricocheted off the cable on an upward swing, and took most of the blow before hitting Mr. AE. Thank God, or he'd probably be dead. The cut is about 3" long. It seemed like gallons of blood were pouring down.

He was treated in a tiny public hospital about a block from our house, and I have to say I was impressed while there. They were professional, sterile, and according to Critical Care Physician in the US, they did everything right. Including a tetanus shot, first one of 3, antibiotics for 7 days, antibiotic cream, pain relievers. He has to go back in a week to remove stitches.

He's had no neurological symptoms, is taking it easy [for a change], and refused to go for a CT scan, which would have given me peace of mind. The area around the injury is tender, but he's dealing with it well.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we demand pictures!

not to worry, AE. head wounds always bleed a lot, there are lot of blood vessels there. anyone who ever cut their brow knows exactly what i'm talking about. i had my brow split open by a steel and glass door when a friend took me to a restaurant on my birthday ;) very neat.

back home, and especially back when i was a kid doctors would routinely perform x-ray for injuries like that. no CT scans back then. maybe a public hospital that is close to you can do at least that? it can also give you some peace of mind. tetanus shot is a norm for cuts like that in DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sorry to hear that the doctors at your local hospital are "Sterile"!
Maybe they can adopt??????
He's been married to you for "Centuries" he obviously has a very Hard Head!!!!
This is the DR, here we PAY people to get hit in the head, so we don't have to do anything ourselves.
To "Mr AE", "Milk" this for weeks!
"Mi Amor, mas Cafe con leche por favor".....etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AND, get that "Shot"!
Unless he's had one in the last 10 years.
And who can remember???

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
CEDIMAT - went for the same scan couple of years ago, very quick, very nice, quite cheap... Good luck and feel better !