What to expect moving to Santo Domingo

LosDueces

Feb 14, 2014
I'll be moving shortly to Herrera in the Dominican Republic where my father owns a entire apartment complex so I'll be living rent free. I was born here but shortly (2 years later) was moved to Texas... I'm 19 now and I want to know what to expect. Although I was born there I know nothing about it. The life style the people the culture the jobs. Etc. etc. I know that the DR is a third world country so I hope to maybe find a good job which I can use my English and American skills there. Although might I say I speak Spanish very fluently (Spanish was my first language) hopefully I can get sole tourist or hotel job. My life in Texas is very different right now. I have a truck. Can have anything really when I want it. I consider myself well off with my parents. But I know this is all soon to change because I'll be living alone in a third world country. So can anyone give me a run down on what to expect? Also do they have good weed? I heard the police down there is very corrupt and weed is highly looked down upon.. You can face many years in prison if caught with just a bit.. I would be smart about it by asking family and close friends only... Thanks again.

They have medieval quality prisons down here, modeled after the Sovjet Gulags back in the 50s. Keep on smoking drugs down here and you will find out if i am lying or not.

Btw your father is going to loose his apt complex since he need to pay the police letting you go. No i am not kidding.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Herrera???

That's where people get killed about every other weekend.

On the drugs...They can't be tough enough on that in my opinion, but every time I run in the park Las Praderas (not that at from Herrera) there's a bunch of guys smoking weed out in the open.

LosDueces

Feb 14, 2014
They have medieval quality prisons down here, modeled after the Sovjet Gulags back in the 50s. Keep on smoking drugs down here and you will find out if i am lying or not.

Btw your father is going to loose his apt complex since he need to pay the police letting you go. No i am not kidding.

Ok goddamn I guess weed is a little toooo taboo for the DR lol I guess I'll stick to alcohol... Now back on track to my main question

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I'll be moving shortly to Herrera in the Dominican Republic where my father owns a entire apartment complex so I'll be living rent free. I was born here but shortly (2 years later) was moved to Texas... I'm 19 now and I want to know what to expect. Although I was born there I know nothing about it. The life style the people the culture the jobs. Etc. etc. I know that the DR is a third world country so I hope to maybe find a good job which I can use my English and American skills there. Although might I say I speak Spanish very fluently (Spanish was my first language) hopefully I can get sole tourist or hotel job. My life in Texas is very different right now. I have a truck. Can have anything really when I want it. I consider myself well off with my parents. But I know this is all soon to change because I'll be living alone in a third world country. So can anyone give me a run down on what to expect? Also do they have good weed? I heard the police down there is very corrupt and weed is highly looked down upon.. You can face many years in prison if caught with just a bit.. I would be smart about it by asking family and close friends only... Thanks again.

Culture shock will set in a few minutes after leaving the plane. You'll realize youre not in Kansas anymore (or Texas in your case) before even leaving the airport. Even after 17 years in this country I still remember the first thing that impacted me about this country and it was the smell. Its like the first time you go to Times Square... that smell is imprinted on your brain forever.

Then you'll notice all the cars, people, motorcycles, the traffic is insane (i actually consider this a positive since im i drive like im on fire anyways). Then you'll notice the streets, some are clean, but most are dirty and have piles of trash every few corners. Between those corners youll see the saving grace of this country, the girlas...usually in something tight or short...and theyre all over the place...thankfully.

After about an hour of driving chaos and almost wrecking at least a couple times you will make it to your apartment in Herrera. Herrera btw is not a safe neighborhood. You might be alright on Isabela Aguiar (sp?) (during the day), anything farther in ups your chances of being robbed, mugged, murdered....

On the flip side, there are countless small time dealers in Herrera so I guess thats a plus for you. Do not expect anything of quality...

Yes weed is looked down upon here but that doesnt mean its not easy to find. Id say about half of the young people in this country are into some drug...whether it be weed or coke or pills... DO NOT have drugs on you out in public...that goes well for any country but you will get caught here if you get stupid. If you are caught pull out cash immediately. Lots and lots of cash especially if its one of the harder drugs.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
No prob anytime man.

When i first moved here i thought i was a tough guy. Thought i had everything figured out (why not i was 21 yrs old lol). Youll quickly realize the DR is a different beast and you dont know jack.

Being from the u.s. means only one thing here, youre a cash machine. Be wary of 'friends' or people that want to help you out, especially if its with something illicit. Always have your guard up and after a few years you might be able to tell the good ones from the bad ones. Be careful though, theyre great actors and will put up a convincing charade for years.

One piece of advice; the further you stay away from the hard stuff, the less bs youll have.

LosDueces

Feb 14, 2014
No prob anytime man.

When i first moved here i thought i was a tough guy. Thought i had everything figured out (why not i was 21 yrs old lol). Youll quickly realize the DR is a different beast and you dont know jack.

Being from the u.s. means only one thing here, youre a cash machine. Be wary of 'friends' or people that want to help you out, especially if its with something illicit. Always have your guard up and after a few years you might be able to tell the good ones from the bad ones. Be careful though, theyre great actors and will put up a convincing charade for years.

One piece of advice; the further you stay away from the hard stuff, the less bs youll have.

Haha thanks XD to be honest I just plan on drinking a lot. Maybe a joint once in a blue moon if I can safely find it.. That being said your right about the cash machine thing, my dad said the same thing... "Once the girls find out your dad owns this building... And they know you lived in the states for most of your life there gonna try to be on you 24/7 hahahahaha... Even though it's a bad neighborhood I plan on socializing a lot and trying to get to know the people.. My dad said my particular section of Herrera isn't to bad.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Herrera... welcome to the projects baby! :)

In Herrera you will find everything you're looking for and maybe a few things you wasn't.

Enjoy!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

You are in for culture shock. If you have to work for a hotel than you will be shocked by the low low salary compared to the US. Why are you moving back to the DR? If you were moving to manage the apartment complex and making a decent living I would say go for it but the way you are describing it the transition could be difficult. Used vehicles are about 30% or more higher than in the US. Having an apartment rent free is a major plus but it is not cheap to live in the DR. Scoring pot should not be high, excuse the pun, on the priority list. Many times this is the quickest way to trouble in a third world country. Be careful you are not in Kansas, or in your case, Texas any more.

LTSTeve

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Looking for a job? good luck...I live in santo domingo and am shocked at the lack of jobs for intelligent, hard working, motivated young adults in the RD The jobs that do exist pay $200 to $500 per month and the cost of living here is more or less the same as in Texas. Social services dont really exist here so you cant expect to get social security disablity or unemployment for the fake back injury ..or medicaid to pay for your health care. Getting involved with the low life weed crowd down here... not a good long term idea for a 19yo.

LosDueces

Feb 14, 2014
Ok I get it guys. MARIJUIANA is a No No... Ok I hope I can get some wifi down there at least XD

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Weed is a NO NO in Texas but you can still get your hands on it right??? Well DR is the same way no different. Dominicans sell EVERYTHING under the sun and weed is NO different. Just be very careful who you talk among in DR PLEASE!!!! Unlike in Texas there are a lot of men in DR that will sell you out for pennies.

If I were you I would keep everything a HI and BYE for the 1st couple of months maybe even 6 months to be on the safe side before I befriend ANYONE in DR no matter if they are tourists, expats, Dominicans or Haitians. You will learn very fast just because guys are from the USA or lived in the USA does not mean that have the same mindset in DR. People in DR can be very very SHADDY!!!

Otherwise this will be good for you at 19 yrs old to live outside the USA, and by any reason you will return to Texas or the USA you will appreciate many LUXURIES awarded to people living in the USA.

Santo Domingo is cool just watch who you talk to and befriend no matter who they are because you will get a million people telling you who and where you should hangout and who and where you should avoid.

LosDueces

Feb 14, 2014
Weed is a NO NO in Texas but you can still get your hands on it right??? Well DR is the same way no different. Dominicans sell EVERYTHING under the sun and weed is NO different. Just be very careful who you talk among in DR PLEASE!!!! Unlike in Texas there are a lot of men in DR that will sell you out for pennies.

If I were you I would keep everything a HI and BYE for the 1st couple of months maybe even 6 months to be on the safe side before I befriend ANYONE in DR no matter if they are tourists, expats, Dominicans or Haitians. You will learn very fast just because guys are from the USA or lived in the USA does not mean that have the same mindset in DR. People in DR can be very very SHADDY!!!

Otherwise this will be good for you at 19 yrs old to live outside the USA, and by any reason you will return to Texas or the USA you will appreciate many LUXURIES awarded to people living in the USA.

Santo Domingo is cool just watch who you talk to and befriend no matter who they are because you will get a million people telling you who and where you should hangout and who and where you should avoid.

Thanks a lot very informative positive post.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
One thing Los D I do not know if you play ball, but playing basketball at the random courts in DR is a nice way to meet a lot of guys MUCH MUCH better then sitting or standing around some bodega. The great thing about DR is you can ALWAYS find a "pick up game" 24/7 365 as long as no rain is pounding the streets.

I can't tell you the amount of people I met in DR just playing basketball children, men and women. Dominicans in DR LOVE IT when you do something so much better then everyone else.

Back in around 2005 when I was much younger LOL I was playing in SD Este and after we played a game ands guys where talking I jump up and grabbed the rim, now I am about 5'9 5'10 with shoes and the look on all of their faces when I jumped you would have thought I was Batman or somebody LOL!!! There were guys much taller then me that could not grab the rim and I thought wow!! and I told them I knew guys back in Chicago 5'6 5'7 5'8 that can DUNK a basketball. I then realize that day Dominicans do not like to jump high.

I will never tell another man what he should or shouldn't do but find something you do well better then any other guy in DR and you will have no problem fitting in DR, but don't be the guy who smoke the best weed LOL because I knew a lot of them in my days.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
No Doubt!!!! man its my pleasure a lot of the posters on here are much older then 19 yrs old LOL but they mean well.

Good luck man

LosDueces

Feb 14, 2014
What are the ladies like down there? What type of game do I need to have so to say? I really hope I don't get played as a fool LOL

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Haha thanks XD to be honest I just plan on drinking a lot. Maybe a joint once in a blue moon if I can safely find it.. That being said your right about the cash machine thing, my dad said the same thing... "Once the girls find out your dad owns this building... And they know you lived in the states for most of your life there gonna try to be on you 24/7 hahahahaha... Even though it's a bad neighborhood I plan on socializing a lot and trying to get to know the people.. My dad said my particular section of Herrera isn't to bad.

Sounds like you are very ambitious and possess comprehensive life goals. "Plan on drinking a lot, smoking some weed and socializing a lot".
You would no doubt be a great employee or business partner.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Sounds like you are very ambitious and possess comprehensive life goals. "Plan on drinking a lot, smoking some weed and socializing a lot".
You would no doubt be a great employee or business partner.

The boy is 19 yr old !!!!!!!!!!