being processed as a dominican, what well i receive?

AtomicPhil

Feb 6, 2012
A, A
hi guys, i finally made that push to get my dual nationality on becoming a dominican citizen, what well i receive once the process is done? few other questions in mind.

1. with a cedula id card may i use a family members home address ?
2. passport when am i allowed to get one and may i bring a separate photos or do i use the ones they took
to do my dual citizenship process?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
the biggest question first is do you have Dominican Residency? it's sounds not to be the case and from my understanding that is the first step. You will get a Cedula when and/or if your residency is approved; citizenship is an entirely different subject all together. Under changes made last Aug 2013 you have to apply for a Residency Visa at a Dominican Consulate in YOUR OWN COUNTRY and provide criminal, financial, health info for them to approve a Residency Visa that is good for two months. Within that two month period you must appear in the Dominican Republic to have fingerprints, lab work, drug screen, police records check and approval, etc.......then you have to wait - could be 6 months could be a year or more.
Once approved then the Board of Elections (JCE) will issue you a Temporary Residency Cedula. You then have to renew that yearly for 4 years to qualify for Permanent Residency. I suspect that once you have Permanent Residency you can then apply for citizenship.

AtomicPhil

Feb 6, 2012
A, A
hey karlheinz, i done it in the new york consulate, btw both my parents are from dominican republic so i get automatic dual citizenship. process for me would be 3 - 6 months as they said would be.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I got my dual citizenship about 10 years ago. When I got it I had my DR Passport the next day. Also received my US Passport back of course. I don't remember when I got that, but I think it was well before the end of the process.

My Cedula was good for 10 years. Things could be different now, but your lawyer should have that info.