Info.

N

Noelle

My son is working on a school report on The Dominican Republic. He needs to find out specific information on many areas related to the country. Two things he is having difficulty locating are:

1. What are the most common pets in the country?

2. What seasons do they have?

Any help would be appreciated.

P

Pib

Would the real Noelle please stand up!

I thought you were the other -and for DR1'ers the original- Noelle. Ok, now that I am here I'll try to be of some help.

Dogs are by far the most commom pets in DR, followed by cats. Some people, not many, have birds (parakeets, parrots, etc.). Some people have fish, some have exotic animals, that is not really commom though.

Seasons in DR? Verano e infierno (summer and hell). I don't see that we have seasons like in other areas of the planet. It's pretty much the same temperature throughout the year. But we have an assorment of seasons: Rain Season, Hurrican Season, Baseball Season, etc.

H

hillbilly

What she means is..

That since the Dominican Republic lies within the Tropics at 19? North latitude, we have very little real change in our average temps. There are some seasonal changes, but they are slight.
We have mango season, (summertime), tangerine season (wintertime), but they are not official!

Does this help any?

HB

S

Susanne

Re: What they meant is...

that the DR has a maritime tropical climate. This means that the weather is unpredictable and prone to change with very short notice because of the influence from the sea and the trade winds. A continental tropical climate would have made the weather patterns more regular, for instance with an easily identifiable rainy (monsoon) season. Not so in the DR.

In the DR the weather and climate varies considerably from year to year and from place to place. You can go by statistics and conclude that it is more likely to be wet around Puerto Plata in the months of December and January than in the middle of the summer. And that the opposite would be the case in Punta Cana. You can also be fairly certain that it will be warm all year around, Pib and Hillbilly are as always correct. Unless, of course, you are in the Dominican mountains - the highest in all the Caribbean - where you can have semi alpine conditions.

The mountains also influence the patterns of rainfall, making small areas of the country desertlike, whereas other parts are close to being regular rainforest.

If you want to see some statistics, please click on the link below. It goes to the Hispaniola site, choose climate in the menu.

Regards,
Susanne