water purification?

DRDYL

Feb 16, 2014
Alright, so i am new to this site, don't live in the DR but my fiancee does and i am thinking of moving there. I am looking into starting a business that uses a lot of water.

Is Dominican city water in Santo Domingo safe to drink after it has been boiled? What are some of you expats with businesses like restaurants doing for serving water to customers? My fiancee says she doesn't drink the stuff and i know has always gotten the purified water in the 5 gallon jugs for home.

I will have to do more research on water purification to see if there is something i could do at the water source (carbon filter i suppose would help but that's not purifying but will pull out chlorine taste) - I would just like to know what others are doing to get around this problem, if anything!

Thank You

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Carbon filters will not remove the pathogens. Reverse Osmosis is needed.

If you are coming here to work, reconsider your plan.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I hope so, i use it for my coffee!!!! Omg, I am just realising...... might switch to botteled for coffee....

DRDYL

Feb 16, 2014
hahahha! I would be coming there to be with my future wife, not to try to make a million. Although i certainly believe it would be possible seeing the need for certain goods/services in the country.

reverse osmosis - thanks ill look into that.

I guess i have a sensitive stomach because it seems like i get sick and i dont even drink the water. Brush my teeth yes but everything else in the home is always with Planeta Azul or whatever that purified water is.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I hope so, i use it for my coffee!!!! Omg, I am just realising...... might switch to botteled for coffee....

Are u kidding ? Bottled water for EVERYTHING. Teeth brushing, coffee making, washing vegs, even boiling pasta and spuds. Especially drinking water for pets. Why take a chance with tap water? Bottled here may not be perfect, but its is WAY safer than tap, and cheap. We had a tap sample analyzed by a lab a few years ago - unbelievably bad. Even my car-wash bar makes coffee with bottled water.

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
No one drinks tap water. Well, only those in really unfortunate financial situations.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Are u kidding ? Bottled water for EVERYTHING. Teeth brushing, coffee making, washing vegs, even boiling pasta and spuds. Especially drinking water for pets. Why take a chance with tap water? Bottled here may not be perfect, but its is WAY safer than tap, and cheap. We had a tap sample analyzed by a lab a few years ago - unbelievably bad. Even my car-wash bar makes coffee with bottled water.

I would LOVE to see those results if you kept a copy by any chance.

herbnallison

Nov 11, 2005
Tap water in Santo Domingo and any other public water source in the DR is contaminated. Don't do anything with it that you wouldn't do with raw sewage. I worked on the island for 4 years installing water purification systems in poor communities for an NPO. We always had the water tested in every community and it was always bad. In many communities it is unfit for even skin contact. Trust me on this. If you need a reliable source of large quantities of purified water you need a quality redundant system that is regularly & professionally maintained if you don't want to make yourself and others sick. Take a look at my old blog if you want more details, here's a page... Herb and Beth: 10/10/2004 - 10/17/2004

DRDYL

Feb 16, 2014
Tap water in Santo Domingo and any other public water source in the DR is contaminated. Don't do anything with it that you wouldn't do with raw sewage. I worked on the island for 4 years installing water purification systems in poor communities for an NPO. We always had the water tested in every community and it was always bad. In many communities it is unfit for even skin contact. Trust me on this. If you need a reliable source of large quantities of purified water you need a quality redundant system that is regularly & professionally maintained if you don't want to make yourself and others sick. Take a look at my old blog if you want more details, here's a page... Herb and Beth: 10/10/2004 - 10/17/2004

wow! Thanks for the reply, that was enough to convince me not to use it!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

You shouldn't use tap water for coffee! I do use it for cooking, but only for stuff that's going to be boiling for a long time.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
I also use my Hydrogen peroxide 35% for that.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We had our well water tested a couple of years ago, and it was remarkably good, so "it depends". If you're getting "street water" it's another story.

That being said, we use bottled water for everything except bathing. When making a salad of raw vegetables, we fill the sink with tap/well water and add a bit of cloro to it, and wash well the veggies well. Then we do a second bath with bottled water.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I would LOVE to see those results if you kept a copy by any chance.

At the request of:
It shows:
# It shows: # 1
Report corresponding to: February 14, 2008

TREATED ANALISIS MICROBIOLOGY OF WATER

Total Count TVC 4.4 x 102 UFC / Ml
Coliformes Total 9.2 N. M. P. / 100 Ml
Coliformes Fecales 5.1 N. M. P. / 100 Ml
Presence of Pseudomonas Absent

Classification: No apt for the human use, according to the norms of quality of the water.

ACCEPTED PARAMETROS

Composed Accepted Value
Total Count TVC <2.0 x 102 UFC / Ml
Coliformes Total <2.2 N. M. P. / 100 Ml
Coliformes Fecales <2.2 N. M. P. / 100 Ml
Pseudomonas Absents

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
If you're near the sea and the rain mostly comes from sea, make your roof a water catch, chloro the cistern occasionally, and run through first a sediment filter, then a carbon filter.

Non-peelable veggies can be washed with white vinegar or lime juice and water as well as chloro.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I guess i have a sensitive stomach because it seems like i get sick and i dont even drink the water. Brush my teeth yes but everything else in the home is always with Planeta Azul or whatever that purified water is.

first, let me address this. i assume your GF is not very rich so there are good chances she has no inversor and if she does, her fridge is not connected (if she has a fridge). that alone can cause lots of heath issues as the food is stored in incorrect temperature. dominicans are pretty much immune to the stuff and so are most of long term residents but newly arrived often go through lengthy period of stomach issues, parasites and so on. in addition to this the poorer the community the worse hygiene level. the food is contaminated, especially comida de calle and improperly stored produce purchased form a colmado.

question of the water... not only it depends on your location, as i hear that some communities in the mountains have fairly clean water, but it also depends on your private setup. again, the poorer community the worse water setup, with badly constructed cisterns, old and dirty tinacos and so on.

at our home we have a large cistern. every now and then we drop a pill of cloro inside. still, this is not suitable for drinking, i think. we use bottled water for drinking, making ice, teas, coffee machine and for bread. veggies are washed in tap water with a bit of vinegar. tap water for cooking anything else: pasta, soups, rice.

if you are thinking of opening a business that uses purified water this should not be an issue. cerveceria and rum makers use specially purified water for their product. the makers of water and ice do purification process as well, so does baldom and other food producers. it's probably only a question of money...

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
we use our own well water for everything except as drinking water, in 10 years no problems. we do sometimes, when we remember, use Purina to wash the salad.

Beach Pilot

Feb 22, 2011
A while back I contacted Clorox in the USA about how to make sure my 1000 gal. tank on the roof was sanitized for bathing. After some computations, I was told 32 oz. on a regular basis and the water should be OK. I live in Santiago. I have noticed no more itching after a shower. A small price to pay.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I throw my swiming pool chlorine tablets in cistern and in tinacoa..... dont know if it helps but.......

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Hahahahaha!! Well if u think about it , it does help a minimum cos my water flows through the tinacoa anyway to fill the pool ( which is often).....
Ok, not much......
But I have noticed that it killed off der fish......:laugh:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Today, coincidentally, was the day someone climbed down into the cistern to scrub it down. OMG, the dirty water that came out of there was appalling.

After reading about the chlorine tablets here last year, I bought some and threw them into one of the boxes we shipped down. Today I dug them out and popped one in the cistern and one in the tinaco. Like Malko, I'm not sure how much they'll help, but they make me feel better :laugh: