Danilo not running for re-election

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Dominican President Danilo Medina Will Not Seek Reelection in 2016

Dominican President Danilo Medina on Thursday ruled out running for a second four-year term in 2016 at a time when some officials of his government and leaders of his party are promoting his reelection.

“I have no interest in getting reelected,” said Medina during the inauguration of construction work on the Monte Grande dam in the southwestern province of Barahona.

The head of state said that what he wants is “to raise the living conditions of our people.”

“What I’m seeking in the Dominican Republic is for us to have men and women who have purchasing power,” he said.

“The only thing I’m looking for as compensation is when I return to my home and become an ordinary citizen, when I walk along the street, for people to say to me, ‘Thanks Danilo, because during your administration I raised my living conditions,’” said the president.

Government officials and leaders of the ruling Dominican Liberation Party are promoting the president’s reelection in different forums and around the country can be seen signs pushing the proposition.

Medina became president on Aug. 16, 2012.

The Dominican constitution bars the president from serving consecutive terms.

Source: hispanicallyspeakingnews.com

Since the constitution does not allow a consecutive term, why is his even newsworthy?

And who is next, LF returns?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
LF returns? Maybe his wife or maybe David Ortiz retires from the Red Sox and runs for President or maybe just for a Presidente.

Someone from the PLD will move into the slot that's for certain.

LTSteve

May 12, 2005
LF returns? Maybe his wife or maybe David Ortiz retires from the Red Sox and runs for President or maybe just for a Presidente.

Someone from the PLD will move into the slot that's for certain.

LTSteve

I am sure LF wants to be President again but most likely his wife will run. Who ever the PLD puts up will most likely win since the PRD is a mess.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't see mad hatter running for presidency. she keeps fairly low profile as a VP. and dominicans are not likely to vote for a woman. so far it looks like PLD will win, they have no competitors. unless PRD kicks out crybaby loser miguel and payaso del campo hipolito and comes out with a strong candidate capable of unifying the party again.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's newsworthy because when a president really wants to be re-elected, all he needs to do is change the constitution.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
If I got this right, presidents can run for 2 terms, not 3 and that was what LF wanted to change so he could run again.....Hipayasso ran and lost against LF in 2004 trying to win a second term.... and LF won in 2004 and 2008.......

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Do I have to be a citizen to run? If I do, will Donald Trump ask to see my Birth Certificate????? LOLOLOL

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It is a shame that Danilo says he doesn't want to run again. Maybe he knows something we don't. He is on the right track and another 4 years would certainly be a good move for the PLD and the country. He is probably getting tired of dealing with __sholes on a daily basis. I would too. It is a thankless task to take on.

LTSteve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If he actually wanted to run again, the "PLD" legislature would just change the DR Constitution, (AGAIN!!!!) to allow more than one consecutive turn.
The constitution here is not worth the paper it is written on.
The people have no say in it, they don't get a VOTE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
I am sure LF wants to be President again but most likely his wife will run. Who ever the PLD puts up will most likely win since the PRD is a mess.
i wouldnt mind seeing a women go for pres in the d.r but you know if she take that presidential seat LF is gonna be running the show from behind the scenes..as the first gentleman lol