Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Credit Card fraud still charged to us after BanReservas review

We have had a case of credit card fraud in the DR using a BanReservas Credit Card. Fraudulent charges were made, detected and protested to BanReservas. BanReservas ruled against us, saying the charges were made by us in places we never went to in Santiago. We were charged about 50,000 pesos over this and I doubt we will be able to recover it.

I recommend that everyone who now uses any credit card be extremely vigilant. I would never use an out of country credit card here and now it is worse. Even DR issued cares are being compromised. I believe it is the processing centers of Visa and Mastercard in the DR that have these criminals.

2. Likes Olly liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Rest assured Windeguy, e-currency is on its way

Thanks for the reminder !

4. Likes kenthedentman, Criss Colon liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely you can demand copies of the fraudulent vouchers and have the signature examined to prove it wasn't you who signed them?

I only use credit cards to make cash withdrawals at one bank. I then use that bank's debit card to withdraw from their branch ATM's.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Where were the charges made? Have you contacted the places the charges were made at? Maybe they can help you with the investigation.. I've seen MAGICAL things happen when stores come in with proof about things of this matter.

My aunt had a charge on a stolen credit card at Plaza Lama and they were able to go through the cameras, and find out exactly who made the charge with still shots and the fake signature they used to process it. The cashier was fired, the person who stole the CC was arrested, and the money was returned from Banco Popular.

7. Likes Black Dog, Olly, Frank the Tank liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    We have had a case of credit card fraud in the DR using a BanReservas Credit Card. Fraudulent charges were made, detected and protested to BanReservas. BanReservas ruled against us, saying the charges were made by us in places we never went to in Santiago. We were charged about 50,000 pesos over this and I doubt we will be able to recover it.

I recommend that everyone who now uses any credit card be extremely vigilant. I would never use an out of country credit card here and now it is worse. Even DR issued cares are being compromised. I believe it is the processing centers of Visa and Mastercard in the DR that have these criminals.
    I agree I used mine to pay baggage fee at the POP airport and by the time I landed in Jersey my bank was calling me someone used account info to buy software in Italy, lunch in California and a dating site in Virginia before they caught it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

do you have CC insurance? we do and so far all banking issues we had with banco popular were solved to our satisfaction. granted, we only had one case of fraudulent charges to the CC being made somewhere in the USA when miesposo was in DR but we also had stuff like ATM not giving out cash and so on. all solved.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    ... I would never use an out of country credit card here and now it is worse. Even DR issued cares are being compromised. I believe it is the processing centers of Visa and Mastercard in the DR that have these criminals.
    I don't understand this statement. You are much more likely to have fraudulent charges refunded by a US (or other First World bank) than a Dominican bank. I've been a victim of fraud on multiple occasions. Four times last year alone! Each time it took a single phone call to have it fixed. In most cases, the bank notified me of the potential fraud.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Winde has been around the block. If he cannot get the money refined no one can. Perhaps the situation is getting worse. In the past my US bank refunded my money right away. Not big numbers, 1500 US or so. Banco Popular on the other hand never refunded a single peso and its employees were in on the fraud. Betcha, its getting worse.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a US credit card here that has no foreign transaction surcharge, and it has been hit by fraud twice in eight months. The first time it got charged a few hundred dollars at Kenneth Cole and Hilfiger in Bavaro, and I've never been to Bavaro. I had to fill out and affidavit but got my money back. The second time my card stopped working, and I called in and they asked me if I had made some charge for $800 in the DR. I said no so they cancelled that card too.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Windeguy et Al ,
    We only use Scotia bank and only the ATMs inside their banks. Has worked well so far. THe whole ATM network seems to be compromised in the DR and individual machine can have "devices" inserted into them that have WiFi capability and bingo - not for you but for the thieves.

Olly and the Team

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast