Credit Card fraud still charged to us after BanReservas review

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We have had a case of credit card fraud in the DR using a BanReservas Credit Card. Fraudulent charges were made, detected and protested to BanReservas. BanReservas ruled against us, saying the charges were made by us in places we never went to in Santiago. We were charged about 50,000 pesos over this and I doubt we will be able to recover it.

I recommend that everyone who now uses any credit card be extremely vigilant. I would never use an out of country credit card here and now it is worse. Even DR issued cares are being compromised. I believe it is the processing centers of Visa and Mastercard in the DR that have these criminals.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Surely you can demand copies of the fraudulent vouchers and have the signature examined to prove it wasn't you who signed them?

I only use credit cards to make cash withdrawals at one bank. I then use that bank's debit card to withdraw from their branch ATM's.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Where were the charges made? Have you contacted the places the charges were made at? Maybe they can help you with the investigation.. I've seen MAGICAL things happen when stores come in with proof about things of this matter.

My aunt had a charge on a stolen credit card at Plaza Lama and they were able to go through the cameras, and find out exactly who made the charge with still shots and the fake signature they used to process it. The cashier was fired, the person who stole the CC was arrested, and the money was returned from Banco Popular.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
We have had a case of credit card fraud in the DR using a BanReservas Credit Card. Fraudulent charges were made, detected and protested to BanReservas. BanReservas ruled against us, saying the charges were made by us in places we never went to in Santiago. We were charged about 50,000 pesos over this and I doubt we will be able to recover it.

I recommend that everyone who now uses any credit card be extremely vigilant. I would never use an out of country credit card here and now it is worse. Even DR issued cares are being compromised. I believe it is the processing centers of Visa and Mastercard in the DR that have these criminals.

I agree I used mine to pay baggage fee at the POP airport and by the time I landed in Jersey my bank was calling me someone used account info to buy software in Italy, lunch in California and a dating site in Virginia before they caught it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
do you have CC insurance? we do and so far all banking issues we had with banco popular were solved to our satisfaction. granted, we only had one case of fraudulent charges to the CC being made somewhere in the USA when miesposo was in DR but we also had stuff like ATM not giving out cash and so on. all solved.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
... I would never use an out of country credit card here and now it is worse. Even DR issued cares are being compromised. I believe it is the processing centers of Visa and Mastercard in the DR that have these criminals.

I don't understand this statement. You are much more likely to have fraudulent charges refunded by a US (or other First World bank) than a Dominican bank. I've been a victim of fraud on multiple occasions. Four times last year alone! Each time it took a single phone call to have it fixed. In most cases, the bank notified me of the potential fraud.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Winde has been around the block. If he cannot get the money refined no one can. Perhaps the situation is getting worse. In the past my US bank refunded my money right away. Not big numbers, 1500 US or so. Banco Popular on the other hand never refunded a single peso and its employees were in on the fraud. Betcha, its getting worse.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I use a US credit card here that has no foreign transaction surcharge, and it has been hit by fraud twice in eight months. The first time it got charged a few hundred dollars at Kenneth Cole and Hilfiger in Bavaro, and I've never been to Bavaro. I had to fill out and affidavit but got my money back. The second time my card stopped working, and I called in and they asked me if I had made some charge for $800 in the DR. I said no so they cancelled that card too.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Windeguy et Al ,
We only use Scotia bank and only the ATMs inside their banks. Has worked well so far. THe whole ATM network seems to be compromised in the DR and individual machine can have "devices" inserted into them that have WiFi capability and bingo - not for you but for the thieves.

Olly and the Team

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
do you have CC insurance? we do and so far all banking issues we had with banco popular were solved to our satisfaction. granted, we only had one case of fraudulent charges to the CC being made somewhere in the USA when miesposo was in DR but we also had stuff like ATM not giving out cash and so on. all solved.

Yes the account has an "insurance" charged monthly to it. We will definitely take steps regarding the stores and the Supervisor of banking in the DR. Many of the charges, if not all, were made in Santiago when we were out of the DR and in the US.

I just spoke to another person while in town and she had similar things happen using her Banco Poplular card. They had refunded her money but then took it back from her and she is in the process of fighting that fight.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windeguy et Al ,
We only use Scotia bank and only the ATMs inside their banks. Has worked well so far. THe whole ATM network seems to be compromised in the DR and individual machine can have "devices" inserted into them that have WiFi capability and bingo - not for you but for the thieves.

Olly and the Team

This was not ATM fraud, it was credit card fraud at stores primarily in Santiago.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Winde has been around the block. If he cannot get the money refined no one can. Perhaps the situation is getting worse. In the past my US bank refunded my money right away. Not big numbers, 1500 US or so. Banco Popular on the other hand never refunded a single peso and its employees were in on the fraud. Betcha, its getting worse.

We are not done yet. Now we will go to the supervisor of banking in Santiago to see what can be done.

I do think the situation is getting worse since very few Dominican cards were hacked before, but there was an excellent chance of fraud for foreign cards. This is the second hacking of a card from a Dominican bank and I doubt we will get another one.

Good point made on the credit card insurance and its supposed requirement to protect against this type of occurrence. But I guess it is "Dominican" insurance in our case.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
We did. To ZERO. Now we just need E-Currency.

Can you imagine the amount of fraud coming to the DR with E-Currency?

I can picture it. You go into the bank and load your card with e-currency. You are walking down the street and you get your shoes shined. You go to pay the 12 year old shoeshine boy on his portable e-currency machine and someone has already emptied your card.....now you have one angry little shoeshine boy on your hands!! Oh boy!

The criminals will have all the e-cash and we will all be poor fighting with the banks trying to get our e-money back!!!

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
I have a credit card at Banco Popular - for years without problems.
They always call and ask if the payment is correct, especially if it is about a high amount or at a strange location. I can use the credit card outside the country too, however I have to inform the bank before I leave.
Twice somebody has cloned my credit card. Once they called from the bank asking if we were having dinner for 800 Euros in Spain… NOOOO - and my card was closed and I never paid the 800 Euros.
Another time they called and asked if I had just spend 300 US purchasing something over the internet and NOOOO - again my card was cancelled and I never paid the 300 US.
I never leave my credit card out of sight … I use it a lot and I have never had these problems you are talking about….Well, I NEVER cash from credit card machines…

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
By the way - there is a big difference having a CREDIT card or a DEBIT card. They look very much the same and some people having a debit card believe it is a credit card.
If they clone your DEBIT card it will be difficult for you to get the money back I understand. By using a debit card the money is gone from your account at the same moment you pay with the card…(or somebody else pay with your card…)
It is much more secure paying with a CREDIT card…

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In my past experience in the DR the US banks that issued my debit card returned the stolen money. The largest theft involved Banco Popular employees who worked with thieves in New Deli, India, of all places. It took a couple of days but it was a full refund. If it's correct that new blue tooth devices are able to read your card info it will be the end of cash at the machines. After one theft I asked the bank manager why he did not give the video of the thieves to the police. He said they did just that a number of times but the police in Sosua were not interested and did nothing. Organized crime?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have two DEBIT cards on two different banks in Boston.
BOTH have been "Cloned, one more than once, the last time for $1,500 US dollars, in France!!!
I got all the money back from both banks.
Same as a credit card!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC