question about shipping tank/boxes via awilda or similar

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I am buying all new fixtures for my house (hansgrohe, moen etc) that are fairly costly and heavy to ship, in total it's about 3500$ worth of fixtures and I was planning on sending them in a tank or box through awilda or a similar company. Does anyone know if this will be subject to review and tax be applied to what's inside?

This also includes a 1200$ steam generator unit that I am sending, I'm trying to figure out the best way to get these items here. They are available locally for about 80% markup so even if I was to send them through encargopaq with the 38% ITBIS and shipping costs it may still be cheaper.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Talk to Awilda... normally, their price is an 'all in/ landed' cost b-- tax paid.

They like to see the articles and then price it... call and explain your situation.
I have shipped almost everything without problems... as have my friends

Never a glitch at the dock .... weight means nothing to them.....

You're doing the right thing with the fixtures.... better and cheaper in US or Canada.

Just have your purchases shipped to Awilda, they can be paid for on arrival at your house if you cannot mail a check in advance

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Taxes will probably be 100% on these items. I did the same thing, but bought on Amazon.com and tried to keep each order under $200 to avoid taxes. My instant on gas water heater was over and it was dutied at 100% rate. Good Luck.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Taxes will probably be 100% on these items. I did the same thing, but bought on Amazon.com and tried to keep each order under $200 to avoid taxes. My instant on gas water heater was over and it was dutied at 100% rate. Good Luck.

This does NOT happen with mundanzas, their costs include the aduana.

We've shipped probably hundreds of boxes and 55-gallon drums over the years, never paid a penny of tax on anything. Last December we shipped 6 boxes and 2 drums together, arrived intact. Ten days later we sent a solitary box, arrived with different tape on it [brown, ours was clear] so it was opened, and a few things were missing - I can't really remember that happening before, but it's something to consider.

We usually put the valuable stuff at the bottom of the box/drum, and at the top we stick in used clothes we're giving away, it normally works. That last box was last-minute, and we lost some good electrical stuff. Nothing you can do about it if it happens.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Ok, so taxes are zero when you sneak it in. If you don't, then you would pay the full duty rate (which is available online.). I am cool with that.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012

So, if the heater was 300$ , you paid 300$ in tax? or 100% of the 38% ITBIS rate quoted? So approximately 120$ in tax?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Stoves, refrigerators, all in in tax free.....

you have nithing to worry about, your mudanza will payy all dock fees from the shipping fee you pay.

No need to overthink this