Moving company DR to Florida?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Could someone recommend a company theyve used to move from the DR to the U.S.?

The time has finally come to get the process started for our big move to the Florida..

I initially felt I would be able to sell all my possesions and then move but after much thought ive come to the conclusion that selling somethings will be extremely difficult for the simple reason that they are items that will be used until the last day we are here (beds, fridge, tvs, washer, etc.) so I have decided that finding a decent moving company will be my next best alternative.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what company is dependable or knows of a way I havent thought of so i might be able to sell everything off and then move it would be greatly appreciated.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'd start with Hispaniola Freight, Address: Avenida Gustavo Mejia Ricart, Santo Domingo.
Phone: 809-227-3939

No family or friends you could stay with for a bit after selling everything? Or an apart-hotel for a week or so?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A DR1er we knew sold everything in advance, we picked it up when he left.
Do you realize that you will have to wait for all the same things you need until the "Last Day" here in the DR, you will need from the "First Day" when you get to the USA?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
A DR1er we knew sold everything in advance, we picked it up when he left.
Do you realize that you will have to wait for all the same things you need until the "Last Day" here in the DR, you will need from the "First Day" when you get to the USA?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

well the first couple months we'll be staying with my parents (ugh) until i can get on my feet again so we really wont need anything (except patience lol).

Thanks AlterEgo, will give them a call tomorrow. Staying at a hotel isnt on the options list for financial reasons...

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Could someone recommend a company theyve used to move from the DR to the U.S.?

The time has finally come to get the process started for our big move to the Florida..

I initially felt I would be able to sell all my possesions and then move but after much thought ive come to the conclusion that selling somethings will be extremely difficult for the simple reason that they are items that will be used until the last day we are here (beds, fridge, tvs, washer, etc.) so I have decided that finding a decent moving company will be my next best alternative.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what company is dependable or knows of a way I havent thought of so i might be able to sell everything off and then move it would be greatly appreciated.
I sold everything before I moved to the US, people paid in advance for each article and I kept some of the most important furniture (the bed,stove etc.) including the house. until the day before of my departure.

My two cents!

I did't bring nothing with me...

JJ

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
The way bachata did is probably the best way, economiclly speaking.

We recently quoted through a moving service, a 40 foot container from Santo Domingo to Houston, Texas, US$7,200.00!!!

I know through the freight companies we use at work, I can ship a 40' container from Caucedo to Miami then via rail to Jacksonville and delivered via Tractor to destination address in Jacksonville for US$1,500.00 all transpo included. This was Sea Board Line.

Which I think is very reasonable, So if you can load and unload your container, then I think it is worth it.

Trying to sell everything and have everything picked up last minute might be great if you can pull it off, we have 3 boys and all their stuff too as well as they need to be cared for during this time too.

Our exit date is still a ways off, but I am sure it will arrive faster than even I expect it too, and we hope to sell the house 1st.

So anybody looking for a trade for a house in Houston, we can talk!

g'luck

Last edited:
well the first couple months we'll be staying with my parents (ugh) until i can get on my feet again so we really wont need anything (except patience lol).

Thanks AlterEgo, will give them a call tomorrow. Staying at a hotel isnt on the options list for financial reasons...

Ok I don't quite understand how for financial reasons you can't stay in a cheap hotel but can send all your stuff to the US?!??
It cannot be cheaper to do that?!?!

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Ok I don't quite understand how for financial reasons you can't stay in a cheap hotel but can send all your stuff to the US?!??

I guess the way I see it is spending money on a hotel is completely throwing money away. Sending my stuff to the states i see as just an added cost to the move. I guess if i had to stay in a hotel for couple nights I could but thats close to a 100 bucks a night im not ready to throw away at the moment.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
@ donluis....
My 1st quote thru a moving company was $13,000 or so..... 40' for furniture and car.

I did it myself for about $4500 if I recall correctly.... not hard.

Freight forwarder .... Benchmark Export in Essington PA did the work.....
Actually, theOP can try them.. they work in forward and reverse to RD ( Stephanie is the contact)
She coordinated w/ Hispaniola Freight in SD for the arrival.

These people do this for a living.... no middle men like a mover has

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
You can make a profit selling your furniture in DR.

Example a used but in great condition stove my bough it pre- owned in Jersey for $ 100. Bucks was sold in DR after three years of servise in Santiago for $14,000. RD.

Appliances are very expencive in DR.

JJ

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I've been disenchanted one to many times here and vowed never to return (but I always do).
Then I began shopping around in FLA and read a few forums.
To my surprise I thought I was reading the DR1 forum. Most people complained
about the same things as here. Crime, corrupt police & politicians, shady people, scammers, traffic you name it.
My for sale signs are still up but I haven't thrown in the towel (my friends keep me positive).
We all live and perceive things differently.
Let us know which company you end up using.

I wish you the best on your move as I realize this is a tough decision.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
In the "say it ain't so" category, I just got my first quote for moving 5 cubic meters - which is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wdikdNYmtM from Santo Domingo to north of Miami
and it was $3200. So - I have ??? out to a few other movers.. and then will perhaps -- well -- cut it in half? or take five suitcases instead? For that amount of money I could pay for the airfares of two folks to come to Miami with me and carry suitcases.. aargh,,.,,
it is the BOOKs,,, the books.. I have to trust that they are all going to be available at the public library yes? And give them to the Peace Corps? (most are on international development - stuff like that- not novels ) ... ... ouch.. parting with the books..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

You and me both, but then there is the point of still having the stuff you send and not having to buy it again in the US. Getting quotes will determine if moving the stuff is worth it.