CURE international

canchita

Feb 18, 2014
Hi ya'll,

I have been reading dr1 off and on for the last 9 years after spending three months in the DR in College. 8 years ago I tried to get a long term volunteer position in the DR but it didn't work out and ended up in Guatemala. After being back in the US for awhile, I'm ready to explore again (and learn some Dominican Spanish!). So, I am considering spending about 3 months this summer volunteering at the CURE international hospital in Santo Domingo. Does anyone know anything about this organization?

tharpy24

Dec 18, 2013
Cure

Hi ya'll,

I have been reading dr1 off and on for the last 9 years after spending three months in the DR in College. 8 years ago I tried to get a long term volunteer position in the DR but it didn't work out and ended up in Guatemala. After being back in the US for awhile, I'm ready to explore again (and learn some Dominican Spanish!). So, I am considering spending about 3 months this summer volunteering at the CURE international hospital in Santo Domingo. Does anyone know anything about this organization?

Hi,

I was introduced to the CURE organization and Dr. Scott Nelson in 2008 when I was in need of a knee surgery. I was really impressed with Dr. Nelson, he performed an excellent knee surgery (I should know it was my 5th) and was a very caring individual. While I was meeting with him I learned a little about the organization. I was one of the few insured, foreign patients that he had. I believe that the organization specializes in pediatric
orthopedics, specifically with children that are born with disabilities or birth defects. While I was meeting with Dr. Nelson I gathered that the organization is affiliated with a religion (I think 7th day Adventist). The hospital is certainly basic, but it was clean and pretty organized (especially compared to Dominican standards). Overall it seemed like an excellent organization that was making a real impact in the community. That all being said, I haven't had any contact with the organization in the last 6 years.

I hope that helps...

canchita

Feb 18, 2014
Thanks for the replies. For some reason I didn't get notifications that someone had responded and I kinda forgot that I had posted something (yay for working long days!).

I do appreciate the personal experience. I went ahead and signed up for a 3 month term this summer. As far as I'm aware, it is not part of the 7th day adventist church but more non-denominational. I really hope that is true as I don't think I would fit in too well with them being a Mennonite.

My understanding is that the majority of their services are charity surgeries for children with deformities and birth defects, just like you said tharpy24 and they also have a large club foot program. Occasionally they might have a private paying person but most people do not spend the night at the hospital.

I am looking forward to this challenge as I generally work with adult cardiovascular surgery with an occasional adult trauma or ortho patient! Should be a good time learning about the little people!